yconic - Which University is Best for Business in Ontario (your opinion)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which University is Best for Business in Ontario (your opinion)

A photo of BrittCo BrittCo
Hey

So Im researching universities that I might be interested in going to. I have heard that Rotman and Schulich are good. I asked Robert Herjavec (on twitter) and he said that Laurier is really good too.(i was freaking out when he responded lol) So I really dont know which university is the best overall. What do you think?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Tyop Tyop
There are many business schools or programs within the province that are very strong, but typically Ivey and Queen's Commerce are considered the best overall programs. If you are looking to specialize in accounting or whatnot, Waterloo AFM, Math/CA, and Schulich would be good options. Just all depends on what you're looking to specialize in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@BrittCo wrote
Hey

So Im researching universities that I might be interested in going to. I have heard that Rotman and Schulich are good. I asked Robert Herjavec (on twitter) and he said that Laurier is really good too.(i was freaking out when he responded lol) So I really dont know which university is the best overall. What do you think?

Herjavec's son is in his first year at Laurier (business).

Here's generally what most people feel they are ranked as on tiers (please don't argue over this everyone, it's just a real general ranking). Also note that some schools are better than others for certain subject areas.

Top-tier: Ivey, Queen's
Almost-top-tier: Schulich, McGill
2nd tier: Sauder, Laurier, Rotman
3rd tier: McMaster, UTM, UTSC
4th tier: Ryerson and others
5th tier: Algoma and others

I have purposely excluded programs that aren't general business programs, e.g. Waterloo Accounting programs, Laurier/Waterloo DD, Brock Accounting, any others I'm forgetting, and of course anything that could help you get into business but is not a business program.

Remember, this is a general ranking. Some schools rank higher/lower in some areas. Some schools are accredited for certain areas, some offer exchange programs, some offer an easy opportunity to do a double major, some offer co-op, etc. Also take into consideration the school atmosphere, cost, residence life, reputation, etc. into your decision.

Hope that helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
to make it simple, and accurate:

Tier 1/top tier - Schulich, Ivey, Queen's
Tier 2 - Rotman, Laurier (sort of)
Tier 3 - all others - such as Mac, ryerson, etc.

*AFM and Waterloo's DD are measured on another scale..so can't put them in their for solid business programs. AFM is a great choice for strictly accounting. The DD is great but incorporates math, I'm a little skeptical on this one.
*I didn't include McGill since it is out of Ontario..but from what I hear it ranks between Tier 1 and tier 2.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@Finance27 wrote

*AFM and Waterloo's DD are measured on another scale..so can't put them in their for solid business programs. AFM is a great choice for strictly accounting. The DD is great but incorporates math, I'm a little skeptical on this one.
*I didn't include McGill since it is out of Ontario..but from what I hear it ranks between Tier 1 and tier 2.

I used to think this way before too. Everyone in this business forum needs to understand the concept of tiers is bull.

Your program and school is not going to be of any use to you until your 3rd year summer when the recruiting resources will be spent on you. If you develop to be a much more talented, mature student by third year in Laurier BBA or Mac or whatever, you'll get a much better job than a student in Schulich/Ivey/QC.

People all think that going to a top undergraduate business school is going to mean anything. Schulich/Ivey/QC are not the programs they are because they are business programs, it's because they are prestigious programs based on history with stong aluni bases. They could very well change their curriculums to become a liberal arts program (They already kind of are), and the results would be the same.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
University > Queen's
Program > Schulich BBA or Queen's BComm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@immaculatedx wrote

@Finance27 wrote

I used to think this way before too. Everyone in this business forum needs to understand the concept of tiers is bull.

Your program and school is not going to be of any use to you until your 3rd year summer when the recruiting resources will be spent on you. If you develop to be a much more talented, mature student by third year in Laurier BBA or Mac or whatever, you'll get a much better job than a student in Schulich/Ivey/QC.

People all think that going to a top undergraduate business school is going to mean anything. Schulich/Ivey/QC are not the programs they are because they are business programs, it's because they are prestigious programs based on history with stong aluni bases. They could very well change their curriculums to become a liberal arts program (They already kind of are), and the results would be the same.

Tiers are an easy way to get an indication of the quality program, though.

The rest is mostly true. But going to a target school can help you land good jobs sooner. It can definitely accelerate your career path. Also there's fewer opportunities to build soft skills at the "lower-tier" schools. While not everyone needs to work on this, it's definitely a good thing for most people. So choosing Trent over Queen's wouldn't make too much sense. That being said, as long as you think the program is good and you like it there, then go! Don't worry too much about people telling you a different school is better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
simply wud be queen's or ivey overall, in terms of alumni and quality of program
idk about the rest
Was this helpful? Yes 0