yconic - Who applied to Shad Valley this year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Who applied to Shad Valley this year?

A photo of mgmt mgmt
I sent in my application for early deadline. I've heard a lot of amazing things about Shad's summer enrichment program and I'm really hoping to get in.

Did any of you guys apply this year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
ALL ALONG THE WESTERN FROOOOOOOOONT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack
Yea I applied for the early deadlines as well. What grade are you in? I'm in grade 12 and I think it might be a bit pointless. and I don't even know if I can go, its so expensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken

@Zion wrote

PEOPLE LINE UP TO RECEEEIIVE
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mgmt mgmt

@blackjack wrote
Yea I applied for the early deadlines as well. What grade are you in? I'm in grade 12 and I think it might be a bit pointless. and I don't even know if I can go, its so expensive.

Gooooo! My friends who went this summer said it was amazing. One of them got a bursary and she only had to pay a little over $1000 :rabbit: What campuses are you considering if you get accepted?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@kraken wrote

@Zion wrote

SHE GOT THE POWER IN HER HAAAAAAAAANDS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
It's all about the money
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mgmt wrote

@blackjack wrote

Gooooo! My friends who went this summer said it was amazing. One of them got a bursary and she only had to pay a little over $1000 :rabbit: What campuses are you considering if you get accepted?

Yea everyone I know says its awesome. Well yes if I only have to pay $1000 then I'll def go. Hmm I'm gonna rank the ones in Ontario as my top choices. So probably Waterloo, Queens, and.. Mcmaster..? Don't really want Carleton since I live in Ottawa.

How about you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mgmt mgmt

@Zion wrote

@kraken wrote

@Zion wrote

SHE GOT THE POWER IN HER HAAAAAAAAANDS.

TO SHOCK YOU LIKE YOU WON'T BELIEVE
Teehee, I like you guys already :batman:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mgmt mgmt

@blackjack wrote

@mgmt wrote

@blackjack wrote

Yea everyone I know says its awesome. Well yes if I only have to pay $1000 then I'll def go. Hmm I'm gonna rank the ones in Ontario as my top choices. So probably Waterloo, Queens, and.. Mcmaster..? Don't really want Carleton since I live in Ottawa.

How about you?

I don't wanna travel too far this summer. I live in Toronto so I'm thinking Queens, McMaster then Waterloo. Do you know when we get our acceptance/rejection/asdfkjladsf letters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahq93 sarahq93
i remember getting mine in february. then again, i went two years ago so my memory's a little fuzzy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenniiveeve jenniiveeve
Oh you guys are really lucky! I went to Shad last summer, it was really fun, really memorable, and really enjoyable!
What're your top schools that you want to go to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenniiveeve jenniiveeve

@sarahq93 wrote
i remember getting mine in february. then again, i went two years ago so my memory's a little fuzzy.

Yeah, I got mine in February last year.

Also, even if your in grade 12, its still worth it! A lot of people from my year at Shad were in grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mgmt mgmt

@jenniiveeve wrote
Oh you guys are really lucky! I went to Shad last summer, it was really fun, really memorable, and really enjoyable!
What're your top schools that you want to go to?

Probably Queens, McMaster or Waterloo. I wanted to go to UBC but it's a little far from where I live. What campus where you at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711

@sarahq93 wrote

The past two years they've sent them out right before Ontario's Family Day weekend (February 19th -21st this year). Good luck to everyone who's applied :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
They wont put you in a uni that you live close to. I lived close to waterloo and actually wanted to do shad at waterloo, but they just wouldnt let me. went to Queens though, and it was an amazing experience.

it is not bad if you go after gr 12, you would probably be mature enough to take on more leadership roles and network a little more with people. oh, and definitely apply to the internship thing in august.

its too bad they removed some of the universities (starting last year) though due to budgets..

anyways, you will likely have fun at any of the campuses you end up at. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

got into shad today! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AuraFlora AuraFlora
I got in!

I'm hesitating between MacMaster's, Queen's and Lakehead as my top choices. I'm looking for a particularly intensive experience with a focus on health sciences. Thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahq93 sarahq93

@AuraFlora wrote
I got in!

I'm hesitating between MacMaster's, Queen's and Lakehead as my top choices. I'm looking for a particularly intensive experience with a focus on health sciences. Thoughts?

yeah, don't go to shad expecting it to be health science oriented. its geared towards engineering and business. from what i've heard, mac is REALLY biz oriented.
if you want the most from your shad experience i'd go with mac, queens or waterloo. the rest of the campuses are considered to be a little slack.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jllama jllama
Got my acceptance in the mail today!!!!
I have no idea which campuses to choose... I'm thinking UBC/UNB just because they're on the two ends of the country that I never visit. Can't decide about the rest of them, but it sounds like lot's of people are going for the Ontario schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IneedHalp IneedHalp
ive never heard of shad valley, but ive been to shag valley, shagadelic baby
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was accepted last week too. I put Carleton, Waterloo, McMaster, and Dalhousie as my top choices. My best friend went to McMaster last summer, and she absolutely loved it although she said that her campus was a lot more strict than the others in that curfews were strictly enforced, girls weren't allowed into guys rooms, and vice-versa. Another friend of mine at UBC said they weren't as strict as that. Either way, they're all more or less the same and you shouldn't be choosing a campus based on a specific sort of academic focus. Go more by the city and the actual university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0