yconic - Which RESPECTED Universties could i get into with just average grades?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which RESPECTED Universties could i get into with just average grades?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Anywhere from 70s-80s...

but not like those "polytechnic" universities... a legit one that doesnt need 90% average to get into!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
35 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Depends on the program. 70s is going to be cutting it REALLY close for a lot of programs/universities
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ArchEnemy ArchEnemy
With 70-80%, university is still an option. What program are you intending to enroll it? It helps others to narrow down the options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
ETH Zurich
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
why aren't u gonna get a 90? It's a very achievable grade if u just put a little effort in. Most programs require mid 80s to high 80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@esin wrote
why aren't u gonna get a 90? It's a very achievable grade if u just put a little effort in. Most programs require mid 80s to high 80s.

well im just saying, im taking a lot of hard courses so chances are im not going to get a 90.... we arent all geniuses.

and ARMY if you dont have anything nice to say then go away!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JeXx JeXx
You don't need to be a genius to have an average of 90%. Usually I'm a 70 to 80% student, this year though I decided to kick my game up a little, I worked my ass off all year and ended up with the highest average in my grade.97 in math, 96 in english, 91 in social, 91 in french, 95 in science, (im in 10th grade). Yeah it kills but you have to want it hard enough, it's not about being a genius. And it is achievable even if you have a lot on your schedule, I had ballet, jazz, tap, all year and had to assist on saturday mornings for a young kids class, I had singing, choir, and band also, and occasionally had to sing on sundays. So anyone who thinks it's about being a genius you are so wrong. If you want to get in a high class university, either you take your classes again or you make a really convincing letter or interview or whatever. Honestly you can have whatever you want it's just about working hard at it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@karbear32 wrote

@esin wrote

well im just saying, im taking a lot of hard courses so chances are im not going to get a 90.... we arent all geniuses.

You don't need to be a genius to get 80s or even low 90s in high school. Even those without innate talent in a given discipline can get 80s, at the very least, with some hard work and perhaps some tutoring in areas where they are weak.

When I was in high school, I tutored plenty of students in math. Math seems to be a subject that gives a lot of people difficulty, but if you put in the effort, and get help with it if your teacher doesn't explain things in a way that you can understand, then you can manage to do okay. The same with chemistry and physics. Biology is a matter of pure memorization.

Basically, get help if you need it in the subjects that are your weaknesses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@karbear32 wrote

@esin wrote

I totally agree with that. Some courses in some schools (and some teachers in particular schools, even) can be very tough, and even the strongest, hardest-working student may end up disappointed. Looks like some of the posters here are just very lucky to avoid these.

With low 80's, you can get into most arts programs at UTSG, I believe. For 70's, look for some of the less competitive programs at York. Just ignore ARMY101 or report him abusive (he's lying to you, by the way). Even the respected universities do have a few programs with low-70's range cut-offs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@superstar2011 wrote
Just ignore ARMY101 or report him abusive (he's lying to you, by the way). Even the respected universities do have a few programs with low-70's range cut-offs.

Just because their minimum acceptable entrance is around the 70's doesn't mean you'll get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JeXx JeXx
Haha wow got lucky hey? This is has nothing to do with luck you leave your life in the hands of luck you won't get far. It's about wanting hard enough and doing something about it. The only thing that is stopping you from getting what you want, is yourself. Not some hard program or some university requirements or whatever the hell it is you want. The question is, is a high class university really going to get you where you want to be in life? I think you might be surprised with the answer, but if this is really what you want, deep down, if you would do anything to get this, you'll get it because you'll do whatever it takes, either it's sending a lot of letters, getting a lot of recommendations or whatever idk, but you'll get it, don't stop yourself though. In the end whatever hard work you did is going to pay off. In maybe a more surprising way then you think, but don't ever think that 90's are not achievable it's just a matter of having a reason to get those 90's it's about the drive. What's driving you to be your best? What's your goal and what do you want to make of it. If you think it's about getting lucky to get 90's, hell you are so wrong.

In the end it's about what you want? Don't let somebody tell you, you won't get it. It might take longer than you would like but if you want it hard enough it'll come your way, if you're ready to do another year of schooling or whatever if you're ready for whatever it takes to get what you want, than I get guarantee you will get it.

Hahaha wow I'm re-reading this and I'm realizing I'm giving you a cheer team and I'm not even answering your question I'm so sorry! Haha, anyways I hope I helped with my words of encouragement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@JeXx wrote
In the end whatever hard work you did is going to pay off. In maybe a more surprising way then you think, but don't ever think that 90's are not achievable it's just a matter of having a reason to get those 90's it's about the drive. What's driving you to be your best? What's your goal and what do you want to make of it. If you think it's about getting lucky to get 90's, hell you are so wrong.

Whoa, slow down there! I do not mean that getting 90's is about getting lucky. I certainly don't "wish" for my marks to be in the 90's without taking action. Of course you need to work hard and aim for it. What I meant by "those guys must be very lucky" was that nothing terrible happened to stop you. Hard work pays off, but not always. Anything can happen, and for example you can mess up on your final exam because of family issues, serious illness, or whatever, after consistently achieving 90's through hard work.

Your words are very encouraging, I'll give you that. I hope the OP's confidence is boosted. I do love your second paragraph.

@JeXx wrote
In the end it's about what you want? Don't let somebody tell you, you won't get it. It might take longer than you would like but if you want it hard enough it'll come your way, if you're ready to do another year of schooling or whatever if you're ready for whatever it takes to get what you want, than I get guarantee you will get it.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

thanks that paragraph was actually very insightful, i really enjoyed it :)

and guys i said 70s-80s. not 70. I was meaning more early 80s.

thanks for the help everyone!! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
Just do your homework..geez. Almost any university has some programs that only require high 70s to get in, even UofT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JeXx JeXx
Haha I'm sorry got a little carried away there, and its true personal events can happen that may influence your grades, if your grades are more in the 80's, you should be able to find something, there's a lot of things that grades don't take into consideration like your social skills and such, if those universities see the skills that you have that aren't really shown by your grades you'll have a better chance of getting in, but it's just a matter of showing them those skills and those talents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Since most universities don't require a supplemental application, I see no possible way you could show them your "social skills and such"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JeXx JeXx
Oh there are ways if you really want to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@ktel wrote
^ Since most universities don't require a supplemental application, I see no possible way you could show them your "social skills and such"

Plenty of universities in Ontario either require a supplemental application, or allow you to provide one if you so choose.

I know at Guelph, for instance, if you are just short of the requirement for a given program, you can fill out a supplementary application, and depending on the contents of that application, and the program in question, they may still consider you.

This is actually what Guelph says:

"We recognize that non-academic factors play an important role in students' lives. The Student Profile Form (SPF) is your opportunity to tell the Admission Committee about activities that you have been involved in and that have helped you develop leadership and citizenship qualities. Factors beyond your control that have negatively affected your academic performance, such as illness or personal problems, will be considered. If your admission average in May does not meet the cut-off for the program to which you have applied, your SPF will be considered if your average falls within 5% of the determined cut-off."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samwise575 samwise575
You'll get into Queen's arts with an 80 average. UofT arts even lower, probably 75. Even UofT science isn't that competitive due to the huge class sizes. Somebody in my highschool got into UofT life sci with a 77 average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaxwellMedicine MaxwellMedicine
Carlton.

Oh wait, we're talking about respected unis...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MaxwellMedicine wrote
Carlton.

Oh wait, we're talking about respected unis...

Carleton is highly respected, and I doubt they'd let this average person in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0