yconic - Which university in Toronto has the best social life?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which university in Toronto has the best social life?

A photo of fruitloops93 fruitloops93
I applied to York, Ryerson and U of T Scarborough and have gotten accepted into Ryerson so far but I reaaaallly dont wanna go there. Im really confused as to where I want to go because I've heard so many things from people. Some say that York is a commuter school and has a crappy social life for students, others say they have alot of events, some say that UTSC is a crappy school in general and others disagree.

IM SO CONFUSED.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of saber33 saber33
All Toronto universities are commuter schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kahlua kahlua
Yorkies usually commute...I don't think you would want to live on residence in that area anyway...

UofT and Ryerson has mostly commuters as well, but also people do tend to live on residence, since commuting takes a lot of time and money.

As for the social scene, all universities have great social scenes, you just have to be active and put yourself out there. There will always be events but no one's gonna beg you to join.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emmymaye emmymaye
I hear York is incredibly friendly as a community but UOT is more of a socially awkward community base... they're mostly interested in their education, not school spirit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@emmymaye wrote
I hear York is incredibly friendly as a community but UOT is more of a socially awkward community base... they're mostly interested in their education, not school spirit.

I've heard the same. Ryerson is closest to Eaton's so that's a nice benefit
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@Qq wrote

@emmymaye wrote

Ryerson is also where all the crazies hang out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Tbh neither of the 3 probably have that great of a social life compared to other Ontario unis. There are literally no bars/clubs around York because they're kind of just beside the highway. UTSC isn't much better. Out of the 3 I think Ryerson would have the best social life since at least it's downtown.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Firstly, your university decision should not be based on your social life. Secondly, your social life should not be confined to your campus (unless you live in a university town). UTSC and York are a subway away from downtown Toronto, the liveliest of all your possible locations, and Ryerson is in Toronto itself.

Having a social life, however, will depend much more on how much effort you put in, not because your university happens to be close to bars and clubs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nicoleh260 nicoleh260
York has tons of interesting and unique clubs and committees you can join to get involved in student life and make your experience better
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emmaberri Emmaberri
York has some good clubs, and depending on your faculty you can make some great friends there. Especially if you decide to live in residence, and especially in the Arts programs. However, I think U of T would have more locals.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
Not york.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@DoctorLawyerDentist wrote
Not york.

Someone got rejected by York
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sillyrabbit sillyrabbit

@littleroom wrote

@Qq wrote

@emmymaye wrote

Sorry what do you mean when you say Crazies?.....I'm looking to go to Ryerson next year so please tell me what that means.....do you mean weird people?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sillyrabbit wrote

@littleroom wrote

@Qq wrote

@emmymaye wrote

Sorry what do you mean when you say Crazies?.....I'm looking to go to Ryerson next year so please tell me what that means.....do you mean weird people?

All the questionable homeless people hang out there. There's a Jesus freak that shouts as you walk by about, well, what all Jesus freaks shout about. Right across Ryerson is also the Covenant House, where gangsters always are. There's also an old homeless woman that just walks around twitching and looks like the witch from Snow White.

Don't let this push you away from Ryerson, though. I walk past the area everyday. You'll eventually get used to the sights and sounds of Toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sillyrabbit sillyrabbit

@littleroom wrote

@sillyrabbit wrote

@littleroom wrote

@Qq wrote

@emmymaye wrote

All the questionable homeless people hang out there. There's a Jesus freak that shouts as you walk by about, well, what all Jesus freaks shout about. Right across Ryerson is also the Covenant House, where gangsters always are. There's also an old homeless woman that just walks around twitching and looks like the witch from Snow White.

Don't let this push you away from Ryerson, though. I walk past the area everyday. You'll eventually get used to the sights and sounds of Toronto.

LOL oh. Well if it means anything it has not changed my decision about wanting to go to Ryerson next year....but I'm a little scared now lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver

@littleroom wrote

Are you talking about the Jesus freak in Dundas square that's usually in front of Forever 21? There are actually multiple Jesus freaks there now, but I haven't seen the original in a while. Also a couple of Islam freaks and a couple of black history month guys (although that's just for Feb), one of them told me I should take a pamphlet because my female friend and I had our arms linked (it was cold). So black history month information would help me with being gay...WTF? I can see how both involve discrimination, but the man was stretching it, LOL.

