yconic - Which University should i go to for math ? :S
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which University should i go to for math ? :S

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I got accepted to the following math programs:

McMaster University
Mathematics & Statistics I

Wilfrid Laurier University
BSc Honours Science Financial Mathematics

York University
YK:Mathematics & Statistics (BSc)(Applied Mathematics)

I really like math and im good at it but, i just don't know where to go to.
All im looking for is a high GPA because i want to go to law school after earning my bsc in math.

Please help me out. Thank You!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
If all you care about is your GPA go where you feel most comfortable. Personally, I'd go to Laurier or McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@iliketurtles wrote
If all you care about is your GPA go where you feel most comfortable. Personally, I'd go to Laurier or McMaster.

Just wondering, what are your reasons for preferring to go to Laurier and Mcmaster. And wouldn't York be easier (as in better chances of achieving a higher GPA) because ive herd if you can hold a fork you can go to York LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@ksaran wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

Just wondering, what are your reasons for preferring to go to Laurier and Mcmaster. And wouldn't York be easier (as in better chances of achieving a higher GPA) because ive herd if you can hold a fork you can go to York LOL

Because I don't like York's location. It's like you're in a big city (Toronto) but you're really not. Also it's too close to home for my liking, and I've played hockey there countless times on their campus and I never really liked what I saw. All this is just personal preferences.
Laurier I heard has a great community/atmosphere, although it's small (like physically small). McMaster is supposed to have a great campus life too, so :)
And IDK about the difficulty of programs. Math is considered by most people (that I've asked) to be the hardest undergrad major outside of engineering, so it's not going to be easy no matter where you go I'm sure...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
I would also choose Laurier or Mac. York has a posh feel to it. Mac is a nice school if you prefer big(ger) city feel. Laurier is nice if you prefer a university town feel.

Personally, I would choose Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme

@ksaran wrote
I got accepted to the following math programs:

McMaster University
Mathematics & Statistics I

Wilfrid Laurier University
BSc Honours Science Financial Mathematics

York University
YK:Mathematics & Statistics (BSc)(Applied Mathematics)

I really like math and im good at it but, i just don't know where to go to.
All im looking for is a high GPA because i want to go to law school after earning my bsc in math.

Please help me out. Thank You!

Slightly biased. just a bit, but id say McMaster or Laurier. Here are some reasons:
i wouldnt go to york because i dont like the location and its not much a university atmosphere. the campus is pretty big and the area its in is pretty sketch. also, applied mathematics?? you can do that anywhere.

Laurier is a good program too! however, they are most well known for buisness! If you want to do financial math however, its somewhat like buisness so that would be a good program! the thing to consider is that its a small school, so its very much like a high school atmosphere. if you want a more-uni like experience, go to mcmaster. ive heard you could go the whole day w/o seeing light since all your classes will be in one building (but im not sure if its true!)

MCMASTER! well i currently go to mcmaster for math and stats so im slightly biased. The program is really flexible, and 2nd year when you choose your program you can pretty much do anything you like. there are options of biology and math, actuary and financial math, stats specialization, math specialization, math and physics.. math and econ.. legit math adn anything for your 2nd year program. the prof's are amazing and the support there is amazing. i also know many friends in my program that will be glad to you help you out. yes, mac is known more for life sci, but math and stats is so small you will get to know everyone in your program by the end of the year!
if you have any questions feel free to ask me :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0