yconic - Which school is better?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which school is better?

A photo of KangJules KangJules
Hey guys,

I've applied to many university in Ontario. I'm currently a Quebec student from CEGEP (post-secondary school)with an average of 81% (I think our grades here are weighted more because post-secondary school is much harder than highschool, in fact in many university admissions, the average admission requirement for CEGEP are generally lower than Ontario requirements).

I've applied to York (BA), Queens (Bcomm), Laurier Ba financial math, Ottawa U (bcomm), Carleton (bcomm), Concordia John Molson business school (bcomm), Waterloo Math and Mcmasters Business.

Currently I've been accepted in:

Ottawa with scholarship of 8000$
Carleton (Didn't apply for scholarship yet)
Laurier (Didn't apply for scholarship yet)
Concordia (John Molson)(Didn't apply for scholarship yet)

Pending: York, Queens, McMaster, waterloo

My question is: In the schools that I've been admitted to, which one is best (in order)and also, do I have a chance in the schools that are still pending with my 81% average? If not I'm applying next year but around how much GPA do I need?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101

@KangJules wrote
Hey guys,

I've applied to many university in Ontario. I'm currently a Quebec student from CEGEP (post-secondary school)with an average of 81% (I think our grades here are weighted more because post-secondary school is much harder than highschool, in fact in many university admissions, the average admission requirement for CEGEP are generally lower than Ontario requirements).

I've applied to York (BA), Queens (Bcomm), Laurier Ba financial math, Ottawa U (bcomm), Carleton (bcomm), Concordia John Molson business school (bcomm), Waterloo Math and Mcmasters Business.

My question is: In the schools that I've been admitted to, which one is best (in order)and also, do I have a chance in the schools that are still pending with my 81% average? If not I'm applying next year but around how much GPA do I need?

Thanks

In my opinion Ottawa (Because scholarship), Concordia, Carleton and Laurier but it really depends on what you are interested in.

In terms of the Uni you are waiting for, York: Yes
Queen's: NO
Mac: probably not
Waterloo: I don't think so
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@honourstudent101 wrote

@KangJules wrote
Hey guys,

Thanks

In my opinion Ottawa (Because scholarship), Concordia, Carleton and Laurier but it really depends on what you are interested in.

In terms of the Uni you are waiting for, York: Yes
Queen's: NO
Mac: probably not
Waterloo: I don't think so

Thanks a lot, see that's the kind of answer I was searching for because I find that ontario and Quebec students have a lot of different views on Universities.

For instance Mcgill isn't that much big a deal for students here but it is for students in ontario.

I thought that I would have the least chance to get into York; I thought it was one of the most prestigious and best business schools isn't it?... and more chance in Mcmasters since apparently it only asks for low to mid 80s..

Oh and for future replies, please ignore the scholarship. Money isn't an issue for me and I wish to base my decision on the school that I wish to go to solely on its quality, not on other factors such as scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shandal shandal
haha i agree with you too, money is not an issue for me as well. I got into the utsc co op managment and the laurier bba/financial math doubel degree co op. so im gauranteed pretty much for co op in both programs.

I my self am an extremley lazy student, not stupid...but i still got low 90s in like 6/8 courses, other two are like high 80s atm. Therefore i need support from my family to get on my task and i often doze in class, so if i dont understand something, i can ask my friends/tutors/my dad (mba from queens) with ease. And to be away from home i will feel like hell lol, cause i am really dependent and stuff, and i dont want this huge change of events make me fail first year, thats the last thing i want.

But im pretty sure the envrionment and ppl in laurier is much better than utsc. I went to utsc and everyone is of asian descent, I am an south asian brought up here, but i know how anti social a lot of the asians can be lol. and im guessing your caucassian if your from quebec? communicating with them, especailly if your not from their cultural background can be pretty hard, from what i heard.

The campus in utsc is not so amazing as well, reminds me of my highschool lol. And dont worry about the big classes, they usually kick about half of the ppl first year :p, atleast for utsc...their classes are pretty hard apparently and try to get rid of a lot of ppl ( i have a friend in the normal mangment). Laurier is more social, party like etc.

it might seem like im trying to defend laurier, but im just saying what i know basically...utsc's co op mangment is excellent. So is laurier, but since ur in the normal program its going to be even more difficult for you i beleive...to get a co op position. Now...going for internships or work stuff after uni is the wrong approach. business is a very competitive program, and you want to do as much as possible in the shortest amount of time, so go for co op eitehr way for sure..it will help you a lot. Both courses are awesome...but once you do your mba/ca/cfa ( you need a 75 in uni for that overall i think?) your bacherlors degree won't matter as much as your mba for sure, so dont worry about prestige lol. ppl say go to schulich, go here...thats stupid especially for a undergraduate. you have to do well in uni, get 70s atleast, go for 80s if u can, employers will love you, especially mba.

sorry for terrible grammar and spelling, im last minute studying for my test lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@shandal wrote
haha i agree with you too, money is not an issue for me as well. I got into the utsc co op managment and the laurier bba/financial math doubel degree co op. so im gauranteed pretty much for co op in both programs.

