yconic - Who's Going To Be at MAC?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Who's Going To Be at MAC?!

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid
Just accepted my offer to McMaster Life Science! It was a tough choice between Kin and Life Sci, and I might still be able to change last minute... but I'm really confident I'll be staying in Life Sci! Planning on majoring in either physiology, biochem, or life science

Residence choices:
1. Bates (apartment)
2. Keyes (suite)
3. Les Prince (two bedroom with bathroom)

So excited to meet everyone! :compress: :compress: :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Man I live in Hamilton and I don't even want to go to Mac that much, I'll go if I don't get into U of T but I'm not really impressed by their Psych department.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

See I live in Mississaua, and I really don't want to go to UTM lol. It's a great school, but their Life Science program is way too small. I could go downtown, but then I would have to commute and that would be a hassle. Mac offers the UNI experience, yet my home will be just two GO train stops away :P It's perfect in my eyes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@comebackkid wrote
See I live in Mississaua, and I really don't want to go to UTM lol. It's a great school, but their Life Science program is way too small. I could go downtown, but then I would have to commute and that would be a hassle. Mac offers the UNI experience, yet my home will be just two GO train stops away :P It's perfect in my eyes.

Haha look at that huh! Well I'm either going to go to the UTSC or UTM campus not sure yet, but either way both programs are solid. I'm really specific on what field I want to study and I looked at course offerings and Mac doesn't offer any Neuropsychology classes, so I'm like "umm I'm not going to take classes I don't wanna take"

Either way, congratulations on earning that offer to Mac and I hope you enjoy your undergraduate experience there!

I'm most likely moving onto residence or into student housing :)

Funny thing is all my friends are mad at me (in a friendly way) that I won't be joining them at Mac :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Medic93 wrote

@comebackkid wrote

Haha look at that huh! Well I'm either going to go to the UTSC or UTM campus not sure yet, but either way both programs are solid. I'm really specific on what field I want to study and I looked at course offerings and Mac doesn't offer any Neuropsychology classes, so I'm like "umm I'm not going to take classes I don't wanna take"

Either way, congratulations on earning that offer to Mac and I hope you enjoy your undergraduate experience there!

Funny thing is all my friends are mad at me (in a friendly way) that I won't be joining them at Mac :P

Haha, that is pretty funny! My idea at Mac is to major in the "Life Science" Level II major which I found to be the perfect fit since it builds upon all the Life Science majors but mainly biology and psychology. That's the most ideal choice for me since I would have a lot of variety. I also want to do my Masters (and hopefully MD) at Mac, so it would become my home for the next 5+ years :) By the way, the Life Science major offers courses which touch upon neuro-chemistry, neuro-anatomy, neuro-mechanics and control; are those courses out of your spectrum? They sound really interesting!

Also, thanks! The best of luck to you as well in all of your future endeavors :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@comebackkid wrote

@Medic93 wrote

@comebackkid wrote

Haha, that is pretty funny! My idea at Mac is to major in the "Life Science" Level II major which I found to be the perfect fit since it builds upon all the Life Science majors but mainly biology and psychology. That's the most ideal choice for me since I would have a lot of variety. I also want to do my Masters (and hopefully MD) at Mac, so it would become my home for the next 5+ years :) By the way, the Life Science major offers courses which touch upon neuro-chemistry, neuro-anatomy, neuro-mechanics and control; are those courses out of your spectrum? They sound really interesting!

Also, thanks! The best of luck to you as well in all of your future endeavors :)

Don't worry I researched Mac in depth and I'm well aware of those courses and I can take the similar ones at U of T Scarborough plus ones that are only offered at the Scarborough campus.

Courses like these are unique at U of T:

Clinical Neuropsychology
Neuropsychological Rehabilitation
Brain Imaging Laboratory

Also I can take courses from Neuroscience such as:

Neuroanatomy
Sensory & Motor Systems
Synaptic Organization & Physiology of the Brain

Like I've said, I did my research Haha!

I'm planning on minoring in Biology as well!

Are you interested in a specific area of medicine yet or still awaiting to discover your interests?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My dream/goal is to become a general practitioner, and work in a hospital or with Doctors Without Borders. If I was to specialize, I would study an additional two years in oncology and radiology to help diagnose and treat cancer. However, I want to stay at Mac for another year first and complete the Masters of Science in Global Health. Life Science will provide me with all of the general scientific concepts, but I would like to graduate from this Masters program as it will provide me with research experience and insight on global health and disease before entering medical school (If I should be one of the few lucky students to be admitted into a medical school). All I know is that I'm gonna have to put in 110% from here on out! How about you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I like your plan in regards to obtaining that M.Sc. in Global Health prior to applying for Medical School. It's good to have extra qualifications just in case you don't get admitted!

I originally wanted to become a Paramedic since like the 10th grad, although I'm not totally cancelling out that career I will be placing my main focus on becoming a Clinical Neuropsychologist. I plan on first obtaining my B.Sc. from U of T, then apply to graduate school, although I won't be able to specialize in Neuropsychology until I begin a PhD I plan to do research in the areas of cognitive and behavioural function in people suffering from neurological disorders such as degenerative ones or how to improve a persons cognitive ability after they've suffered a brain injury and work on rehabilitating them.

I'm also interested in studying the effects of Post Traumatic stress, but that's going to be more on the side.

As far as what University I go to for Grad studies, we'll see down the road!

If the whole Neuropsych thing doesn't work out then I'll do the Paramedic thing :P

I have other options such as Physicians Assistant, Occupational/Physiotherapy but I'm pretty set on Neuropsychology.

Long road ahead for the both of us, but the higher you aim in life the better the outcome!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Congrats, Mac is awesome!

Just wondering though, why is Bates your first choice? Imo Keyes/LP are way nicer/newer though also more expensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mfrancis19 mfrancis19
Another question for ya :)

What made you choose Life Sci over Kine?

Edit: Didn't read rest of the posts, answered one of my questions
Was this helpful? Yes 0