yconic - Which to choose, which to choose...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which to choose, which to choose...

A photo of Raconteur Raconteur
(First post, hooray!)

Hi everyone, I'm here because honestly, I have no idea of what to do. I'm nearing the end of my CEGEP career and have to decide on what university would be best for me. I've been debating with myself whether I should go to McGill, University of Toronto or University of British Columbia. One may ask why on earth would I choose to study outside of my province and the answer is relatively simple; I freaking love to travel.

But I have no idea how the college life differs from each other, or which would provide me with more opportunities. I'm applying for social science, probably political science. My long term goal, however, is to get into either law or business. I'm fully aware that I'd end up paying more for studying outside of Quebec, so don't let that be too much of an issue.

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: I'm not sure if this helps any, but I'm a guy who really wants to get involved into my academics and athletics; what exactly comes to mind are martial arts (Muay-Thai and Judo) and fencing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

This post was deleted

Thanks for the reply! And I'm well motivated to continue with my studies after my bachelors, so that isn't that problem. Any reason why I should avoid all three?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Which school is best depends on what you want from your university. If it's a change of pace, and a new lifestyle you're after you need to look at the environment your university is in. I'm guessing you've been to McGill. UBC is very big but removed from the city, it has a lot of green space and you'll be living near the ocean in a gorgeous city. I personally haven;t visited U of T, but it's a lot more integrated with downtown from what I've heard( people please confirm or deny). If you want to go international afterwards, McGill os probably the safest bet, but by no means your only option. As for prestige, well, it is often overstated but these schools are all very well respected. Define what you want before you try and decide what's best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes U of T is right smack in the middle of downtown. U of T and UBC are both safe bets for going international, both are very well known.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I say McGill. I know you like to travel, but McGill's tuition for students from Quebec is outrageously low. Go there and make use of that. Do your masters degree elsewhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Again; thanks for the replies.

I haven't ever gotten the chance to visit Toronto or British Columbia, so essentially I'm relying on information coming from others. I'm a bit hesitant to attend McGill, because of the fact that I don't see myself staying in Quebec after I'm done with school. But I'll keep all of this in mind, thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
I havent been to Mcgill's campus, but I've been to UBC and UofT this september. I'd say UBC's campus is sooo awesome, close to the forest, ocean and only 20 mins bus ride from downtown vancouver. UBC has a lot of exchanage programs, you can choose between half year, or a full year! Trust me, you'll love vancouver as a city and UBC as a school for sure.

As for UofT, it's alright, I might go there if UBC rejects me, but who knows for now.

Good luck in ur uni applicaiton man!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@Raconteur wrote
Again; thanks for the replies.

I haven't ever gotten the chance to visit Toronto or British Columbia, so essentially I'm relying on information coming from others. I'm a bit hesitant to attend McGill, because of the fact that I don't see myself staying in Quebec after I'm done with school. But I'll keep all of this in mind, thanks again!

In terms of studying elsewhere after undergrad, I would actually say McGill is your best option of the 3, especially in UK/Europe it is by far the more well known of the 3 from personal experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0