yconic - Which University would accept me with a 2.51 GPA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which University would accept me with a 2.51 GPA

A photo of masab masab
Hi Everybody,

I did my bachelors in Telecommunication Engineering with a GPA of 2.51 (68%) from Pakistan. I also have a two years experience in my field. I am interested in applying for Masters of Electrical Engineering in Canada, in which Universities do I stand a chance to get into with this GPA. I have an IELTS score of 7. I have seen following Universities that have a similar program:

Queens University
Concordia
Ryerson
University of Windsor
University of Western Ontario
University of New Brunswick
University of Ottawa
Carleton University
Memorial University New Newfoundland
University of Regina
University of Saskatchewan

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Windsor, easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of masab masab
Other than Windsor to which University should I apply, I am thinking of applying to Windsor as well as Queens. What do u say??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@masab wrote
Other than Windsor to which University should I apply, I am thinking of applying to Windsor as well as Queens. What do u say??

I don't think you have no chance to get into Queens. They want a B+ minimum for EE (http://www.queensu.ca/sgs/forstudents/prospectivestudents/thinkingofapplying/20112012ApplicationRequirementstable.pdf).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of masab masab

@JNBirDy wrote

@masab wrote

I don't think you have no chance to get into Queens. They want a B+ minimum for EE (http://www.queensu.ca/sgs/forstudents/prospectivestudents/thinkingofapplying/20112012ApplicationRequirementstable.pdf).

Well I am an International student applying from Pakistan, it is written on the website:

International Applicants: The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering requires a minimum cumulative average of:

* P.R. China - 80% or GPA of 3.2/4.0
* India, Bangladesh and Pakistan - First Class or 63%
* Iran - 16/20
* All others - 80%

Please check the link:
http://www.ece.queensu.ca/Future-Students/Graduate/Admission-Requirements.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@masab wrote

@JNBirDy wrote

@masab wrote

Well I am an International student applying from Pakistan, it is written on the website:

International Applicants: The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering requires a minimum cumulative average of:

* Iran - 16/20
* All others - 80%

Please check the link:

Then apply there? I don't understand why you're asking people over a forum where you should apply if the cut-offs are written on the school websites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of masab masab

@Gorges26 wrote

@masab wrote

@JNBirDy wrote

@masab wrote

* Iran - 16/20
* All others - 80%

Please check the link:

Then apply there? I don't understand why you're asking people over a forum where you should apply if the cut-offs are written on the school websites.

@Gorges26
I am just asking for opinions of the people about my chances of acceptance, as I would not want to apply to a University where I do not stand a chance to get into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of masab masab
Well the main reason for asking is to know that chances of acceptance or rejection at a particular University.

Is there any website that gives the percentage of student accepted and rejected in a particular University.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
That's not public information.
There's nothing wrong with Windsor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Masab,

Most of the discussion on here is about undergrad. You won't find much help for grad school. Entry to all these schools is also more varied at masters level compared to undergrad benchmarks.

My first thought was that a 2.5 GPA won't cut it at any Canadian University to get into a Masters. Then reading the Queen's link you left suggests that Pakistan schools must mark harder if they equate a 63% to a B+ in Canada. Not all schools may recognize this as Queens has.

I think you first need to decide why you are taking a Masters. What are you trying to learn and then what will you do with the knowledge.

Figure out where you want to focus and then review which schools have profs researching in that field. Use that to narrow your decision first. Then, after short-listing, call the school directly and discuss your marks, work history, and your fit to their programs. Grad school entry is much more a personal one-on-one thing.

If you plan to leverage it for work in Telecom, the industry in North America really does not value an EE Masters. It won't help you finding a job. If you want to use the path as a way into academic research - then OK.

Of the schools you listed, Queens probably has the best reputation for Engineering grad work. Memorial (although in a remote location) is also interesting and does some innovative things.

Waterloo is by far the highest ranking Engineering school, but that may be due as much to a strong undergrad/CO-OP. Waterloo does have some big telecom research opportunities with RIM (and other big players) being right on campus. McGill, UofT, and MacMaster also come to mind as top research EE grad schools.

Good luck in your searching.

Was this helpful? Yes 0