yconic - Who here applied for Waterloo's CAP program?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Who here applied for Waterloo's CAP program?

A photo of kimm kimm
Just completed the AIF and was wondering if anyone else here applied for it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
62 replies

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Me! I'm still writing it. I've been procrastinating =P
I'm a little concerned that I have no pharmacy experience but hopefully my essay can make up for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm
Haha you better hurry up. The deadline is comming up fast!!
I wouldn't worry too much about your lack of pharmacy experience if you have good EC's and the good essay as you've mentioned. But who am I to say--I only know as much as you :P

Only thing I'm worried about is MY EC's...
I haven't been doing much in terms of clubs or hobbies lately and so most of my EC's are dated around 2008 and 2009 which I think looks kind of bad.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm surprised there aren't many other applicants. Guaranteed admission to UW pharmacy school basically sets you up for life.

I heard an estimated 300 apply and 60 will get contacted for an interview. I like those chances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
i applied!

i was fortunate enough to be placed in a pharmacy when volunteering at a local hospital. At first I was just hoping to get my 40 hours required to graduate, but then I really liked it there and ended up working for 2 years! Somewhere along the way I gathered up 200+ hours LOL. So I guess I was just lucky!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm
@andrewk512 - Yeah I'm also suprised that they are getting way less than 1000 applications... but hey, I'm not gonna complain haha

@csze - You got to work in a hospital pharmacy? What was it like?
I did 150 hours at a retail pharmacy and it was kind of like working at a store lol.
Always wondered how different a hospital pharmacy would be like and my pharmacist had little information on the topic.

Also how far away from waterloo do you guys live?
I've got quite a drive to go if I get an interview... some 6 to 8 hours haa :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I wanted to. :(
Isn't it only for Ontario students, though?
That's the impression I get from reading the info on the site, but I could be wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm

@cyynthiia wrote
I wanted to. :(
Isn't it only for Ontario students, though?
That's the impression I get from reading the info on the site, but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it was all of Canada and possibly even the states but I will check again.

EDIT: Yeah people outside of ontario could have applied aswell, They just have a couple extra documents that they had to send in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
Oh really?!
Dang :(
Too late now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kimm wrote

Also how far away from waterloo do you guys live?
I've got quite a drive to go if I get an interview... some 6 to 8 hours haa :(

43 hours
Aka B.C.

I get the impression they only expect people from Ontario to apply (cause they give you 2 weeks notice for interviews) but they never explicitly stated that you couldn't be from somewhere else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kimm : working at the hospital pharmacy definitely was NOTHING like working at a store! My main job was to deliver packages at specific rounds/times throughout the entire hospital, so I really saw everything within the hospital! (and when I say everything, i mean EVERYTHING). When I wasn't doing delivery I was helping pharmacy technicians package, label, etc. Actually, I got to do a lot of cool things like fill oral syringes with medicine. The only thing that I missed out on, was I worked during the weekends...so i didn't really get the ENTIRE experience/essence of what the pharmacy would be like, but I was lucky to get an idea. It was good though, cause I saw a lot of medication and drugs that aren't available at retail pharmacies, like morphine and epidural. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm lucky! I'm only an hour away from waterloo (or less, depending on traffic:))
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm
@andrewk512 - OMG thats brutal. Are you going to drive that or just take a plane?

@csze - lucky!! looks like you'll be able to visit home quite often if you go to waterloo (unless youre gonna live at home)

Well anyways now that deadlines are over, looks like we just have to play that waiting game.
Goodluck to everyone and hopefully we all get interview offers!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

haha definitely not drive
I don't think I'll go at all unless I have enough points for a free plane ticket
I'd feel bad asking my dad to buy me a ticket just for a program I'm not too set on
But who knows, I'll have to research the program more...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lmao, no way am I living at home..I wouldn't even if I go to UT! (15 minutes away)

Yeah, I'm not too sure about this program...i'm more set on Mac Health Sci or Western Biomed. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Schen Schen
When's the deadline for CAP?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

February 28th for applications..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nwazed nwazed
Is there anyone who is has done the interview and has been accepted to CAP or know anyone who did?

I know the interview decisions are coming on May 10
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Aimango has a friend who has, and there was someone on the old forum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of csze csze
do you guys know how the interview process is like? is it just the regular sit down or the stationed ones (I know UT uses this process).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Sit down, not MMI. It seems to be only with one person.
Apparently the applicants aren't allowed to comment much on the interview process though.

The interview was pretty good - Ken is a very nice person and it was more like a conversation (or I felt that way anyways).

http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst33707_Waterloo-Conditional-Acceptance-to-Pharmacy-CAP-Program.aspx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm

@andrewk512 wrote
Sit down, not MMI. It seems to be only with one person.
Apparently the applicants aren't allowed to comment much on the interview process though.

The interview was pretty good - Ken is a very nice person and it was more like a conversation (or I felt that way anyways).

http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst33707_Waterloo-Conditional-Acceptance-to-Pharmacy-CAP-Program.aspx

That sounds fair.
There wouldn't be much of a point for an interview if everyone knew what was going to be asked.
Being unprepared will make sure the right applicants pass the interview process.

PS: Good luck everyone on May 10th.
Fingers crossed!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of csze csze
i'm debating between waterloo cap or western biomed! :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Only a few hours left and I can finally set my last acceptance to rest (or prolong it 2 more weeks)!!!
Do you guys think they'll send the email in the morning? Hopefully around 9-10 EST so I can check before school...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kimm kimm
I'm thinking the e-mail might arrive around 3PM... but I'll be checking my E-mail throughout the morning anyways haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They sent the letters out. I didn't make it. Congrats and good luck to all who did. =]
Was this helpful? Yes 0