yconic - Will I be able to get a good scholarship??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I be able to get a good scholarship??

A photo of Peutaiite Peutaiite
Everyone tells me to apply for scholarships, and I don't know how/if I will get one.

My marks for grade 11:

Functions11: 98%
AdvancedFunctions12: 98%
Chemistry11: 95%
Theory11: 93%
Biology11: 92%
English11: 90%
Music11: 85%
French11: 85%

How do I apply for a scholarship? Will I get a good one with the marks that I have now? Are there certain Canadian universities that will give be better/worse scholarships?

I asked my guidance counselor, but all she did was give me a sheet with websites on it that I can't find. So here I am asking you guys for help. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Yes, you have a good shot at a lot of scholarships with grades like that.

I have received $50,000 worth of scholarships in my undergrad. $32,000 of that came from my university (the University of Alberta). $14,000 of that came from various Alberta government scholarships based on grades or because I played a varsity sport. You can see that is obviously the majority. I would suggest you start looking now at the websites of schools you want to go to and look at the scholarships they have and whether they are automatic or you require an application. Looking for scholarships is definitely a process, so you need to start now and keep track of deadlines, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Peutaiite Peutaiite

@ktel wrote

I have received $50,000 worth of scholarships in my undergrad. $32,000 of that came from my university (the University of Alberta). $14,000 of that came from various Alberta government scholarships based on grades or because I played a varsity sport. You can see that is obviously the majority. I would suggest you start looking now at the websites of schools you want to go to and look at the scholarships they have and whether they are automatic or you require an application. Looking for scholarships is definitely a process, so you need to start now and keep track of deadlines, etc.

Thank you for the advice!! I'll do that! :)

I have one last question.

Someone told me that I would never be able to get a scholarship to a school like UBC because, "you need to have a 99% average." I don't really believe them, and the website leads me to believe they were really exaggerating.

They were exaggerating, right? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of excitedloon excitedloon

@Peutaiite wrote
Everyone tells me to apply for scholarships, and I don't know how/if I will get one.

My marks for grade 11:

Functions11: 98%
AdvancedFunctions12: 98%
Chemistry11: 95%
Theory11: 93%
Biology11: 92%
English11: 90%
Music11: 85%
French11: 85%

How do I apply for a scholarship? Will I get a good one with the marks that I have now? Are there certain Canadian universities that will give be better/worse scholarships?

I asked my guidance counselor, but all she did was give me a sheet with websites on it that I can't find. So here I am asking you guys for help. :)

Some scholarships such as Loran and TD have a minimum required average that doesn't matter too much.. it's basically a check box kind of deal - you meet it or you don't.

When it comes to school specific entrance scholarships, with those grades, you'll get the entrance scholarship depending on the school as long as you maintain the same level for your grade 12 courses (although, some schools require minimum 95% average to get an automatic entrance scholarship). In terms of school specific Major Entrance Scholarships, it comes down to being well-rounded. There will be applicants with better grades than yours, so you will have to have some ECs and leadership experience to increase your odds.

Nevertheless, my advice is honestly to get organized now and apply for everything you can next year! Figure out what schools you wish to attend or are most likely to choose, look up previous scholarship applications, see what's required, determine if you're eligible, start maybe even planning what you'd include on your application, etc... Then, try searching for external national scholarships as well as community scholarships. And obviously, there are the big ones like TD and Loran where finding past applications online won't be too difficult. All this planning is a great idea.. I honestly wish I had done this last year!

It will pay off when you win money to help offset uni costs ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@Peutaiite wrote

@ktel wrote

Thank you for the advice!! I'll do that! :)

I have one last question.

Someone told me that I would never be able to get a scholarship to a school like UBC because, "you need to have a 99% average." I don't really believe them, and the website leads me to believe they were really exaggerating.

They were exaggerating, right? :P

You don't need a 99% average, but you ideally want 95%+ to get of academic scholarships. You also want strong extracurriculars. I had both, hence the amount of scholarship money I got. $20,000 of the $50,000 came in the form of entrance scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@ktel wrote
You don't need a 99% average, but you ideally want 95%+ to get of academic scholarships. You also want strong extracurriculars. I had both, hence the amount of scholarship money I got. $20,000 of the $50,000 came in the form of entrance scholarships.

Question - when you say 95%+, is that the average of your top 6, or all grade 12 courses? Because I know a lot of automatic scholarships give a certain amount for 95+.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It's typically a selection of certain grade 12 courses, not usually all of them. It will vary depending on the scholarship or school what marks they consider.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Here's a website I use to browse scholarships from different universities, check it out:

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/page.php?id=21

Also, take a look at:

http://scholarshipscanada.com/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel

@Respects wrote
wow lol well I had an 88 average and only received $750 from Mac. I guess it depends on what universities you look at. I found that for my university choices, they offered too little or few scholarships to actually make a significant impact. Keep in mind for universities that say they will give you like $10,000 for an entrance scholarship, all that money isn't given to you at once. You need to be able to maintain a very high GPA to keep it and many students struggle and don't manage to. Top universities like U of T, Queens, McGill, Western, Waterloo, Mcmaster don't offer you much money at all. Even at York I was only given an entrance scholarship of $4000 to be divided into $1000 each year. If you want money Ottawa and Carleton give the most.

That's because, no offence, an 88% average isn't amazing in the scholarship world. Like I said, a 95%+ average is ideal to max out your scholarship opportunities. Add ECs into the mix and you're golden.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of siddharth16 siddharth16
Will I get a good scholarship because my marks for grade 10 were
Math: 87%
Science: 81%
Computer science:82%
Gym: 84%
History: 83%
civcs/careers: 94%
English: 74%
French:67%

My overall in grade 10 was 82%. I was wondering if I have the chance to get a scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@siddharth16 wrote

My overall in grade 10 was 82%. I was wondering if I have the chance to get a scholarship.

If you maintain an 82% average until grade 12 then you most likely won't get any scholarships that are largely based on academic achievement. For those, you'll be competing with students who have at least low 90 averages. That being said, if you have some outstanding extracurriculars then there are lots of scholarships with a lower academic requirement (usually at least 80%) that are mostly based on ECs and leadership.

I'm assuming you're aware that you're not going to find any scholarships for grade 10 students... the vast majority are for grade 12 graduating students. With that in mind, you still have plenty of time to improve your marks in grades 11 and 12 if you want to improve your chances. Most scholarships don't even seriously consider grades 9 and 10 marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@siddharth16 wrote

Aim for at least a 90% average in grade 11 and 12 if you really want some good scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Are there seriously any government scholarships based on mostly academics (no or little essay) during high school, like grade 12? Or is academics only for university entrance scholarships?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@waazup wrote
Are there seriously any government scholarships based on mostly academics (no or little essay) during high school, like grade 12? Or is academics only for university entrance scholarships?

In Ontario the QEII Aiming for the Top scholarship gives up to $3500 for academics. Financial need is also a factor though. I'm not really sure about other provinces, and there are probably more in Ontario.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted