yconic - Why is grade 12 Chemistry killing me ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why is grade 12 Chemistry killing me ?

A photo of ateen ateen
Through hard work, I got high 80's in gr 12 math, calculus, physics. But I can't get out of the 70's in gr 12 Chemistry. What is wrong with me? I know other people LOVE chemistry. What am I missing? Does anyone have advice for success in Chemistry? Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of stoichiometry stoichiometry
In chemistry it is important to understand the concepts and make them natural to you just like in physics, and memorize like in biology. I can't give you a more specific advice, because I don't know what exactly are you struggling with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
At my school, Chem 12 is pretty much application based, but the teachers only give you the rules and exceptions. Maybe it's the same at your school? Make sure you fully understand WHY things happen as well as you know HOW they happen. I know that helped me a lot.

Best of luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I hated chemistry last year and got a 76 but i barely did any work. This year I am taking time and effort into doing my work and it is really paying off! Im getting all 4's in class and it all is starting to make SO much sense! For me personally, it is the one class I struggle with so i find that if you take the time to read it and completely understand it you will enjoy it more and your marks will improve. @Linnifer is right, you have to understand the why and the how. Different compared to a course such as bio, where, "it just is".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@stoichiometry wrote
In chemistry it is important to understand the concepts and make them natural to you just like in physics, and memorize like in biology. I can't give you a more specific advice, because I don't know what exactly are you struggling with.

LOL i love your username!

But to the OP, I had the opposite problem as you. Mostly everyone I know says Physics is the hardest science. In Chemistry, it is a combination of theory - which you just have to understand conceptually, and apply. I recommend Hebden 12 Chemistry, you can get it on Amazon.ca. The theory is explained in such a simplified yet detailed way, that it really helps you understand the content and the practice questions (with full solutions) makes it so much easier to apply your knowledge. It really helped me earn my 97 in Chemistry.

If you can't get it, I recommend just reading your textbook, make sure you master the theory part, any trouble you have, go to your teacher right away to clear away your doubts. Theory is about 50% of Chemistry, and it tends to be the harder part. But if you guys are doing Atomic Structure right now, don't worry, that is a very conceptual unit that most chem students have difficulty with. After that, it gets to mainly calculations and the theory is 10x easier than the theory in Atomic Structure.

For the calculations (the other 50%), all you have to do is do the homework questions and make sure you know all the steps to solving a math problem - calorimetry, equilibrium, etc. They involve a lot of steps so you have to do the homework to make sure you know it, it's just simple algebra.

But since you aced Physics, you'll probably own this part of Chemistry :P

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0