yconic - Which university best meet this criterias
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which university best meet this criterias

A photo of Mar Mar

University - must be strong overall (it must have a somewhat strong business department, strong math department, strong computing department and strong engineering).

Programs - must have strong finance/accounting programs

Class Size - small/medium business core classes and rest can be X-Large

Business classes - start from year 1 or 2

Teaching technique - case study methodology

Class Participation - class discussions must take at most 15% of class time

Homework - Group projects and presentations ( if assigned)

Student Participation - a lot of different CLUBS CLUBS CLUBS (Must be easy for a business student to meet math/computing students and vice verse)

Co-op - co-op is a big +++

Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of RichardFuld RichardFuld
Sounds like Queens is perfect for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@RichardFuld wrote
Sounds like Queens is perfect for you.

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fiasco29 Fiasco29
Wow this man is PICKY!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asian123 asian123
im sure at Queens Commerce there is more class participation than 15%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Some of your requirements fit Queens, some fit Wateroo and a couple fit Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
How about Laurier?
It has those double degrees in math and whatever it is with Waterloo. Accounting is strong as far as I know, small university so I'll assume smaller classes, starts year 1, and it has a strong co-op program - something that most top business schools don't have at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
LOL GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TOEFL EXAM.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Thank you everyone

Can someone comment on UBC/SFU/UoT and Laurier/Waterloo double degree program?

@immaculatedx wrote

The problem with Ivey is that its business program starts in year 3 and a student must get 80% or higher in order to be considered for that program. I don't want to risk with my future. It is way too much risk for a little gain.

Queen's is a great business school. However, the university is not that strong over all. I looked in the rankings and its not even in top 100. I also heard that students from other departments are not fond of commerce students. I've talked to a bunch of people who are attending Queen's university but I am still undecided.
Is queen's commerce is similar to york's schulich program in terms that its business department rocks and rest of the university sucks?

Unfortunately I don't know much about Waterloo university. Judging on the programs they offer it looks that they have a very strong math, accounting and computing departments.
What teaching methodology professors use in class?
How tight is the student community in Waterloo?
How many students participate in clubs?

thanks again!

@Zion wrote
LOL GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TOEFL EXAM.

I don't have to write TOEFL exam my grade 12 english mark is in mid 80s.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unibound3355 unibound3355
laurier is the bees knees
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
you should be expecting large classes in first year, and even if you hate it, theres always tutorials.

case study methodology sounds like laurier. class discussions are not common in university. the profs usually try to cover as much material as possible.

The Math and Engineering departments are very strong at Waterloo. The accounting programs are good if you know you want to be a CA. But it's a very competitive program in general - very difficult to set yourself apart from others. Teaching methodology depends on the class, most classes at UW are online based. a lot of profs here do PPTs and read off their slides + talk about it since class sizes are usually big. quantitative classes (math, physics, etc) tend to use the white/black boards. Student community - very segregated if youre in the math faculty. otherwise, pretty diverse, student community depends on if you want to participate in stuff, the res community is pretty good here. but since co-op is so common, you mite not see your friends some terms.

queens has a good engineering program from what ive heard, and they also have a good concurrent education program. honestly tho, you cant expect universities to be strong in many faculties, esp for undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati
For clubs:

You won't find many Ivey HBA students operating many clubs or events as the extreme workload for make it difficult for them to find time to do so.

Queen's is pretty much recognized for hosting large events, competitions and conferences that schools across the country attend, namely ICBC and the QFAC.

Sauder is also in the conversation for having one of the best managed student commerce clubs in Canada. According to a Globe & Mail article, "UBC’s Sauder School of Business commerce student group is Canada’s largest, boasting a budget that exceeds $1-million and having a complex web of committees and councils. The CUS sponsors a dozen specialized clubs and overall, says executive member Paulina Aksenova, more than 700 students are involved. This represents an impressive one-quarter of UBC undergrad business students."

