yconic - Will failing Euclid affect me much?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will failing Euclid affect me much?

A photo of PiggyAndy PiggyAndy
I've been admitted into Engineering at Waterloo already. Did not realize Euclid is tomorrow until this past weekend, and a friend of mine wanted me to take his spot in Euclid so I was like "sure why not!". The problem is, I am not very prepared right now the fact the contest IS tomorrow. I am wondering will doing bad at Euclid affect me (my admission to waterloo etc) in any way?

Thanks in advance
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of TotoSmith TotoSmith

@PiggyAndy wrote
I've been admitted into Engineering at Waterloo already. Did not realize Euclid is tomorrow until this past weekend, and a friend of mine wanted me to take his spot in Euclid so I was like "sure why not!". The problem is, I am not very prepared right now the fact the contest IS tomorrow. I am wondering will doing bad at Euclid affect me (my admission to waterloo etc) in any way?

Thanks in advance

It shouldn't affect you at all. It's recommended you write it if you apply to the faculty of math and even then it doesn't really affect you in terms of admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
no
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Marshmallowfluff Marshmallowfluff
SUP ANDY LOL
euclid only for math faculty
LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Lol, my math teacher tells my class today that the Euclid is tomorrow...and we have her for one of those courses in which she is supposed to prepare you for the contest. Not only did she fail to give us any additional work in the past semester, she tells us today that the contest tomorrow.

Anyway, back to your old question, it will not affect your admission whatsoever. :cheese:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose
First of all, even in math, "failing" the Euclid has no bearing on your admissions, though doing well on the Euclid can help you quite a bit. In engineering, it's totally irrelevant to your admissions.

Second, just to clarify... the Euclid is out of 100 points. The average is usually in the 40s. I would consider a fail to be 25 points or less. Just go out, do your best, and don't worry too much about it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vingilot Vingilot
Hey guys, not too sure how I'll do tomorrow and was also concerned if a poor performance might weigh negatively. While I hope it doesn't and I know most people say it won't, I got this email back in March saying:

As you prepare for your university studies, I strongly encourage you to participate in the Euclid Mathematics Contest. This is a great way to refresh your knowledge and it will help you in any university program in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or the sciences.The Euclid Contest will be written in North America and South America on April 11, 2012, and outside of North America and South America on April 12, 2012.The Euclid is not required for admission to Waterloo, but a strong performance can help earn you a place in Faculty of Mathematics programs. In some of our programs where enrollment is limited and demand is great, we do use Euclid Contest scores to help with difficult admission decisions.

The associate dean mentions that it could effect your mark but I still think it's good to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of seasharp seasharp

@Vingilot wrote
Hey guys, not too sure how I'll do tomorrow and was also concerned if a poor performance might weigh negatively. While I hope it doesn't and I know most people say it won't, I got this email back in March saying:

As you prepare for your university studies, I strongly encourage you to participate in the Euclid Mathematics Contest. This is a great way to refresh your knowledge and it will help you in any university program in mathematics, computer science, engineering, or the sciences.The Euclid Contest will be written in North America and South America on April 11, 2012, and outside of North America and South America on April 12, 2012.The Euclid is not required for admission to Waterloo, but a strong performance can help earn you a place in Faculty of Mathematics programs. In some of our programs where enrollment is limited and demand is great, we do use Euclid Contest scores to help with difficult admission decisions.

The associate dean mentions that it could effect your mark but I still think it's good to do.

In a scenario where they have to pick between two identical people, except that one person wrote the Euclid and did "poorly" on it, and the other didn't write it at all, I think they'd pick the Euclid-writing one. I doubt they'd use the Euclid against you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0