yconic - Which Program Should I Go To?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which Program Should I Go To?

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
Hi

If I can't get into one of the programs at Laurier, should I go to Guelph BCom or Nipissing BBA?

I know that both aren't that great of programs. I originally applied to Waterloo AFM but I didn't get an invite :(
So I applied to Nipissing so that I wouldn't be wasting $40.

I will likely get into Laurier Honours Economics, but if not, I'm kinda stuck.

Oh yeah, and I want to become a CA.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of Chara Chara
Whats your average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chara wrote
Whats your average

~84 but my average might be lower for midterms
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
so farrr away nippising haha, are you thinking honours economics cuz you don't think you'll get into business administration?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
Guelph?
But I would really think of this more deeply, do you really want to go to a not-so-great program? If I were you I would consider coming back a semester and upgrading your marks, Laurier BBA will accept any repeated courses. Its an extra year, sure. But its going to Laurier BBA over Guelph if you wait a year which won't matter when its all said and done. Plus, when your off for a semester you could get some work experience that would help you for co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mikey12y wrote
so farrr away nippising haha, are you thinking honours economics cuz you don't think you'll get into business administration?

Ya
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LWilliams wrote
Guelph?
But I would really think of this more deeply, do you really want to go to a not-so-great program? If I were you I would consider coming back a semester and upgrading your marks, Laurier BBA will accept any repeated courses. Its an extra year, sure. But its going to Laurier BBA over Guelph if you wait a year which won't matter when its all said and done. Plus, when your off for a semester you could get some work experience that would help you for co-op.

I really don't want to go back for another semester. Really. And where you go for your undergrad doesn't really matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikey12y mikey12y
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can still go for your CA with honours economics too so thats pretty sweet. I think you'll get in did you hand in an ABS form?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chara Chara

@thecookiemonster wrote

I really don't want to go back for another semester. Really. And where you go for your undergrad doesn't really matter.

Well....kinda. If you're going for CA anyways its not really going to hurt you if don't go to a top school or anything, and employers probably wont care too much, theyd look at your work experience more. But there is a difference between a program like lauriers and guelphs. I wouldn't want to end up at a school I didn't want to be at for 3 or 4 years when there was a possibility of going somewhere better.
Wait a little while first before stressing yourself out with it though, maybe your acceptance will come.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mikey12y wrote
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can still go for your CA with honours economics too so thats pretty sweet. I think you'll get in did you hand in an ABS form?

Ya, it's fully-accredited I think. And ya I did.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Chara wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

Well....kinda. If you're going for CA anyways its not really going to hurt you if don't go to a top school or anything, and employers probably wont care too much, theyd look at your work experience more. But there is a difference between a program like lauriers and guelphs. I wouldn't want to end up at a school I didn't want to be at for 3 or 4 years when there was a possibility of going somewhere better.
Wait a little while first before stressing yourself out with it though, maybe your acceptance will come.

Ya I know, although at Guelph/Nipissing I could stand out better too.

I don't know how much better I could do if I came back anyways. And my parents want me in university this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Go for Laurier BBA, I've heard good things about the program.

Haven't really heard anything in regards to Guelph BComm/Nipissing BBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serendipity wrote
Go for Laurier BBA, I've heard good things about the program.

Haven't really heard anything in regards to Guelph BComm/Nipissing BBA.

I don't think I will get into Laurier BBA, and might not even get the alternate offer to Honours Ec.

There's a good chance it will be between Nipissing and Guelph.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=3343

It seems Guelph is okay for accounting. Or is there a stream of commerce that you want to focus on (finance/management/accounting)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serendipity wrote
http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=3343

It seems Guelph is okay for accounting. Or is there a stream of commerce that you want to focus on (finance/management/accounting)?

Thanks. I want to get my CA. Guelph only has 36 credit-hours but is supposed to have them all by next year, where as Nipissing has all 51.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
That's a tough choice.... I'd probably go with Guelph.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
That's a tough choice.... I'd probably go with Guelph.

Yeah it is. I do like the co-op at Guelph.

Does anyone know if there are any programs I can still apply to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
Apply to Brock accounting co-op, I heard it is an amazing program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Err I know the University of Calgary Haskayne School of Business has a decent undergrad program with okay recruitment based in Calgary (read: a lot of oil/gas companies).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hurricaine Hurricaine
Guelph for sure. Hand in your ABS for Laurier as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ I don't know if I want to go to Calgary

^^ Well Brock BAcc is the same admission average needed as Laurier Honours Economics

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Hurricaine wrote
Guelph for sure. Hand in your ABS for Laurier as well.

I handed in the ABS.

The only issue is that Guelph doesn't have all 51 credit-hours as of now. Nipissing does.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted