yconic - Why business? - Discuss - few questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why business? - Discuss - few questions

A photo of Mar Mar
- What steps did you take to ensure that Business is the right career for you?
- Why do you want to study business?
- What are your short and long term goals?
- What research did you do?
- What qualities do you think you have which may help you in business?
- Where do you see yourself during the first 2 years of university and during the last 2 years and how university will help you achieve your goals?
- Where do you see yourself after graduation?

I remember seeing questions similar to these in different university applications. They really made me think. I am not sure anymore if the business is the right career for me.

Discuss :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of lemony lemony
Yeah, the uncertainty of whether I will truly love commerce is part of why I feel sceptical about putting down 15k tuition a year to go to Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thekidnextdoor thekidnextdoor
Well for me it was something like: I know I don't want to go into science. I hate science. Business was the first other well-paying career that came into mind. So, business it was.

I know that probably wasn't the best way to make a decision, but most people change careers like 3-5 times during their life. Of course I don't want to be paying my tuition for an undergraduate degree in business and then find out I hate it, but it's the only way to find out if business is a suitable career for me, so...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of axiom2true axiom2true

@Mar wrote
- Where do you see yourself during the first 2 years of university and during the last 2 years and how university will help you achieve your goals?

I remember seeing questions similar to these in different university applications. They really made me think. I am not sure anymore if the business is the right career for me.

Discuss :bball:

My answers:
1. I'm genuinely interested in world financial markets, technological progress, intellectual history, and global issues as they pertain to corporations and the consumer. I feel like a Commerce degree, coupled with a double degree in a topic of interest -- like Economics or History -- would be best.

2. Short term goals: get some solid summer positions in Queen's Commerce, to build an experience base and build a resume.

3. Read extensively - read "Last Man Standing" (story of JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon), "Snowball" (Warren Buffett), "Barbarians at the Gate" (RJR Nabisco), "Ascent of Money" (Niall Ferguson's history of money), many of Michael Lewis' books. Also forums like WallStreetOasis, MergersAndInquisitions, and ManagementConsulted helped me. I'd recommend any prospective b-school students should read up like this - it helps a lot to colour your expectations and goals.

4. I feel like I have strong presentation skills and analytical skills. I'm not afraid to speak in front of a large group at all. I hope to parlay my ambition into climbing the career ladder.

5. First two years: build a foundation. Get some work experience, get involved in extracurriculars, network with fellow students and alumni in the program. Second two years: get a reputable 3rd year internship.

6. I hope to be working in one of Toronto, San Francisco, New York, or London at a large management consulting firm or investment management/banking firm. I would work for a few years, and then possibly consider an MBA or other graduate studies, perhaps in Economics or History in preparation possibly continue with academia (professor).

Also, a good relevant discussion:
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/blog/the-value-of-undergraduate-business-school
As one commenter points out, perhaps these arguments do not apply quite as well in Canada. What do you guys think?

Really interested to hear other people's responses to this. Thought-provoking questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK

-Money is a requirement for life
-Money?
-1m equity before 25, infinite afterwards?
-hmmm started with "rich dad poor dad" when I was 10, and it moved on from there, but seriously "rich dad poor dad" is a scam
-been in business for as long as i remember
-first 2 years fun?, last to years fluke out?
-chilling by the beach
Was this helpful? Yes 0