yconic - Why Do Canadian Univesities Only Use Gr.11 and Gr.12 Marks?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why Do Canadian Univesities Only Use Gr.11 and Gr.12 Marks?

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx
And why don't we have a standardized test?

Discuss.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Ami1471 Ami1471
I'd say because they're more challenging and specific to the subject. I know my grade 9 and 10 classes were way too easy, and although I would love to have those marks on my transcripts, they don't demonstrate my abilities very well.
I do agree that we should have a standardized test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Ami1471 wrote
I'd say because they're more challenging and specific to the subject. I know my grade 9 and 10 classes were way too easy, and although I would love to have those marks on my transcripts, they don't demonstrate my abilities very well.

I think he's asking "Why do you use highschool marks instead of SAT exams?"

As for that, I'm not entirely sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@xXxUfacStorAxXx wrote

Discuss.

Grade 9 and 10 marks shouldn't be a factor into getting university. Some people bomb Grade 9/10 for whatever reason, yet they're doing well in their senior courses. Grade 9 + 10 (and arguably 11) are the years you can experiment, and tinker with your academic strategies before hitting grade 12.

No standardized testing, probably due to lack of funding/initiative from the government. Nationwide testing can't be done (or would require substantial collaboration from all the provinces and territories), as the Ministry of Education is based on the provincial level. It would take years to develop and implement as well. Some provinces, such as BC, do offer standardized exams for individual courses, and are used heavily to determine a student's final mark in such course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx

@VegaKrazmych wrote

@Ami1471 wrote

Sorry, the first poster interpreted correctly. 2 different questions are what I'm asking.

I agree with grade 9 and 10, but why aren't grade 11 marks heavily used as well? I feel like grade 11 should be weighted almost as heavily as grade 12.

And for the standardized test, I get that Ontario has a 'standardized curriculum', but it varies from school to school (difficulty). And a general test across the country would be a much better indicator than grades..especially when you have a student applying from Calgary, while another applies from Victoria to U of Toronto. So different. How can you even dare to view the grades in comparison to Ontario applicants?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik

@Reality wrote

@xXxUfacStorAxXx wrote

Discuss.

Grade 9 and 10 marks shouldn't be a factor into getting university. Some people bomb Grade 9/10 for whatever reason, yet they're doing well in their senior courses. Grade 9 + 10 (and arguably 11) are the years you can experiment, and tinker with your academic strategies before hitting grade 12.

No standardized testing, probably due to lack of funding/initiative from the government. Nationwide testing can't be done (or would require substantial collaboration from all the provinces and territories), as the Ministry of Education is based on the provincial level. It would take years to develop and implement as well. Some provinces, such as BC, do offer standardized exams for individual courses, and are used heavily to determine a student's final mark in such course.

This.

This method should be used nationwide.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@xXxUfacStorAxXx wrote

@VegaKrazmych wrote

@Ami1471 wrote

Sorry, the first poster interpreted correctly. 2 different questions are what I'm asking.

I agree with grade 9 and 10, but why aren't grade 11 marks heavily used as well? I feel like grade 11 should be weighted almost as heavily as grade 12.

And for the standardized test, I get that Ontario has a 'standardized curriculum', but it varies from school to school (difficulty). And a general test across the country would be a much better indicator than grades..especially when you have a student applying from Calgary, while another applies from Victoria to U of Toronto. So different. How can you even dare to view the grades in comparison to Ontario applicants?

Don't think you can compare areas of Ontario, and often school to school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Canadian high school curriculum is a big joke and universities know that. For example, Math 11 and all grade 11 Sciences were a pure repetition for me of what I already learned in grade 7-8 in Europe.

You should thank god if you'll get 80%+ in university science and math courses because thats where the real education starts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@xXxUfacStorAxXx wrote

@VegaKrazmych wrote

@Ami1471 wrote

I think Grade 12 marks are only taken into account because it's perceived that Grade 12 marks are a direct (but somewhat not accurate) correlation to how well one does in university, or it's been a longstanding tradition to just use Grade 12 marks.