There have been some problems within McGill's student commerce government in their failure to maintain their clubs. As a result, McGill draft and successfully amended a new constitution adopting after Sauder's Commerce Undergraduate Society, which has widely been known to be proven model for how a business school should run their clubs. Link: McGill Tribune

I haven't researched much about the clubs from Waterloo/Laurier/Schulich as I'm not terribly interested in their business programs. I suppose that Laurier's clubs are pretty small, while Schulich from what I've heard is alright. There is one student that talks in lengths about what Schulich needs to do to revamp their clubs, btw it was written in Sept '09 so it's a bit outdated: [url]http://www.insidermediagroup.com/schulich-life-bba/making-student-clubs-more-effective[/url]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vincerz vincerz
Our clubs are not small?

SBESS (school of business and economics student society) is probably the biggest undergrad business society there is in Canada. We run all big brand common clubs such as Laurier SOS, Dale Carnegie, 5 Days For the Homeless as well as a bunch of our own.
Landing a council position is much more difficult given the number of students here, but if you can do it you know you're at the top of a great number of students. Personally, I know some first years at Schulich running VP positions.. which sounds like a joke, sorry..

Check out the clubs list here:
http://www.sbess.ca/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Dessolition Dessolition

@immaculatedx wrote

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
Queens, I was going to say that before I saw others put Queens down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
If you want co-op.. definitely Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman

@Mar wrote
Thank you everyone

Can someone comment on UBC/SFU/UoT and Laurier/Waterloo double degree program?

@immaculatedx wrote

The problem with Ivey is that its business program starts in year 3 and a student must get 80% or higher in order to be considered for that program. I don't want to risk with my future. It is way too much risk for a little gain.

Queen's is a great business school. However, the university is not that strong over all. I looked in the rankings and its not even in top 100. I also heard that students from other departments are not fond of commerce students. I've talked to a bunch of people who are attending Queen's university but I am still undecided.
Is queen's commerce is similar to york's schulich program in terms that its business department rocks and rest of the university sucks?

Unfortunately I don't know much about Waterloo university. Judging on the programs they offer it looks that they have a very strong math, accounting and computing departments.
What teaching methodology professors use in class?
How tight is the student community in Waterloo?
How many students participate in clubs?

thanks again!

As a Queens student, i would say QC is exactly what you are looking for. And in regards to the rest of queens not being very good, im sorry but you are mistaken. Queens is a very well rounded school. Its business program is much more famous the other but the other programs are very good. Queens has the highest overall entrance overage of any school in Canada second to McGill so the caliber of students in general is better then most schools. The rankings you read are usually based on multiple variables such as the amount of research that gets done etc, many of these factors do not matter to you. I will always cautions people from looking at rankings when they dont know the methodology used for them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peterv peterv
Queen's or Ivey
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lumos Lumos

@Mar wrote

University - must be strong overall (it must have a somewhat strong business department, strong math department, strong computing department and strong engineering).

Programs - must have strong finance/accounting programs

Class Size - small/medium business core classes and rest can be X-Large

Business classes - start from year 1 or 2

Teaching technique - case study methodology

Class Participation - class discussions must take at most 15% of class time

Homework - Group projects and presentations ( if assigned)

Student Participation - a lot of different CLUBS CLUBS CLUBS (Must be easy for a business student to meet math/computing students and vice verse)

Co-op - co-op is a big +++

How QC fits the bill:

University - Queen's is strong overall.

Programs - Well known for both Finance and Accounting.

Class Size - Classes are small and have an intimate atmosphere.

Business classes - Start from year 1.

Teaching technique (Case study methodology) - We complete a good number of cases. In first semester of second-year, you have two marketing classes every week. You're given a case during the first class and you're expected to present it during the second class that week. There's a good level of cases.

Class Participation - Varies by teacher. All teachers ask questions though and classes are designed to be engaging. You don't have to talk much if that's not your thing, though.

Homework - Every Commerce Class I've had this year has had plenty of group work.

Student Participation - The Queen's Commerce Society offers a huge amount of leadership opportunities. See https://comsoc.queensu.ca/home/index.php. This organizational chart depicts the structure of the society. There are many committees and conference executive committees to get involved with. "March Hiring" is coming up and over 300 positions will be available.

Co-op - I don't know anything about co-op at QC. Most students stay at Queen's for all of first year, second year, half of third year (the other semester is spent on exchange), and fourth year while obtaining work experience with summer internships.

Good luck as you choose the right program for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0