yconic - Who does TIPS at their school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Who does TIPS at their school?

A photo of waazup waazup
My school has a formal set-up and marking scheme for TIPS (thinking inquiry/problem solving). I know this is tested and weighted in all schools, but I have heard my school (in Peel) is one of the few that have it. We do a seperate test on the next day right after a unit test. This test is known to be a killer, where many people either fail, barely pass, some get 70s, 80s, sometimes 90s and if the TIPS is okay "difficulty", maybe a 100. Esp. for calc, I hear its pretty hard. I guess if this is true, our math program is pretty tough then..

Anyway, how many people here do 2 seperate tests for each unit? And how hard are your TIPS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of LALALALA LALALALA
Oh man, we do TIPS at our school and let me tell you, its ABSOLUTELY killer. Last semester, my Adv functions mark (avg of knowledge, comm, app should've been at at the least 96/97 but with TIPS, in which i barley had a 70 really brought my mark down). Also, you are very lucky you get to do it on a separate day, in our school its on the test so its double the stress and sometimes its difficult to even finish the test at all. I think in Calc this semester I've only had one separate TIPS and the rest have been on my tests....i REALLY hate TIPS although I see why we have to do it. Oh and I've been faring better on Calc tips as compared to Adv Functions, its quite surprising.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Haha oh yeah, TIPS were pretty challenging because it requires you to actually UNDERSTAND math, rather than doing math based on memory and steps.

Its marked on synthesis and clarity so you have to really know your stuff to get like a level 4 or higher.

Mhmmmmm I ended up with a 95 in Calc in HS but my TIPS section was like under an +/- around an 80 (i think it was worth 25% to 30%, don't really rmb)

But dont worry too much, as long as you understand the concepts and aren't too bad at math, you wont usually get below a 2+ or a 3- (which isn't that baad if you can do well in the other parts)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AzNAssAssIN28 AzNAssAssIN28
used to have TIPS at my school until it got abolished. believe me, u want TIPS compared to the alternative that my school got
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
100 views, 3 replies. Is it safe to say I was right, that majority do not have TIPS?

And yeah, we have some (maybe more) on the same day as well. Once in a while you get to do it with a partner.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Iunno if its the same for you in gr.12, you're usually put on your own then, at least for when i was in gr.12.

I think most schools have TIPS though..... i dont see why they wouldnt
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
Getting a good mark in high school math is a matter of repetition and figuring out patterns. If you truly understand the topic, TIPS is easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@LampShade wrote
Iunno if its the same for you in gr.12, you're usually put on your own then, at least for when i was in gr.12.

I think most schools have TIPS though..... i dont see why they wouldnt

Yeah! A partner usually comes in handy!

I have had teachers and other students/peers tell me that we are one of the few schools that do TIPS, others usually have a softer thinking & inquiry set of questions or so..? That's why I heard a couple of times that our math program is hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brad1234 brad1234
My school has TIPS also. Only for advanced functions tho, not calc. And yes they are impossible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
we basically have tips but we don't call it tips. it's on the same test always. the other thing the teacher does is puts stuff from like unit 6 that we haven't learned on the unit 2 test. that makes it difficult. it's not really tips in your normal sense, but it definitely requires thinking, inquiry and problem solving
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
honestly depends on the teacher,

we have one where we do have a separate section for it (lots of people get 0-4/7.. kept our averages really down)

we have one where its just based on your whole test (but there was a "last question")

so IMO having a separate TIPS section is just harder..
Was this helpful? Yes 0