yconic - Which one? Western or Queen's????
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which one? Western or Queen's????

A photo of jeffreyT jeffreyT
OK, so Queen's and Western are my top two choices for University when I applied, I'm in grade 12. I know I'm probably gonna get bashed for this, but which one is better in your opinion? They both satisfy me with program choices (I'm going into social sci for both), so I guess I'm looking for opinion more based on the social life, dorms, school spirit and about classes in general. I already have an early acceptance from Wilfred Laurier with an entrance scholarship of 1000$, but I know that's not where I want to go.

One of my math teachers said Western was leg-en-dary, and couldn't stop talking, my guidance teacher went to Queen's and said it was even more awesome and legendary, but she admits being a little biased as she went there. I've hear a lot about both...

And don't tell me it's based on my personal opinion, I know that, I just want to hear other people's opinions haha. So what are your thoughts? Any thoughts from personal experiences/stories are greatly appreciated! :D And they're both rivals which I find interesting, as both of them are also on opposite sides of Ontario. Oh and sorry this post is so long, I'm just interested and want some good answers :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Personally, I would much rather go to Queen's. Better rep and Western's notorious for being a party school, even though they party quite a bit at Queen's too.

The students at both seem very happy with their choices in general though. I don't really think you can go wrong with either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yep, Western and Queen's both typically score very highly in student satisfaction.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GAC2015 GAC2015
Go to Queen's :!:
My friend goes there and loves it. Though Western'd be a good choice, too I think In the end it's your choice where to go, and you'll make the right decision depending on what's suiting you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annikadenhollander777 annikadenhollander777
My best advice is to visit the campus's. I heard this advice and I thought it was stupid, but it was the best choice I ever made. I visited western, and almost instantly I knew it was NOT for me. I did not like the feel of both London or the campus. I couldn't even picture myself there. Although I did not go to the Queen's campus, from pictures alone I liked it a LOT better. But by visiting the McMaster campus, I knew right away I wanted to go there. I could actually picture myself going there. Thats the best advice I could give, just visit them. I did not go on a guided tour because the tour guide you get could change your mind about how each University is like, either positively or negatively. I just went with my older sister, and walked around by ourselves, allowing the University, not just one person, to make an impression on me.

Also, by reputation, Western is a party school and it would not be good for your grades if your tempted to party a lot (especially if you live on residence, its harder to resist partying). Queens has a better reputation, especially as far as grades go. But just go visit on your own :)

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annikadenhollander777 annikadenhollander777
Also, remember that first year is the hardest because that is how a University "weeds out" all students who are not as serious about studying, and who would rather party a lot more than necessary. You do not pay this much money just to go to a bunch of parties, and you need to take this opportunity seriously. If you are someone who is easily influenced by her peers, like I am sometimes, then I would suggest Queens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stevie Stevie
This is excellent advice. I have applied to both Western and Queen's which are my top two choices, as well as applied to Laurentian where I have gotten an early acceptance with a scholarship. However I am faced with the same problem as you, Western or Queen's? I have visited both campuses and Queen's is by far a much lovlier campus. Visit the campus yourself though, and that will decide it for you. If you are still stuck on a decision, an option my friend told me is to get the information on the programs you want then take away the name of the university. Choose the program that you like better :)

@annikadenhollander777 wrote
My best advice is to visit the campus's. I heard this advice and I thought it was stupid, but it was the best choice I ever made. I visited western, and almost instantly I knew it was NOT for me. I did not like the feel of both London or the campus. I couldn't even picture myself there. Although I did not go to the Queen's campus, from pictures alone I liked it a LOT better. But by visiting the McMaster campus, I knew right away I wanted to go there. I could actually picture myself going there. Thats the best advice I could give, just visit them. I did not go on a guided tour because the tour guide you get could change your mind about how each University is like, either positively or negatively. I just went with my older sister, and walked around by ourselves, allowing the University, not just one person, to make an impression on me.

Also, by reputation, Western is a party school and it would not be good for your grades if your tempted to party a lot (especially if you live on residence, its harder to resist partying). Queens has a better reputation, especially as far as grades go. But just go visit on your own :)

Hope this helps!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
1) Queen's is also known for partying.

2) Program is much more important than campus. For example, I fell in love with the McGill campus and could really "picture myself" there, yet it's my third choice because when I take everything into account, U of T and UBC are better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm at Queen's for engineering, and I absolutely LOVE it. Ask anyone here, and they will be so proud they go to Queens. We have a million traditions, from insane frosh weeks (we climbed a huge pole covered in grease just to get a tam from the top- which was completely worth the 2 hours it took!), as well as an awesome campus, and fairly small classes comparatively. Queen's has amazing spirit.
The res buildings are for the most part (other than Leggett the new one) fairly old, but honestly the building itself doesn't matter you will have an unreal time with the people!
Keeping my love for Queen's, especially my faculty, in mind, I also have to say Western is a good school. We love to hate them, and some of the stereotypes are true, they will admit it. But my sister goes to Western and is absolutely in love with it.
I know you don't want to hear it, but it really is just your preference. You will come out loving your school either way.
They are both somewhat party schools, but that just means they both have amazing school spirit.
Was this helpful? Yes 1