I my self am an extremley lazy student, not stupid...but i still got low 90s in like 6/8 courses, other two are like high 80s atm. Therefore i need support from my family to get on my task and i often doze in class, so if i dont understand something, i can ask my friends/tutors/my dad (mba from queens) with ease. And to be away from home i will feel like hell lol, cause i am really dependent and stuff, and i dont want this huge change of events make me fail first year, thats the last thing i want.

But im pretty sure the envrionment and ppl in laurier is much better than utsc. I went to utsc and everyone is of asian descent, I am an south asian brought up here, but i know how anti social a lot of the asians can be lol. and im guessing your caucassian if your from quebec? communicating with them, especailly if your not from their cultural background can be pretty hard, from what i heard.

The campus in utsc is not so amazing as well, reminds me of my highschool lol. And dont worry about the big classes, they usually kick about half of the ppl first year :p, atleast for utsc...their classes are pretty hard apparently and try to get rid of a lot of ppl ( i have a friend in the normal mangment). Laurier is more social, party like etc.

it might seem like im trying to defend laurier, but im just saying what i know basically...utsc's co op mangment is excellent. So is laurier, but since ur in the normal program its going to be even more difficult for you i beleive...to get a co op position. Now...going for internships or work stuff after uni is the wrong approach. business is a very competitive program, and you want to do as much as possible in the shortest amount of time, so go for co op eitehr way for sure..it will help you a lot. Both courses are awesome...but once you do your mba/ca/cfa ( you need a 75 in uni for that overall i think?) your bacherlors degree won't matter as much as your mba for sure, so dont worry about prestige lol. ppl say go to schulich, go here...thats stupid especially for a undergraduate. you have to do well in uni, get 70s atleast, go for 80s if u can, employers will love you, especially mba.

sorry for terrible grammar and spelling, im last minute studying for my test lol

Thanks haha I get a bit the vibe from Laurier now :D I'm asian actually born in Quebec and I know exactly what you mean by the anti social thing that's exactly why I didn't apply to mcgill management and might not consider York if I do get accepted.

Something I don't get is that it seems normal for ontario students to get high 80's to 90s average. In quebec having mid 85s is considered extremely good. Do you calculate your averages based on your top 6 or so classes or the sum of ALL classes?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hahah its not normal at all, ppl barley have my marks, there are ppl above me ofc, but like maybe 2 or 3 out of 30?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
What do you plan on going through for, and where do you plan on working?

Averages in Ontario are quite high. They're usually calculated by looking at a student's top 6 marks (including prerequisites). Cutoffs for some programs are in the low-90s, and many others are high/mid/low 80s. It's not overly uncommon for people to have 95+ averages- there's quite a number on this forum with averages that high.

I'm assuming you applied to York for Econ? York's not that reputable of a university. There's the Schulich School of Business there that's got an excellent rep, but that's about it (BBA and iBBA program, plus their MBA and stuff).

Did you apply to Laurier's double degree (BBA + BA) or just the BA in Financial Math? Laurier's not really known for math or anything (it's an arts degree, for goodness sake), and in the double degree you at least get the strong Laurier business undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

Averages in Ontario are quite high. They're usually calculated by looking at a student's top 6 marks (including prerequisites). Cutoffs for some programs are in the low-90s, and many others are high/mid/low 80s. It's not overly uncommon for people to have 95+ averages- there's quite a number on this forum with averages that high.

I'm assuming you applied to York for Econ? York's not that reputable of a university. There's the Schulich School of Business there that's got an excellent rep, but that's about it (BBA and iBBA program, plus their MBA and stuff).

Did you apply to Laurier's double degree (BBA + BA) or just the BA in Financial Math? Laurier's not really known for math or anything (it's an arts degree, for goodness sake), and in the double degree you at least get the strong Laurier business undergrad.

So they'll take my 6 top grades no matter the importance of it? I assume that they would never take Physical education but what if my top 6 classes are english, humanities, psychology and other social classes instead of Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, calculus, linear algebra, etc (I'm applying to Bcomm)? Also I applied to just Financial Math, and I applied to Schulich school of Business.

EDIT: I just calculated my averaged based on my top 6 classes excluding physical education and my average is 86%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
they would take physical education i think
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@KangJules wrote

@caveman wrote

So they'll take my 6 top grades no matter the importance of it? I assume that they would never take Physical education but what if my top 6 classes are english, humanities, psychology and other social classes instead of Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, calculus, linear algebra, etc (I'm applying to Bcomm)? Also I applied to just Financial Math, and I applied to Schulich school of Business.

EDIT: I just calculated my averaged based on my top 6 classes excluding physical education and my average is 86%

I'm not sure how they would calculate your average given that you are CEGEP. It might vary by school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0