yconic - Which School Boosts Your Mark The Most?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which School Boosts Your Mark The Most?

A photo of rafizaman rafizaman
Between Rotman, Schulich, Richard Ivey, and Queens, which uni boosts your mark the most (in order to get into a good graduate program) and which one is the hardest?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
Graduate schools (only talking about MBA here), put little weight on your grades. They care much more about your GMAT scores, work experience, references, essays etc. They're actually smart enough to realize that an A at Rotman may not be the same as an A at Queens. Brilliant!

And stop planing for something that is probably 7-10 years down the road, go out and get laid or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
LOL ^ really? hahahahahaha.

Anyways, maybe he/she shouldn't worry about grad school now but GPA does matter in many cases.

Like when applying for a job, any position can have over 50+ applicants for 1 position, so managers dont really have the time to look through all the resumes, so they base it off of GPA to help reduce the pool of applicants, then they look in depth. So a 3.6 vs. a 3.2 makes a HUGE difference, because with a lower GPA, you might not even get looked at.

Of course, this is different with campus recruiting... because they actually can then access you based on your fellow class mates (if GPA is low for everybody, a 3.2 isn't so bad).

But for the OP, Ivey will probably give you the best GPA (not saying it's easier however). This is because you need at least an 80% for the first 2 years. And then the curve during the final 2 years is also put to an 80, compared to McGill which is a 65-70 and U of T which is around a 68.

Queen's im not sure about. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LampShade wrote
LOL ^ really? hahahahahaha.

Anyways, maybe he/she shouldn't worry about grad school now but GPA does matter in many cases.

Like when applying for a job, any position can have over 50+ applicants for 1 position, so managers dont really have the time to look through all the resumes, so they base it off of GPA to help reduce the pool of applicants, then they look in depth. So a 3.6 vs. a 3.2 makes a HUGE difference, because with a lower GPA, you might not even get looked at.

Of course, this is different with campus recruiting... because they actually can then access you based on your fellow class mates (if GPA is low for everybody, a 3.2 isn't so bad).

But for the OP, Ivey will probably give you the best GPA (not saying it's easier however). This is because you need at least an 80% for the first 2 years. And then the curve during the final 2 years is also put to an 80, compared to McGill which is a 65-70 and U of T which is around a 68.

Queen's im not sure about. Good luck!

Which part are we LOL'ing about?

Grades will only matter for your first job, after that its much more about experience. For top tier firms the most relevant thing is the school you go to (Source: http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2011/11/how_elite_firms.html ). Really once your above a certain point (I'd say a 75%, maybe 80% average), grades don't matter that much.

Saying that Ivey will give you the best GPA because you need an 80% to get in is a huge selection bias which makes mark comparison across programs near nigh impossible. You can always take the average mark people achieve there, but there are far too many factors to be indicative of determining if the program is actually easier (quality of competition for example).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yup, that's why I didn't say Ivey was easier. Just said you'll probably end up with a higher GPA if you make it through. Especially coming out of the schools the OP is talking about, GPA probably matters more than where he comes from since they are all excellent schools. And yah, you're 100% right that once you get to certain range, GPA doesn't matter AS much.

The example I gave was using a 3.6 which is around that range. Anything above that is great though!

And I was LOLing at your last sentence. Found it pretty amusing haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LampShade wrote

I say that a lot. Too many people are stressed out about thing way too far down the line. Just do what makes you happy right now and enjoy the ride (or have someone ride you and enjoy that, if you catch my drift).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Agreed haha. Life's way too short to worry half the time!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Schen Schen

@Nick0rz wrote

@LampShade wrote

I say that a lot. Too many people are stressed out about thing way too far down the line. Just do what makes you happy right now and enjoy the ride (or have someone ride you and enjoy that, if you catch my drift).

That's true, you shouldn't be focusing too much on graduate programs now since admission requirements and processes alter year to year (this means by the time you apply, the application process is different). However, it is still good to use the current admission requirements, such as a GPA cut-off to guide you through university.

Marks come into play anywhere you go including graduate schools and jobs. If marks aren't considered, why administer a mark to an individual in the first place?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Soccerboy Soccerboy
Hey, what if your overall average is 87 in Grade 11, but up till now you have 5 Grade 12 Courses at a 91 avg? Can you still get early acceptance?

How can we also push our guidance councillors into submitting our mid-term marks into the OUAC system, because they haven't done it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Soccerboy wrote
Hey, what if your overall average is 87 in Grade 11, but up till now you have 5 Grade 12 Courses at a 91 avg? Can you still get early acceptance?

How can we also push our guidance councillors into submitting our mid-term marks into the OUAC system, because they haven't done it.

Stop being a dick asking your question 5 times and maybe you'll get an answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0