yconic - Will I be accepted??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I be accepted??

A photo of JLZ JLZ
Hey everyone, I took a grade 12 english course in a private school over the summer and I was wondering if the "better" universities would reject me when applications come. I am now hearing about so many more problems with private schools than ever before. My grade 11 english mark at my day school was a 90, but I still took private school english for grade 12 since everyone at my school insisted that it is almost impossible to get a mid 80 with our grade 12 english curriculum. Since my parents have heard about MANY horrible summer school experiences from their friends (about the teachers and everything), they made me go to private school instead (thinking that it would be better there). I ended up with a 92 in the private school course but all my other friends took summer school english and wound up with great marks as well. I really regret taking private school since I believe I still would have gotten a fairly decent mark if I had taken summer school and I also would not have been "scarred" by the reputation of private schools. All of my grade 11 marks were above 90% but I am not sure about my grade 12 marks now since the whole curriculum got so much harder :( I am thinking of universities such as U of T Rotman, Waterloo, Western, and Schulich as my best options. Do you think they will still accept me with my private school history?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of JLZ JLZ
Please someone just post something considering there are well over 200 views and no replys... I'm very worried right now:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
You'll be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@JLZ wrote
Hey everyone, I took a grade 12 english course in a private school over the summer and I was wondering if the "better" universities would reject me when applications come. I am now hearing about so many more problems with private schools than ever before. My grade 11 english mark at my day school was a 90, but I still took private school english for grade 12 since everyone at my school insisted that it is almost impossible to get a mid 80 with our grade 12 english curriculum. Since my parents have heard about MANY horrible summer school experiences from their friends (about the teachers and everything), they made me go to private school instead (thinking that it would be better there). I ended up with a 92 in the private school course but all my other friends took summer school english and wound up with great marks as well. I really regret taking private school since I believe I still would have gotten a fairly decent mark if I had taken summer school and I also would not have been "scarred" by the reputation of private schools. All of my grade 11 marks were above 90% but I am not sure about my grade 12 marks now since the whole curriculum got so much harder :( I am thinking of universities such as U of T Rotman, Waterloo, Western, and Schulich as my best options. Do you think they will still accept me with my private school history?

some schools scrutinize private school marks...private school marks are the ones that end in P. Because there has been a problem with inflation. We had a presentation today...the teacher especially mentioned this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of krankd krankd
Yeah what viking21 said is true; private schools are viewed by some universities as an easy mark booster for those that can afford it. Some view summer school as the same; it isn't as rigorous as a normal course is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0