yconic - Why I Chose a School Far Away from Home
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why I Chose a School Far Away from Home

A photo of christi88 christi88
Hey Forumers!

We recently added a blog post to the stacks that addressed the difficult decision of staying near home for school, or going to a school far away, even across the country. Do many of you struggle with this decision? What influenced you to make the decision you did - whether to stay nearby or attend a school far away from home? Most importantly - are you HAPPY with this decision? Was it everything you thought it would be, or were you surprised with the realities of your decision? Do you have any advice for students struggling with this decision at the moment?

Here's Megann Licskai's story:

"I grew up in London, Ontario, home of the Western Mustangs [insert rowdy cheer here]. However, I'm at the University of King’s College in Halifax, a school 2000km away. Those of you who grew up in a university town will understand why this is confusing for some people. I think when you're surrounded by student life, there's a sense of complacency. People expect you to go to your home school, especially when it's a wonderful school like Western.

But I knew right away that Western wasn't the right match for me - I didn't even apply to a school that was less than an 8 hour drive away. And there are a few reasons why that was absolutely a good decision:

1) I'm shy. It is wrong to think that shyness is a good reason to stay home. I'm perfectly content to spend all weekend with a pile of books and Hitchcock movies... if I was home I would probably never go out. By moving across the country, I put myself in a situation where I need to go socialize - and I've made some really amazing friends because of it.

2) Western is a VERY BIG SCHOOL. Big schools are right for some people, but I love the close-knit King's community - I am on a first name basis with almost everybody in my year.

3) London is... kind of boring. It's a great city to grow up, study, work, or raise a family in. It's also a city that I know well. I was itching to see other parts of the country and to live somewhere with a bigger arts scene.

One of my profs told me that I "escaped the Western trap." I don't take this to be a negative judgement on Western, but a positive judgement on me. I could have done the easy thing and stayed at home. Instead, I took a risk, and every day I am glad that I did."

Megann Licskai is a freshman in the Foundation Year Program at the University of King’s College in Halifax.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@christi88 wrote
Hey Forumers!

We recently added a blog post to the stacks that addressed the difficult decision of staying near home for school, or going to a school far away, even across the country. Do many of you struggle with this decision? What influenced you to make the decision you did - whether to stay nearby or attend a school far away from home? Most importantly - are you HAPPY with this decision? Was it everything you thought it would be, or were you surprised with the realities of your decision? Do you have any advice for students struggling with this decision at the moment?

Here's Megann Licskai's story:

"I grew up in London, Ontario, home of the Western Mustangs [insert rowdy cheer here]. However, I'm at the University of King’s College in Halifax, a school 2000km away. Those of you who grew up in a university town will understand why this is confusing for some people. I think when you're surrounded by student life, there's a sense of complacency. People expect you to go to your home school, especially when it's a wonderful school like Western.

But I knew right away that Western wasn't the right match for me - I didn't even apply to a school that was less than an 8 hour drive away. And there are a few reasons why that was absolutely a good decision:

1) I'm shy. It is wrong to think that shyness is a good reason to stay home. I'm perfectly content to spend all weekend with a pile of books and Hitchcock movies... if I was home I would probably never go out. By moving across the country, I put myself in a situation where I need to go socialize - and I've made some really amazing friends because of it.

2) Western is a VERY BIG SCHOOL. Big schools are right for some people, but I love the close-knit King's community - I am on a first name basis with almost everybody in my year.

3) London is... kind of boring. It's a great city to grow up, study, work, or raise a family in. It's also a city that I know well. I was itching to see other parts of the country and to live somewhere with a bigger arts scene.

One of my profs told me that I "escaped the Western trap." I don't take this to be a negative judgement on Western, but a positive judgement on me. I could have done the easy thing and stayed at home. Instead, I took a risk, and every day I am glad that I did."

Megann Licskai is a freshman in the Foundation Year Program at the University of King’s College in Halifax.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
True.
I live in London. I'd never go to Western - I just don't wanna see all the people I went to school with. I simply do not. I'm not shy. I'm just tired of them.
I want a fresh start.

London IS boring. There is literally nothing here. There's no expansion, jobs, careers, anything - it's not like Toronto, which is like NY where everyone can get a job. You cannot do anything in London besides live.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Piminion Piminion
I feel the same way. I actually live in Toronto and want to stay away from UofT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111
I go to a school that's about a 9 hour drive from home (Toronto) and it's one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I would definitely not be as happy if I had went to UofT or UTSC and had to commute from home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
my school is about an hour and a half from home. I'm currently living at home and commuting (bleh) but that wasn't my initial plan at all... oh well. moving out again next year for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0