yconic - Will I get accepted in UofT?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I get accepted in UofT?

A photo of user123 user123
I'm in grade 12, and I am getting 80's and 90's in all my courses (including my predictions for 2nd semester), EXCEPT in advanced functions, where I got 59 (I know, I screwed up bad, but I never did any work or pay attention in that class, which I regret).
So I know that with all my top 6 courses (including English and Calculus), I will get around an 87 average. All 3 Uoft campuses (I applied for business management in Rotman and Mississauga and commerce in UTSC) say that advanced functions does NOT have to be in my top 6. So, should I retake advanced functions, or should I just forget it and focus on doing really well on my 4 courses next semester?
I also applied to Ryerson and York (not Schulich, just BA).

And recommendations please?
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Don't retake it if it's not a prereq
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Yea but they'll still be able to see the mark though since all the marks are sent, so I dunno... :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
We all have that one mark where we don't want our universities to see. Don't worry!

They only admit you by you top 6 U/M's, so they would have no reason to turn you down just because there is a low grade that is not in that top 6- they wouldn't be allowed to do that. All I know for U of T is that they begin to admit people during late February, March to April - so they will be able to see you midterm marks as well.
They are only allowed to judge your top 6, so focus on your next four courses, and good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of summergirl01 summergirl01
I would suggest you retake it and get at least a 80+. Don't do it if you don't think you can get 80+. The mark cut-offs are GUIDLINES, universities can choose not the follow them if they see something in your application that really make them doubt your capability. Since commerce has a lot to do with math (calculating consumer trends etc.), you are gonna want to keep your math marks up.

PS - to the previous poster who said unversities are not "allowed" to look beyond your top 6: universities ALWAYS make sure they have the power to accept whoever they like, which is why they never tell you exactly why your application is rejected. They want to make sure that they never set EXACT requirements of admission. They will always give you probabilities. So saying what universities are "allowed" to look at in your application is ridiculous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@summergirl01 wrote
PS - to the previous poster who said unversities are not "allowed" to look beyond your top 6: universities ALWAYS make sure they have the power to accept whoever they like, which is why they never tell you exactly why your application is rejected. They want to make sure that they never set EXACT requirements of admission. They will always give you probabilities. So saying what universities are "allowed" to look at in your application is ridiculous.

You can also quote me. :P

Not exactly true - and not "ridiculous" either - calm down, will you? :)

For admissions, yes, they are allowed to look at grade 11 marks and other grade 12 marks, that's why OUAC posts them. However, when universities make decisions, they are required to look at your top 6 marks, and not base their decisions on other marks. However, sometimes they do - that's why I said that your statement is not exactly true, because some of it is (explained in bottom paragraph). They do look at you other marks, but not when deciding for admissions. Read OUAC.

If they based their decisions on other marks, then why would they have top 6 marks in the first place? You see, those other marks help them decide whether they want to give enterance awards or not, as well as if that student should be given acceptance through EA- Early Admission. There, explained, happy? :D

Was this helpful? Yes 0

You really think they have the time to look at anything other than your top 6 though? Honestly, they pick a handful of people to review THOUSANDS of applications over 2-3 months. If there's no essay, I'm willing to bet a computer does most of the work. Yes, OUAC sends in all your grade 11 AND 12 marks, but the computer at whatever university just calculates the top 6 according to whatever program you're applying to. So your marks could be 99 99 99 99 99 99 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 and you'd get into anything you wanted to assuming none of those 50's are prereqs lulz.
Back to the point: don't retake it if it's not a prereq and if you don't have enough time. Calculus (imo) involves only basic functions so you don't need to relearn it. Just review it later on if you have to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@iliketurtles wrote
You really think they have the time to look at anything other than your top 6 though?

Couldn't have explained it better. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
You really think they have the time to look at anything other than your top 6 though? Honestly, they pick a handful of people to review THOUSANDS of applications over 2-3 months. If there's no essay, I'm willing to bet a computer does most of the work. Yes, OUAC sends in all your grade 11 AND 12 marks, but the computer at whatever university just calculates the top 6 according to whatever program you're applying to. So your marks could be 99 99 99 99 99 99 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 and you'd get into anything you wanted to assuming none of those 50's are prereqs lulz.
Back to the point: don't retake it if it's not a prereq and if you don't have enough time. Calculus (imo) involves only basic functions so you don't need to relearn it. Just review it later on if you have to.

Well yea, that's what I thought too, but people say that it does not have to be in your top 6, but they will still see the mark. And UofT doesn't like repeated courses. But a 59, that's crazy low. So I'm kinda stuck here, should I retake it? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well they can see it but they won't consider it. You know how people on this forum say that at U of T you are nothing more than a number? That applies to all applicants at all universities. Honestly the best thing would be to call them and ask if you're still unsure. Don't mention the 59 in that course, but say something like: "One of my grade 12 math courses which won't count towards my top 6 fall far below the rest of my marks. Although this mark does not affect my average used for admission, can and will it affect my chances for admission?"
Something like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0