yconic - Which school should I go to?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which school should I go to?

A photo of partisan partisan
I'll use schools "X" and "Y" to try and eliminate any personal biases.

School X
Better reputation
Better location
More diverse/multicultural

School Y
More interesting program
Smaller
More traditional (school spirit, etc.)
Easier to get good grades

Which would you choose and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Ocean Ocean
well, depends on what you want out of it. If location is most imporant to you, go with the one with better location. If you want to get into a grad program or law/med school, the one that gives easier marks is probably better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
So, Toronto/Guelph, or Waterloo/Lakehead?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
Y just sounds overall better. You want to do something that interests you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
I would personally go with school Y. But then again, I've never been one to really care about reputations of schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
If you're planning to go to a grad school after your undergraduate studies, definitely choose School Y because you will get better grades (easier, more interesting, etc).

If you are not sure or definitely will NOT go to grad school, then go to School X because reputation is important in this situation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Unless School X is an Ivy League/top-tier university outside of Canada, reputation means very little. What that reputation translates into is typically what more funding can get you, i.e. opportunities to network with amazing world-renowned faculty members, more connections to research and work opportunities, and more resources in general. Keep in mind, however, that unless you are a go-getter, these opportunities will be meaningless to you, so it might be better for you to attend a smaller university if you feel more comfortable in that sort of environment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0