yconic - Why is the cut off for UT/UTM/UTS Life Sci so LOW?!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why is the cut off for UT/UTM/UTS Life Sci so LOW?!

A photo of raymondkhanano77 raymondkhanano77
What I don't understand is how two schools with nearly equal amounts of reputation in Canada, McGill and UofT, have such a big gap between their admission average? No less than a 93 at McGill, but if you apply to U of T with an 83 there's a good chance you'll get in, right? Probably not into one of the colleges, but for someone who lives in the GTA they could easily commute.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
U of T has the space to take in a lot of 1st years, so they don't have to be selective (the admission cutoff is only like 75-80% or something like that), because they pretty much take in everyone who applies. Then they weed people out in 1st year with difficult courses.

Essentially it's a money grabbing scheme imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@inthemaking wrote
U of T has the space to take in a lot of 1st years, so they don't have to be selective (the admission cutoff is only like 75-80% or something like that), because they pretty much take in everyone who applies. Then they weed people out in 1st year with difficult courses.

Essentially it's a money grabbing scheme imo.

So true, even though it's a different campus (UTM) my friend who is in Life Sciences told me how his other friends were failing up to 3 courses within their semester. One ridiculous thing he told me, some guy who came from Mentor College failed practically everything in his Management major. I still think U of T is a solid school but I base their reputation on graduate studies and not undergraduate education.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Trarod Trarod

@raymondkhanano77 wrote
What I don't understand is how two schools with nearly equal amounts of reputation in Canada, McGill and UofT, have such a big gap between their admission average? No less than a 93 at McGill, but if you apply to U of T with an 83 there's a good chance you'll get in, right? Probably not into one of the colleges, but for someone who lives in the GTA they could easily commute.

Basically U of T is just looking to fill up seats in their program. They take in 1800 life scis and weed out a third of them by the end of first year. By the end of second year, they cut it down to about 900. And yes, it's a money grab, U of T is known for research (because research publications get them more grant money and recongnition), they don't care about undergrads. Personally I think the McGill system is much more humane.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MattUK MattUK
U of T is a deceptive school - many students think that they can have low marks, and still go to one of the best schools in the world. But U of T doesn't weed out during admissions, it weeds out during first and second year. If you survive that, there are many opportunities to get involved and have a great experience, but it's stressful at first - still, the sense of accomplishment if you survive is nice! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0