yconic - Why would someone choose Schulich over AFM-FM?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Why would someone choose Schulich over AFM-FM?

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith
I am just curious why many people would choose Schulich over AFM-FM if you want to become a CA. If you are in FM, you are basically in PA as well. Even if you don't find CA jobs, you are still in a co-op program and will be able to make money. After your 4 years, you can apply for the MAcc program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of g93 g93
1. Cheaper tuition

2. Full business program

3. More girls
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
4. Faster if you want to become a CA

5. Not narrow enough to confine themselves to one career path at 18 years of age

6. York girls
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith

@IanSharer wrote

5. Not narrow enough to confine themselves to one career path at 18 years of age

6. York girls

Can you explain why it is faster? If a FM student is able to find CA jobs, then that student will have 16 months of work experience after graduation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

6. York girls

I got 4 and 5

4. Not necessarily
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@g93 wrote

@IanSharer wrote

6. York girls

I got 4 and 5

4. Not necessarily

You got 4 but disagree with it?

I'll explain my reasoning anyway: After the five years it takes to complete the FM and Macc program, you would have accumulated no CA hours (unless you found employment on your own). In that time, a Schulich grad would have at least 12 months, if not 16 or 20 (depending on summer internships).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of speedy48 speedy48
7. shrooms
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@g93 wrote

@IanSharer wrote

6. York girls

I got 4 and 5

4. Not necessarily

You got 4 but disagree with it?

I'll explain my reasoning anyway: After the five years it takes to complete the FM and Macc program, you would have accumulated no CA hours (unless you found employment on your own). In that time, a Schulich grad would have at least 12 months, if not 16 or 20 (depending on summer internships).

Sorry, that was supposed to be 5 and 6

There is stil la very good chance you get CATO jobs. Considering many people in FM are going after finance jobs or some wanting to become CMAs, there is a large number of CATO jobs. You could do the diploma program and write the exams at the same time as the Schulich student, and still get some work experience in the months after. In addition, you must be at a CATO to write the exams. If you are at Waterloo you are either a)Exempt from two of them and/or b) have a high chance of being with a firm, especially if you get co-op jobs already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0