yconic - Why the heck
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why the heck

A photo of Lang89 Lang89
Can someone explain to me, why as a student a.k.a. someone NEEDING money to help pay for post-secondary would ever pay to enter a scholarship or sign up for something that will cost the student money like a bank account or paid-service?? To me this is ridiculous if I had money to waste it certainly wouldn't be spent by signing up for every money hungry cash scam scholarship/bursary. So what if it's only $20, if the scholarship is worth $5000 yet it's open to the country filled with tens of thousands of students, all the money hungry "enterprising" company or third party needs is less than 300 students to sign up and bam they've made their money back plus when all is said and done thousands and thousands more.

How is this helping students out of kindness?? Or for a corporate tax exemption at least?? Have student scholarships and awards and bursaries now become a lottery because in my eyes there really is no difference. You pay your money, the draw happens and unless your the .0001 percent surprise you've lost your money and school still needs to be paid. Personally I'd rather buy the local lottery ticket and hope to win a million.

All these questions are rhetorical by the way, if you want to jump in feel free but this is my 2-cents.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
I have yet to encounter a scholarship that has an application fee (minus entrance scholarships which require you to apply to the school first.) If a scholarship was asking for money from me, I'd be very, very leery and question it's legitimacy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
The CFUW awards require a $60 application fee. Even though I know their awards are legitimate, I chose not to apply because I think it is ridiculous to have to pay to apply for a scholarship, and that it does seem very scam-like. If they don't have the money to afford these awards, they shouldn't be giving them out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I just google'd the CFUW scholarship. Is it not a scholarship for women who are doing graduate studies?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@cyynthiia wrote
I just google'd the CFUW scholarship. Is it not a scholarship for women who are doing graduate studies?

Yes. I am a woman who is doing graduate studies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0