yconic - Who's all writing the EUCLID math contest?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Who's all writing the EUCLID math contest?

A photo of merm123 merm123
How are you all preparing for it? (or are you? haha)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
191 replies

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme

@merm123 wrote
How are you all preparing for it? (or are you? haha)

this probs Sounds nerdy but i took a 6-7 week Euclid math course :) So i have tons of booklets and stuff :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
Tis all logic, but I will go over last years contest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
I'm pretty sure I will fail real bad. Haven't done math (in general) in like a few months and haven't looked at past contests yet. Good thing doing poorly won't do anything bad in terms of deciding acceptances or else i'll for sure not get in. LOL!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I haven't even looked at a past contest.
I'll prob almost forget about the contest the day of, then realize I've forgotten half the things I learned last semester and end up spending the last 30 minutes doodling on the contest since I won't know how to answer half the questions :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru

@Impasse wrote
I haven't even looked at a past contest.
I'll prob almost forget about the contest the day of, then realize I've forgotten half the things I learned last semester and end up spending the last 30 minutes doodling on the contest since I won't know how to answer half the questions :P

+10000000001
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Was supposed to study really hard week before ... UW acceptance killed my work habits : (
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I should be studying right now T_T
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11
I am writing it, although I don't really know why. I was told that engineering students that have applied to UW should write it, so I am. Anyone know the significance behind this contest as far as admissions go?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

for engineering - none, you should also plan to write the SIN contest. If you were going to math, then youd be eligible for scholarships had you done well on the contest.

BUT, if you are doing SE, this may be helpful!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of YipAlpha YipAlpha
I'm trying it out, although I've never done a math contest :P Don't really have much time to study either...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
... I was planning on studying for it, but I have been super busy. :/
So now I'll probably just study the day before.
I haven't looked at past contests yet, but I've bought a practice booklet... Which I have yet to use.

I think I'm screwed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme

@Muirhead11 wrote
I am writing it, although I don't really know why. I was told that engineering students that have applied to UW should write it, so I am. Anyone know the significance behind this contest as far as admissions go?

well its run by waterloo mathematics and doing it is supposedly syaing, "oh im comfident in my math abilities." if you do good, like get a top score i heard your automatically accepted into waterloo with a schoalrship. if you dont write it you dont have any chance of writing a scholarship..

that said, its also high reccomeneded- but most people applying to UWO do write it so its kind of like you write it if you want to go to waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
Who is Euclid? :p

Stay sharp
Past Contests
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9
I'm sick of writing those math contests...especially after knowing that I already got accepted to waterloo (like most people) AND the fact that I'm not going to major in math!Don't you guys think chemistry physics or bio contests are actually more interesting than this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of callie2039 callie2039

@arviny wrote
Tis all logic, but I will go over last years contest.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@danselikeme wrote
if you dont write it you dont have any chance of writing a scholarship..

...i never wrote Euclid before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@callie2039 wrote

@danselikeme wrote

Not the national scholarships - the automatic ones offered by the Math Faculty.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/future/undergrad/financial/scholarships
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Measys Measys
I've been looking through the past contests on and off since Friday. I tried the one from 2010 and did pretty well actually, solved 1-9 (although I screwed up 7 and 9b). I've just been trying the 2009 one and it's so much harder! Maybe it's because I haven't had enough coffee yet, but all the geometry questions are flying right over my head :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@callie2039 wrote

@danselikeme wrote

Not the national scholarships - the automatic ones offered by the Math Faculty.

oh.. the descartes ones? my bad, sorry :(

Was this helpful? Yes 0

No .... not the decartes, the descartes is what you won (-_-). I'm talking about the 150 automatic entrance scholarships based on your Euclid score, AIF and marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
No .... not the decartes, the descartes is what you won (-_-). I'm talking about the 150 automatic entrance scholarships based on your Euclid score, AIF and marks.

Descartes Entrance Scholarships

* 150 scholarships ranging in value from $1,000 to $8,000

* Criteria: high academic performance, results from the Euclid Mathematics Contest, an Admission Information Form completed and submitted by date specified with acknowledgment of application to the Faculty of Mathematics. All applicants to the Faculty of Mathematics who have written the Euclid Contest will automatically be considered.
* For more information, visit our Scholarships webpage.

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/navigation/Prospective/prospectiveAdmissions.shtml

i know.. its confusing. LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That website is old... the new Waterloo Math website is the website I showed you.

You can follow the National scholarship link and find that is consists of:

List of National Scholarships

1 CIBC National Scholarship valued at $25,000 over four years

12 Descartes National Scholarships ranging in value from $12,000 to $18,000 over four years
(THIS IS WHAT YOU WON -_-)

and there are the automatic ones.

"The Faculty of Mathematics awards 150 entrance scholarships in values of

$10,000 over four years
$8,000 over four years
$5,000 over four years
$2,000 for one year
$1,000 for one year
You will automatically be considered for an entrance scholarship provided

you are currently a high school student
you are an applicant to any one of the programs offered in the Faculty of Mathematics (excluding Software Engineering; Computing and Financial Management)
you write the Euclid Mathematics Contest
you submit an Admission Information Form
Unless stated otherwise, entrance scholarships are on-going provided the recipient maintains an 80% overall average while taking 5 courses each academic term."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
Immaculated and Callie you're both kind of correct. I'm pretty sure some of UW's automatic entrancee scholarships (the ones you're talking about Immaculated) are also called Descartes scholarships - but they are not the Descartes Nationals...

It is somewhat confusing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

either way, the name doesnt matter - the point was that writing the euclid and scoring well could yield some automatic $cholar$hip$ ... :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of merm123 merm123

@immaculatedx wrote
either way, the name doesnt matter - the point was that writing the euclid and scoring well could yield some automatic $cholar$hip$ ... :P

So what did everyone think of the math contest?
Was this helpful? Yes 0