Although, Elvis guy is definitely the good kind of crazy and the there's a really great artist that draws comics on the sidewalk with chalk in the summer. I had one bad experience where me and my friends were literally being chased, but other than that, the crazies don't really do much but "spice up your life." :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@littleroom wrote

Are you talking about the Jesus freak in Dundas square that's usually in front of Forever 21? There are actually multiple Jesus freaks there now, but I haven't seen the original in a while. Also a couple of Islam freaks and a couple of black history month guys (although that's just for Feb), one of them told me I should take a pamphlet because my female friend and I had our arms linked (it was cold). So black history month information would help me with being gay...WTF? I can see how both involve discrimination, but the man was stretching it, LOL.

Although, Elvis guy is definitely the good kind of crazy and the there's a really great artist that draws comics on the sidewalk with chalk in the summer. I had one bad experience where me and my friends were literally being chased, but other than that, the crazies don't really do much but "spice up your life." :)

Well, I'm not sure which Jesus freak I'm speaking of; they're all the same to me. I don't delve that far into Ryerson's mysterious campus, as I'm a UofT student, but I do get a taste of it.

I've heard about this artist. I can't wait to see him! Why were you chased?

Did you go to City Hall this year for New Year's Eve? There was another Jesus freak holding up a sign that said "NO ________" and in that blank, you could put anything in, and you would have found it on his sign. He even thought text messaging was sinful! And witchcraft!

Anyway, the moral of the story is, downtown Toronto is not as dangerous as you think, as everything that is "dangerous" is actually fun! From a distance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@littleroom wrote

Haha! You made me laugh because I imagined these guys doing it again lol (I know who you're talking about, I almost ended up hitting that dude that screams randomly in front of the Forever 21!)

But these people aren't anywhere near Ryerson, they're at the Eatons Centre!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@littleroom wrote

Haha! You made me laugh because I imagined these guys doing it again lol (I know who you're talking about, I almost ended up hitting that dude that screams randomly in front of the Forever 21!)

Oh, whoops! LOL I don't know where Ryerson is :$ Jesus guy just made me think of Dundas Square :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@littleroom wrote

That's Ryerson campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@littleroom wrote

Well, I'm not sure which Jesus freak I'm speaking of; they're all the same to me. I don't delve that far into Ryerson's mysterious campus, as I'm a UofT student, but I do get a taste of it.

I've heard about this artist. I can't wait to see him! Why were you chased?

Did you go to City Hall this year for New Year's Eve? There was another Jesus freak holding up a sign that said "NO ________" and in that blank, you could put anything in, and you would have found it on his sign. He even thought text messaging was sinful! And witchcraft!

Anyway, the moral of the story is, downtown Toronto is not as dangerous as you think, as everything that is "dangerous" is actually fun! From a distance.

We were being chased randomly, it was scary then, but really funny when I think of it now. One minute I turned around to see a bunch of people between me and crazy guy and I thought I was a safe distance away, next thing I know everyone's passing me and I turn around to see crazy guy running like three feet behind me. I had a mini heart attack and ran for my life (I eventually got inside H&M and he didn't follow).

I didn't go downtown for New Years, but that sounds hilarious! What would Toronto be without the freaks! :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
lol Elvis guy ftw.

Also I saw a crazy lady biking around near University and Dundas, yelling preachy stuff about Jesus from her bike and crossing streets in random directions.

And one time by Forever 21 there were a couple homeless people with a sign that said "need money for penis enlargement". I kind of loled.

The Black History Month dudes are out ALL YEAR ROUND, I swear.

My friends' house looks out onto Covenant House's backyard I think. There are sketchy kids.

And yeah, Ryerson basically is the Eaton Centre. When the business peeps graduate they go downstairs and work at the Canadian Tire XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SaugasFinest SaugasFinest

@NerdmobileDriver wrote

@littleroom wrote

ROFL@ "helping you w/ being gay". Wow, I'm sorry, that made me LMAO. I'm skeptical of Ryerson now, I didn't wanna go there anyway, I'm more of U of T person. I'll prolly go to McMaster though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SaugasFinest SaugasFinest

@kraken wrote
lol Elvis guy ftw.

Also I saw a crazy lady biking around near University and Dundas, yelling preachy stuff about Jesus from her bike and crossing streets in random directions.

And one time by Forever 21 there were a couple homeless people with a sign that said "need money for penis enlargement". I kind of loled.

My friends' house looks out onto Covenant House's backyard I think. There are sketchy kids.

And yeah, Ryerson basically is the Eaton Centre. When the business peeps graduate they go downstairs and work at the Canadian Tire XD

__________Flatlined____________. Dayuuum, ya'll made my day with those stories (sorry had to get my inner Madea out).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kraken wrote
lol Elvis guy ftw.

I AM CRYING RIGHT NOW.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
^ why? you didn't even apply there!

or did you unapply and remove it from your sig after I said that...
Was this helpful? Yes 0