yconic - Why Rotman Commerce has such a low reputation?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why Rotman Commerce has such a low reputation?

A photo of jasonty9 jasonty9
Do you think it is because a lot of new immigrants apply there and because their English is not fluent, they become less competitive when applying for jobs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1
That is exactly why. Not the fact that they're immigrants or not, it's just a matter of English proficiency. If there are two applicants who are identical on paper, why would the firm hire the one who can't speak a full sentence of English when the other applicant is fluent?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen
What year did you guys graduate from rotmans?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@Augustus1 wrote
That is exactly why. Not the fact that they're immigrants or not, it's just a matter of English proficiency. If there are two applicants who are identical on paper, why would the firm hire the one who can't speak a full sentence of English when the other applicant is fluent?

What proof do you have? While I'm sure it contributes, I hardly doubt "that is exactly why". Why does Waterloo have such good placements than when it is universally considered an "Asian" school (hence, implying there's a lot of immigrants/people no good engrish there). I'd say it's more because of the faculty's lack of funding into the career centre, which is essentially what gets kids interviews and placements. Just my best guess.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@iliketurtles wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

What proof do you have? While I'm sure it contributes, I hardly doubt "that is exactly why". Why does Waterloo have such good placements than when it is universally considered an "Asian" school (hence, implying there's a lot of immigrants/people no good engrish there). I'd say it's more because of the faculty's lack of funding into the career centre, which is essentially what gets kids interviews and placements. Just my best guess.

You're right, I haven't heard any great things about their career center from current students. What they also don't like is that the program has such a big pool of international students who actually barely speak English and cannot write an exam without a translator. Those two factors, combined with the jump in tuition costs in second year to $13 K doesn't make it a desired destination for many students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0