yconic - Which unversities should I apply to?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Which unversities should I apply to?

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
I'm planning on applying to

1. Waterloo
2. University of Toronto
3. McMaster OR Western

i'm 95% sure that i will go to waterloo for undergrad in life science, but just in case i don't get in, i need a backup. i'm sort of against going to uoft for undergrad due to the competitive atmosphere. The main reason for why i would want to go to uoft is because it's cheaper since i don't need residence and i'm not that rich.

right now, i'm trying to decide on either mcmaster or western (too cheap to apply to a 4th one since ouac has that 3 universities package thing...). I'm planning on taking 2 years undergrad and then applying to pharmacy at either Waterloo or UofT. I need some advice on which university for #3 will be better for life sciences.

thanks in advance!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Any or go to York, save your money and get a higher GPA for pharmacy school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of metro metro
Undergrad is equally great at both for you third choices. Factor in other factors like location, and school atmosphere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
McMaster is a top 5 Canada school.
Western is top 25.

Go to McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@rightsaidfred wrote
McMaster is a top 5 Canada school.
Western is top 25.

Go to McMaster.

Right, making your decision based purely on rankings will end super well...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
You realize it costs $41.67 to apply to each program through the 3-program package and $42 per program after that right..? There really isn't a difference...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
Any particular reason why you prefer Waterloo over McMaster or Western? I'm under the impression that McMaster and Western have the more reputable life sciences programs, with McMaster's Health Sciences program way ahead; not to mention their campus atmospheres in relation to Waterloo's brutalist buildings and reportedly mild school spirit. Visiting the schools beforehand helps tremendously (and yes, my visits to Waterloo and U of T played a role in helping me choose a university program).

By the way, if you're applying to U of T, consider applying for the Scarborough campus. Less competitive atmosphere, smaller classes, and supposedly easier marks than the St George campus.

@jelly: I think it's more like the OP doesn't want to pay the extra money for a 4th application when he/she is already forced to make 3. I personally made 3 apps as well because I'm cheap. =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
@jelly ouac doesn't allow ppl to pay less than $125 (unless there's something i don't about?). So even if you only want to apply to one or two universities, you'll have to pay $125.

@WaterfallofDestiny Waterloo's pharmacy program has a lot of requirements and i'm under the impression that it's difficult to complete them all at other universities. i think it was their "Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter, Chemical Reactions, Equilibria and Kinetics, and Introductory Chemical Thermodynamics" requirements that are hardest to complete since these three courses are usually bunched into one course at other universities.

i've visited both uoft and waterloo's campus. i personally like uoft's better since it's in downtown, but at least i will be able to focus more on my work if i go to waterloo? since there's nothing to do lol...

academics>campus atmospheres
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
My bad then, I've very rarely encountered people who would really apply to less programs. In this case I'd probably go for Western. I don't know about Waterloo, but I'm pretty sure McMaster Life Sciences has a higher admission average than UofT... so its not really much of a backup.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
Ah, I see. You would know more about the admission requirements than me. I would've suspected that most schools had relatively the same courses. I have some friends at U of T for pharmacy and they did their undergrads at UTSC, UTSG, McMaster, UVic, and UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0