yconic - Why do a lot of engineers think they'll be making 70k a year starting?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why do a lot of engineers think they'll be making 70k a year starting?

A photo of dominator dominator
No hate, just wondering why so many engineers think this. On average.... an engineer should expect mid 40s starting. Can be little lower or higher than that, rarely will one start off 55-60k (a small percentage of MIT grads maybe :bball: )
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of MaxwellEdison MaxwellEdison

@dominator wrote
No hate, just wondering why so many engineers think this. On average.... an engineer should expect mid 40s starting. Can be little lower or higher than that, rarely will one start off 55-60k (a small percentage of MIT grads maybe :bball: )

Perhaps they aren't as smart as they think they are.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
how much would a software engineer make as a starting salary?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dominator dominator

@Haru wrote
how much would a software engineer make as a starting salary?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of civilboy civilboy
easyyy bud are u goin to be an engineer?? or are u "hoping" for med school? whos thinking they are goin to make 70gs whos saying that on the forum? wat a hater its completely depends wat company u work for if u work for a consulting firm which i have done a placement at u will earn aroung 45gs 50 may be pushing it but if u work for company like hatch which i am doing a placement right now u will easily expect 55 to 60 grand starting
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DoctorLawyerDentist DoctorLawyerDentist
People like to look at the 2nd number in the range.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of civilboy civilboy
ovi but u need to work hard to get there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
I'm considering engineering as a back-up plan... Hope the pay gets better than that :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DOV94 DOV94
Ok, definetly not a starting salary, but I'm pretty sure if you work hard and move up the ranks you'll be getting 70k. Maybe more? I guess that misconseption is due to the fact that, really, there's an engineer behind pretty much everything. So maybe they think "hey, I'm going to be make all this stuff people need, so they HAVE to pay me big bucks for it"? I'm thinking about engineering, and I know they pay well, but not THAT well. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@DOV94 wrote
Ok, definetly not a starting salary, but I'm pretty sure if you work hard and move up the ranks you'll be getting 70k. Maybe more? I guess that misconseption is due to the fact that, really, there's an engineer behind pretty much everything. So maybe they think "hey, I'm going to be make all this stuff people need, so they HAVE to pay me big bucks for it"? I'm thinking about engineering, and I know they pay well, but not THAT well. :P

If have to move up the ranks to get a salary, then it's not the starting salary...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DOV94 DOV94

@VegaKrazmych wrote

@DOV94 wrote

If have to move up the ranks to get a salary, then it's not the starting salary...

...Yea I know. Unless I said that in a weird way. I don't know. :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33
^ This topic is about starting salaries, so it's pointless to point out you can move up to 70k. Everyone knows that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of safarhealthsci1 safarhealthsci1

@civilboy wrote
easyyy bud are u goin to be an engineer?? or are u "hoping" for med school? whos thinking they are goin to make 70gs whos saying that on the forum? wat a hater its completely depends wat company u work for if u work for a consulting firm which i have done a placement at u will earn aroung 45gs 50 may be pushing it but if u work for company like hatch which i am doing a placement right now u will easily expect 55 to 60 grand starting

I shall hope for medschool and use eng as back up, nuff said
Was this helpful? Yes 0