yconic - Why do you want to become a Nurse?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why do you want to become a Nurse?

A photo of hope416 hope416
Well, i like sciences and im very interested in the human body and how everything works. Plus, i do love how nurses save lives :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@hope416 wrote
Well, i like sciences and im very interested in the human body and how everything works. Plus, i do love how nurses save lives :)

same here! My favourite shows as a kid were ER, and Untold stories of the ER! haha:cheers:
I also like the fact that there are so many opportunities once you get your basic RN degree!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WTP1186 WTP1186
I want a challenging career in which I'm constantly learning new things and never falling into a career rut. I'd like to be an emergency room nurse to gain necessary experience to eventually become involved in disaster relief (logistics or on the field)...

I hope it works out. :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zzkoone zzkoone
The career is really flexible since there are so many fields of nursing in so many different settings, and you get to work with people of all backgrounds. I also love how it's such a rewarding career, that I will be able to come home each day having accomplished SOMETHING. I'm volunteering at the hospital right now and it feels great when I get a "thank you" from patients after helping them :D I just feel like nursing is the perfect job for my personality, since I love helping and working with others. I also really want to stay away from desk jobs like accountant, financial analysis, etc...the thought of it is sleep-inducing LOL. Oh, and I love biology - it's just way too cool to learn about our own body. Of course, I'm sure there are many more reasons but this is all my sleepy head can think of right now :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of squinto squinto
Wow, you guys seem to know what you're doing! I, on the other hand, sort of don't.

I know I want to get involved in healthcare, I know that I want to someday help with disaster relief and/or bring medical care to remote areas, and I love the idea of helping others (especially the idea of aiding them in their times of need)--but the thing is, there are a lot of ways to help others, and healthcare, in general, is a really broad field. Since I'm not sure which specialty to enter just yet, I'm going into nursing for now, which is an area with a bunch of opportunities, which is something I totally dig.

@zzkoone wrote
I'm volunteering at the hospital right now and it feels great when I get a "thank you" from patients after helping them :D

I am so jealous! I've always wanted to volunteer at a hospital! I tried applying last summer and they told me they'd call me, but it seems like they forgot. I got the 2-step TB test and everything too, so I felt really cheated. :(

On the bright side, I did get to volunteer at a long-term care facility, and while I didn't exactly help with health-related issues, I ended up giving a lot of the residents some company, which they told me they appreciated. They were just very nice people, and I felt like my experience with them helped to humanize them in my eyes. I just wish I was able to care for them in terms of their illnesses/medication!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zzkoone zzkoone

@squinto wrote
I am so jealous! I've always wanted to volunteer at a hospital! I tried applying last summer and they told me they'd call me, but it seems like they forgot. I got the 2-step TB test and everything too, so I felt really cheated. :(

On the bright side, I did get to volunteer at a long-term care facility, and while I didn't exactly help with health-related issues, I ended up giving a lot of the residents some company, which they told me they appreciated. They were just very nice people, and I felt like my experience with them helped to humanize them in my eyes. I just wish I was able to care for them in terms of their illnesses/medication!

Nah I do similar things at the hospital as you do in long-term care, nothing medical related haha! I volunteered at LTC before, too, but I prefer the hospital settings more. Mainly because there's a wider range of patient diversity as opposed to just elders. Yeah sometimes the volunteer coordinator has a lot of things to do and might forget. You just have to call and remind (bug) them. They are very nice people so don't be hesitant. Plus, YOU are offering help to them, so don't be shy ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hope416 hope416
I agree, you can do many things with a nursing degree for instance you can become a nurse practioner, nurse anesteisist, Head Nurse, nurse administration, go to medical school, or become a professor. Also you can volunteer/work for red cross and other organizations and help bring aid to developing countries or coutries that are facing a catastrophe.

It truly is a rewarding career. I originally wanted to become a doctor but i jus didn't have the passion go through 8+ years of studying. And it seemed like i wanted to go into that career for mainly prestige and make my "brown parents" proud. So yeah, i knew this was not my passion so i had to rethink my career path.

At first i didn't have a great impression on nursing just because the nurses that i knew didn't seem to like their job at all they hated it. I volunteered at a Senior home and i see how some nurses are the total opposite, their so caring and even with their busy schedule they'd have these meaningful conversations with the seniors and make them happy. To be a nurse you truly have to put the patient before your yourself. But you get something out of it too. You learn so much from these interactitions w/ others.

I knew nursing was the career for me because I enjoy conforting, helping and bringing hope to others. This job would give me oppurtunities to share my faith and my experiences w/ others and at the same time learn from them. Now a days i do notice that the health field has become a bussiness there truly isn't any compassion. I often do see nurses and doctors who mistreat their patients. It's really sad to see this! I hope this changes!

But anyways, i hope that you guys all fall in love with this career and find out what it truly means to be a nurse! :) god bless <3
Was this helpful? Yes 0