It's true. There is a substantial difference in terms of what is taught across Ontario. Many schools, for example, will skip some units in Chemistry and in Biology 12, because they simply don't have the time to cover all the material that needs to be covered. Some schools in Toronto don't even have math questions based on TIPS (Thinking, Inquiry and Problem Solving), because the inner-city schools there are more catered to post-secondary education like trades, and second, inner-city areas tend to have academically weaker students due to various social factors. And I agree - some FORM of standardized testing should be implemented to avoid academic disparity among schools, and it can be used as a medium to see which schools are underperforming, and try to alleviate these disparities from there.

It's not very feasible to have a nationwide standardized test in my opinion. I don't think we'll ever see this happen. It would take too long to develop (democratic gridlock / lack of money / etc.) and there isn't a strong enough movement to make this happen.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@xXxUfacStorAxXx wrote

Discuss.

Our universities are a lot larger and more often public than those in the US (where they use all of one's high school marks and standardized test scores). They're much easier to get accepted to. Competition/privatization would raise tuition and lower school sizes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@Mar wrote
Canadian high school curriculum is a big joke and universities know that. For example, Math 11 and all grade 11 Sciences were a pure repetition for me of what I already learned in grade 7-8 in Europe.

Nope. We all learn the same sh!t in the end. Why is there any need to rush kids through to calculus? Reminds me of the stories of kids in Korea who have to work day and night to keep up with their schooling. So what? So they can learn calculus over and over again and then forget it a few years later? So many students learn calculus and never even use it.

The reality is, there's only so much you need to know to be successful in your career. There's no need to over-educate. It can be stressful and potentially, if the kids are studying day and night, lead to antisocial drones. Even in what you consider to be a big joke of an education system, I still learned way too much unnecessary crap.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Which grade 9/10 actually gives a crud about university..

This is a rhetorical question
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shesoartsy shesoartsy
grade 11/12 courses discuss greater into detail of core concepts in a course, which so happens to be fundamental (basic at its best) knowledge in first year undergraduate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shannonannabel shannonannabel
i think standardized tests should be used..
it means that each student is studying the same topics.
and also, it helps students prepare for the importance of exams at university; Alberta has standardized tests which are worth 50% of the final mark, and that has made taking heavily weighted exams at university less stressful for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dominator dominator

@Mar wrote

You should thank god if you'll get 80%+ in university science and math courses because thats where the real education starts.

lol. real education that you'll barely use
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of riverbkstar riverbkstar
because thats when ur an adult. most kids wake up one morning in gr 11 or 12 and say i wanna be that and then start working towards it. universities will look on the past 2 years mainly because they r most recent as 2gr 9 or 10 marks which arent as accurate. they want a student getting those marks NOW not 4 yrs ago. u cood have aced gr 9 and failed gr 11 doesnt means ur gonna get in. they want smart kids in september. not 4 yrs ago
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MeggieGirl MeggieGirl
In Alberta we have standardized tests known as diplomas. Everyone in Alberta in a certain course takes the same test. They are worth 50% of our school grade.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase

@MeggieGirl wrote
In Alberta we have standardized tests known as diplomas. Everyone in Alberta in a certain course takes the same test. They are worth 50% of our school grade.

I really don't see the point in bumping a 6 month year old thread to post that, but I'm sure many users on here will benefit from those nuggets of wisdom.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
IB Diploma Program
Grade 11 and 12
Standardized exam for everything you learned in grade 11 and 12: around 16 exams and bunch of internal and external assessment
All exam papers and external assessments shipped to Europe, Australia, etc.
Weighted 100% of your diploma grade.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Standardized testing won't accurately determine how you are as a student.
After all, course marks displays how you did during school, not during a test.

so personally, no to standardized testing~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33

@Rodarte wrote
Standardized testing won't accurately determine how you are as a student.
After all, course marks displays how you did during school, not during a test.

so personally, no to standardized testing~

I agree. I hate final exams.
I'm sh*tting bricks over my physics final on Friday and my IB final exams next year in May 2012.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I love exams. I test very well, write very quickly, etc. I took full IB. Those IB exams were worse than university...not necessarily in difficulty, but in quantity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0