yconic - Will english course be mandatory in Uni for Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will english course be mandatory in Uni for Engineering?

A photo of rendition rendition
Hi, I ve been mostly a lurker in these forums and I am glad I found it! But one question that has been on my mind is that will english be a mandatory course in university for enginner? Not that I do bad in english I usually get mid 80s, but I don't really enjoy it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Unfortunately, English is mandatory in any and all university programs. I know- it sucks. It's personally my lowest in my top 6, and there's no way to avoid that (mandatory programs will always be included, even if you have 6 other marks higher than that). And even before that, you need a fourth English credit for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma. Just make sure you have a good teacher that cares for the class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
He's not asking about high school English, he's asking whether he will have to take English in university.

Some engineering programs require you to take one English course, some don't. Depends on the school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
english is mandatory in ontario regardless of ... anything. so, even if you're not even going to university, it's mandatory to graduate in ontario... and i'm pretty sure in any other province.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
People don't even read....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
hey enginner (lol),

I'll attempt to answer your question since everyone here is illiterate. I don't think English is mandatory in most programs, but it depends on the specific school/program. You can probably find more info on the schools' websites.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner
It depends on the university.

Some universities require ALL students, regardless of major, to take first year English.

Some universities have "English or Writing for Engineering Students."

Other universities have first year design courses that incorporate a lot of writing of reports, etc.

Other universities don't require anything of the sort, but ALL accredited engineering programs, in Ontario at least, have a certain number of "breadth" requirements - so you will need to take some sort of arts or social science courses. They don't need to be English, but they will likely involve writing essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@ktel wrote

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ktel wrote

That's because they don't know how to. Kraken should teach the illiterate. LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
literacy lessons anyone? I accept payments of money, food, alcohol, or eternal love and gratitude.
Was this helpful? Yes 0