yconic - Why All The Fuss About A BBA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why All The Fuss About A BBA?

A photo of junior21 junior21

@junior21 wrote
In all honesty, isn't it true that where you got your undergrad means nothing when you plan on going for your MBA or another professional degree. From what I'm told they will look at where you got your BBA but focus more on GPA, work experience and EC's.

This makes me think it would be better to go to an "easier school" such as Nippissing where you will have a higher GPA and stand out more or at least a school closer to home so you can save money.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm unsure whether I want to get my MBA or CA or both but I know I want to get further education beyond my BBA and choosing an easier schools seems to be much more beneficial.

While this is true to a certain extent, most MBA programs require job experience before applying and going to a top school will provide you a greater chance of getting those jobs. Furthermore, the alumni networks from top schools are crucial in your success. It gives you the chance to get in contact with well established individuals in your desired field of work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@junior21 wrote
In all honesty, isn't it true that where you got your undergrad means nothing when you plan on going for your MBA or another professional degree. From what I'm told they will look at where you got your BBA but focus more on GPA, work experience and EC's.

This makes me think it would be better to go to an "easier school" such as Nippissing where you will have a higher GPA and stand out more or at least a school closer to home so you can save money.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm unsure whether I want to get my MBA or CA or both but I know I want to get further education beyond my BBA and choosing an easier schools seems to be much more beneficial.

While this is true to a certain extent, most MBA programs require job experience before applying and going to a top school will provide you a greater chance of getting those jobs. Furthermore, the alumni networks from top schools are crucial in your success. It gives you the chance to get in contact with well established individuals in your desired field of work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It is the opportunities that the program has that are important.

You're chances of getting on Wall St from Ivey vs Nipissing are quite different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of whatchusaying whatchusaying

@junior21 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

You're chances of getting on Wall St from Ivey vs Nipissing are quite different.

I disagree... Only a select few may get onto Wall Street from Ivey, most likely none from Queens, York, Laurier, Toronto, etc.

However with a masters from anyone of these schools, your chances greatly increase and a top 5% grad from Nipissing would have a better shot at getting into one of these programs over a bottom 50% grad from one of the top tier schools based on their GPA.

For the record I'm not for or against going to a easier school compared to a top tier school (as I probably will end up going to a top tier school), I just want others opinions and acting as a biased force.

GPA is only one part of the MBA admissions process. MBA admissions usually consist of grades, work experience and GMAT. While higher grades may be better, it's quite likely that schools have adjustment factors, not even a high school student would deny that a 3.4 at say Harvard/Princeton isn't more attractive than a 3.8 at somewhere like Nipissing. Secondly, work experience is extremely important, however the alumni network is where jobs are created. Somewhere like Ivey no doubt has a bigger network than Nipissing.

Idk about you, but I'd hire a 3.4 student from Ivey over the 3.8 from Nipissing every day of the week, even if I had no connections to the school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gztuitui gztuitui
Pearl Necklace
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of loveshackles loveshackles

@junior21 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

I disagree... Only a select few may get onto Wall Street from Ivey, most likely none from Queens, York, Laurier, Toronto, etc.

However with a masters from anyone of these schools, your chances greatly increase and a top 5% grad from Nipissing would have a better shot at getting into one of these programs over a bottom 50% grad from one of the top tier schools based on their GPA.

For the record I'm not for or against going to a easier school compared to a top tier school (as I probably will end up going to a top tier school), I just want others opinions and acting as a biased force.

Connections are everything in the business world, and that requires the proper educational background. Saying that you're an undergrad or graduate from Harvard Business would hold A LOT more value that graduating from, say, Algoma University.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@johnnycanuck wrote

This x100

Although you may learn pretty much the same stuff at Nipissing vs Ivey, the gold comes from work experience, networking & alumni. While applying to an MBA (especially at American universities) they DO care where you go to undergrad. And the recruiting companies are a lot better at Ivey/Queens/McGill/Toronto compared to Algoma/Nipissing/Carleton etc. No matter how much people would like to deny this, you WILL have a better chance on Wall Street at a target university.

My sister only graduated with a 3.6 GPA (Join Honours in Econ & Finance) at McGill and had only done one summer internship. She got a job on Wall Street waiting for her upon graduation. Her friend who went to QC got a job with JP Morgan upon graduation. It's simply the opportunities that are present to you.

So if you're applying with a great job (goldman sachs, some big consulting firm, etc) + slightly lower GPA from a great school vs someone with an okay job + high GPA from a completely unknown school, you're probably at a disadvantage if you're the latter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0