yconic - Will bad score on contests affect Engineering Admission @ Waterloo?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will bad score on contests affect Engineering Admission @ Waterloo?

A photo of iRamie iRamie
If i do bad on the Euclid or something like that, will it negatively effect my admission? They might say it doesn't but you could never be too sure :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Couldn't you just choose to not report your score?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I emailed Admissions with a similar question except about the CCC rather than Euclid (but I was wondering for both). I got this reply:

"The CCC is not required for admission to Software Engineering. The results of this competition are only used by the Faculty of Mathematics in reviewing applicants to their programs. We encourage participation, since it is a challenging exercise"

I suppose they're looking for the fact that you took the challenge; I suppose if you do well, this will effect your application positively, but I don't think that not scoring a top score will put you at a disadvantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adv4ntag3 adv4ntag3
doing contests can only help you, they won't hurt you in any way...if you score amazingly on the euclid, waterloo will give you the opportunity to take their advanced math courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711

@iliketurtles wrote

Since the contests are written and marked by Waterloo I would assume they know your score already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@adv4ntag3 wrote
doing contests can only help you, they won't hurt you in any way...if you score amazingly on the euclid, waterloo will give you the opportunity to take their advanced math courses

They say it doesn't affect it, but what if it really does?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cpeister cpeister

@iRamie wrote

@adv4ntag3 wrote

They say it doesn't affect it, but what if it really does?

In general I didn't score exceptionally well on the math contests I wrote. But I think that having written several math, chem, physics, and the ccc helped my application. They want to see that you are taking the challenges. Doing incredibly well will certainly help you, but getting 1% should not hurt you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of snowbunny snowbunny
Just curious how do you know all those contests helped your application, did someone in admissions tell you this or is this an assumption you're making. Also what do you mean by 1%, is that getting 1% on the contests?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
It will never hurt your application to have done a contest ... even if you utterly fail it.

For math, they add 1% to your admission average if you just write the Euclid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@kyleigh711 wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

Since the contests are written and marked by Waterloo I would assume they know your score already.

True, but all you have to do is give your name. You don't need a student ID or OEN or anything of the sort, so I doubt they have the time to match the scores with the applicant it belongs to simply based on the name unless the applicant mentions it themselves?
Was this helpful? Yes 0