yconic - Which of these schools has the greatest Arab population?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which of these schools has the greatest Arab population?

A photo of Rymas Rymas

I will be doing BSc for the next 4 yrs to get into Med, so far my gpa is around 95 & I'm applying to:

Mac - Life Science.

McGill - Biomed.

UofT - Life sci.

Western - Biomed.

Queen's - Life Science

I'm just wondering if I would find some friendly arab students on campus especially @ Queen's & McGill. And, generally, what school has the most arab students within Ontario/Canada?

My best friends are applying to almost the same schools though some of them are still undecided where to go.

Rymas N.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
University of Ottawa has the most arabs in my opinion..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian

@Respects wrote
York, Ryerson, UTSC, UTM, and maybe UTSG. Mac, McGill, Western and Queens are mostly white.

Respects,, while you have Queens correct at being primary white, UWO is over half Chinese/Asian. It also has a significant Muslim population. McGill, by true international country of origin, is the most multi-cultural of all Uni's/

Rymas, are you in Ontario now or from outside Canada ? If you can, visit a few campuses to see for yourself what it feels like. If you have no way to visit beforehand, a University in Toronto (UofT or York) would for sure give you access to whatever cultural aspects you need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc

@Respects wrote
York, Ryerson, UTSC, UTM, and maybe UTSG. Mac, McGill, Western and Queens are mostly white.

I don't know about other schools, but Mac definitely isn't mostly white. There are many Asians and "brown" people (ie. Indian, Pakistani, Middle Eastern...) There is a very large Arab population at Mac.

As Meridian said, try to visit some of the campuses to see what they're like. And drop by the MacMSA to meet tons of very polite, friendly and helpful Arabs and Muslims :) PM for details
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SassyAmbivalence SassyAmbivalence
You'll find plenty of Arabs at McGill. I know many Moroccans, Syrians, Lebanese hommies there :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ I believe McGill has the greatest concentration of international students of any school in Canada, but that stat can be deceiving, particularly in that a solid majority of those international students is probably just American. Secondly, while U of T may not even have as many non-American international students as McGill, you have to remember that Toronto is a VERY multicultural city. Nearly half of the city's residents were born in another country. These residents who were born in another country and who are attending U of T will not show up as being "international students," but they probably still retain a lot of their cultural identity, making them very similar to international students.

That being said, both sound like good choices for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alilapointe wrote
Hi guys, I'm applying to both UofT and McGill. I'm Moroccan, and I was wondering if their are any other Moroccans in Toronto applying to UofT. I know Mcgill is bound to have tons of them (cuz it's Montreal), but I want to know if anyone knows any going to UofT that are native to Toronto (rather than international students from Morocco).

Hello fellow Moroccan :cheers:

I know some Moroccans who go to UofT and are native of Toronto. But I don't know that many (In comparison to the neighboring universities...say York)

I don't know any Moroccans who to go Mcgill at a personal level, but obviously due to McGill's location, I wouldn't doubt their high numbers.

...Hope to see you at Mcgill inshaAllah :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
You know you can talk to us honkies too...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@alilapointe wrote

@OscarUK wrote
You know you can talk to us honkies too...

Obviously. I don't have any Moroccan friends in Toronto, actually, most of my friends are Chinese or South Asian (guess which suburb I'm from!). I was just wondering if there were any other Moroccans applying to UofT, that's all.

@SassyAmbivalence wrote

Hello fellow Moroccan :cheers:

I know some Moroccans who go to UofT and are native of Toronto. But I don't know that many (In comparison to the neighboring universities...say York)

I don't know any Moroccans who to go Mcgill at a personal level, but obviously due to McGill's location, I wouldn't doubt their high numbers.

...Hope to see you at Mcgill inshaAllah :D

Hi, nice to meet you! Thanks for the info.

Are you from Toronto, too? Sadly, I'm more or less certain on going to UofT, so I wont get to see you around...

Ha. Not from Toronto - Hamilton. Moroccan population is almost nonexistent here, so it's always to know that other fellow Moroccans exist :P

Out of curiosity, why the UofT preference?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of petarpoparacrni petarpoparacrni
Go for the better school regardless of wheter its Arab or not. In all honesty your wasting your time with this unless you really want a Arab girlfriend/boyfriend and/or Arab friends.

Was this helpful? Yes 0