yconic - Will I get a job after graduatibg from Ryerson Bcomm?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I get a job after graduatibg from Ryerson Bcomm?

A photo of heartlesssoul heartlesssoul
Title says it all and yeah, not a cashier job rather a decent job!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Of course you will

my mom's coworker's daughter got a job with the government in accounting and graduated from ryerson..in fact i think she got recruited as soon as she graduated
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
Of course you will

my mom's coworker's daughter got a job with the government in accounting and graduated from ryerson..in fact i think she got recruited as soon as she graduated

That is nice. How about Bay street?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
havent heard of bay street right after grad, but with some work experience first you could get in
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Yes you will.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
No one can give you a straight answer.

We can't accurately predict whether ____ is going to hire you. No one can accurately predict the future in 4-5 years.

Those who give you a definite yes/no are making a rushed assumption.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LampShade wrote
Yes you will.

The thing which is bothering me the most is, all the ho-ho of Schulich, Ivey, Rotman, Queens
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When it comes to the job--Does it really matter which business school you went to or it all depends on an individual; his experience etc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin

@heartlesssoul wrote
When it comes to the job--Does it really matter which business school you went to or it all depends on an individual; his experience etc

Both are important.

If you were hiring someone out of 2 possible people:
Person A with a Rotman degree, plenty of experience and other qualities
Person B with some community college degree with the same amount of experience and other qualities

Which one would you take?

However, a major difference in schools is if you are a top student and believe you are a prodigy, the school's reputation will matter considerably more since large firms are more likely to look for top students at the more prestigious schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@forthewinwin wrote

@heartlesssoul wrote

Both are important.

Person B with some community college degree with the same amount of experience and other qualities

However, a major difference in schools is if you are a top student and believe you are a prodigy, the school's reputation will matter considerably more since large firms are more likely to look for top students at the more prestigious schools.

So, can I switch to Rotman from Ted Rogers in second year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed

@forthewinwin wrote

@heartlesssoul wrote

Both are important.

I kind of agree. I think what matters more is the first impression. In your scenario, if Person A couldn't communicate as well as Person B, then Person B is more likely to get hired. It works both ways as well. If Person B had all of the qualifications but came to the interview dressed terribly, then they probably wouldn't get the job.

There are many variables that come into play when talking about recruitment but the degree doesn't matter as much as the opportunities that each school presents to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slowwy Slowwy

@dancecubed wrote

@forthewinwin wrote

@heartlesssoul wrote

Both are important.

I kind of agree. I think what matters more is the first impression. In your scenario, if Person A couldn't communicate as well as Person B, then Person B is more likely to get hired. It works both ways as well. If Person B had all of the qualifications but came to the interview dressed terribly, then they probably wouldn't get the job.

There are many variables that come into play when talking about recruitment but the degree doesn't matter as much as the opportunities that each school presents to you.

Well if you make that assumption then u can made tones of different scenrios.. I think the point of comparing this is to assume that Person A and Person B have the same skills and experience. However, when employers look at your resume and see where you graduated, they'll chose the one who graduated from a more prestiguous school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
I agree. Having everything else the same, a degree from a more prestigious school will likely make the difference.

In addition, business is all about making connections. Larger and top-tier schools will have better recruietment opportunities to offer its students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@FunnyBone wrote
I agree. Having everything else the same, a degree from a more prestigious school will likely make the difference.

n some cases, yes, but not always. Rarely will two people be the exact same. There will likely be a difference in where they worked, how they communicate themselves, etc. And there is definitely a difference between what was mentioned before (a degree from Rotman vs a degree from a community college) or a degree from Rotman vs a degree from Ryerson. I'm not saying there's no difference, but there is a difference between the two scenarios.

@FunnyBone wrote

In addition, business is all about making connections. Larger and top-tier schools will have better recruietment opportunities to offer its students.

Definitely. The degree isn't going to get you far- the opportunities that the degree presents you with will.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed

@g93 wrote

Definitely. The degree isn't going to get you far- the opportunities that the degree presents you with will. [/quote]

I absolutely agree. And each school presents you with different opportunities. Eg. Ryerson has provided me many opportunities for entrepreneurship which is why it's a perfect fit for me.

For accounting, Schulich may be your best bet. For finance, maybe Ivey. It's all dependent on what your passionate about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0