yconic - Will i be accepted to Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will i be accepted to Engineering?

A photo of aspiringstudent aspiringstudent
Hi guys,
I go to an Ontario semestered school. I feel so dissapointed. Lot of my friends who i know got a lower average than me in grade 12 first semester, are getting accepted to the same program i applied to.

First semester marks
ENG4U- 85%
SPH4U- 85%
MHF4U1 - 90%
SB14U-88%
Average - 87%

Programs Applied
Waterloo- Mechanical Engineering (Co-op only)
McMaster University -Engineering I (Co-op)
Queens University- Engineering(General)
York University-Biomedical Science
Mcgill- General Engineering(First choice hopefully

One of my friends got into mcmaster engineering on february 17th. I thought he had a higher grade 11 average, but that was not the case. He had a 79.75%. Also an other friend got into york Bio medical sciences. He has a higher grade 11 average. I had 81.67 he had 82.45 or something close. I am just scared. I recieved the letter of acknowledgement from all universities , but I am trying to think what reasons could possibly be deterring me from getting an offer universiites to the same program my friends applied to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You will get your offer eventually, maybe in April or May. Some programs don't send out offers until the last minute. I have 87 avg, and I only received offers from Waterloo Chemical Engineering and Mcmaster co-op. I also applied to U of T track one and Queens Chemical Engineering, and I have not heard from them yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx

@SophiaRXJiang wrote
You will get your offer eventually, maybe in April or May. Some programs don't send out offers until the last minute. I have 87 avg, and I only received offers from Waterloo Chemical Engineering and Mcmaster co-op. I also applied to U of T track one and Queens Chemical Engineering, and I have not heard from them yet.

Do you mind posting your marks for grade 12 courses? I applied to ChemE at loo too but I haven't gotten an offer with an 88.67% avg.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
Does waterloo round the average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour

@plaidboy wrote
Does waterloo round the average?

No, I believe it's to one decimal point (hence why the entrance averages are ranged the way they are).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

The thing is, my friend applied for the same program as me in McMaster for Engineering Coop 1 . I applied there too. A lot of people got into the program on february. I am just wondering why i didn't receive an offer and my peers did even though they had a lower average than me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I don't know the process that universities go through to accept people early (other than great gr 11 marks) but with an 87% average, I don't think you have to worry about getting into Mac. I can't guarantee other universities but Mac will for sure accept you with that average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@lolapop wrote
For macmaster if you applied to co-op, you'd need a higher average so if your peers applied to engineering without co-op they could get in sooner with a lower average.

I was speaking to Mac profs and students at the OUF and they said that they don't care whether you pick coop or not on your application. They look at them in the same way. So really coop and non coop applications are processed in the same way. You can always join or quit coop when you are admitted. They do it for statistical purposes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey guys. Everything is fine. Apparently my marks for some odd reason was not updated in OUAC until Yesterday. Since i changed some courses in the second semester the guidance put a hold on my account so OUAC was never updated with my marks. Thanks a lot for your input.

Btw i have repeatedly said that my friends applied to the same program i did. So its not about the coop option. We both applied to coop option. Anyways thanks!

On an unrelated note: Mcgill is asking me for high school transcripts through minerva since they said further review is required. I am assuming they didnt get my marks because it said OUAC electronic transcript was mailed to them at february 23 , that means none of my marks would have gone to mcgill. But i was in other highschool for grade 9, before moving to my current one. So they want my grade 9 transcripts. I called in to confirm this. Does this mean the decision will be based on my grade 9 ,10, 11 marks. because i did really bad on those grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted