yconic - Will I get anywhere with my grades?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I get anywhere with my grades?

A photo of Anhyee Anhyee
I just finished my final exams and I did a lot worse this semester than I thought.
I ended up with a 78% avg overall.
I'm planning to redo math this summer since I ended up with a low 63.
I'm aiming for an 81 or higher during the summer, which will get me up to an 81 average.

I'm planning to apply at Ottawa U, Carleton, and another school which is still undecided for Computer Science or Computer Engineering.

I know I will most likely not get a scholarship with that mark. But at this moment, just getting accepted is good enough for me.
Do you think it is possible or are my marks too low for early acceptance, or acceptance at all in general?
Thank you in advance, any personal experience or stories related are greatly appreciated!

91% Photography
88% Computer Tech
84% Religion
80% French
78% Chemistry
72% English
66% Physics
63% Functions and Relations

Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of Anhyee Anhyee
Sorry to clarify, I hope to end up with an 85% in math, giving me an 81% overall average after redo'ing math this summer.

When I was looking at Ottawa U and Carleton's requirement, they said a combined average of 70% of the math and sciences, so does that mean they don't look at my overall, but just those 3 courses? Or do they consider both?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Are these grade 11 marks? Or grade 12?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anhyee Anhyee
These are grade 11 marks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Your marks aren't high enough for early acceptance, in my opinion, especially in the courses that will be looked at (English, math and sciences). You're going to want to bring those all up to at least above 80% in grade 12 if you want to get into an engineering program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anhyee Anhyee
Is that the same if I were to go into Computer Science or Accounting?

Do you think it'll be wise to not redo math, and to take english reach-ahead, so I have less on my shoulders next year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You would probably want a grade 11 average in the 90s to get early acceptance and a grade 12 MINIMUM average of 80 for eventual acceptance into a CS or Accounting program.

I think it's kind of silly to re-do a grade 11 course unless you really think it will help you in grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anhyee Anhyee
Yea, I guess I should just teach myself the stuff that I had troubles with during the summer to be ready for next year. Thank you very much for the quick answers, they really helped a lot!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anhyee Anhyee
Now I'm planning to drop out of Chem and Physics next year, and take a class in computer coding instead. I am no longer interested in computer engineering since I don't believe I have the marks to achieve it. Dropping out of these two courses will lighten the weight on my back, but also give me the chance to take a course in computer coding.

Do you think that it's a wise decision to drop out of Chem and Physics?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Having no sciences is going to limit you from applying to a lot of programs (i.e sciences and engineering). So if you really know what you want to apply to in university, than go ahead, but personally I am a proponent of keeping your options open. You could always pick up computer coding on your own time, or if you do go into a university program that requires it, you will get taught it there (and they will start with the basics). Coding is something you pretty much have to learn by doing anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@Anhyee wrote
Now I'm planning to drop out of Chem and Physics next year, and take a class in computer coding instead. I am no longer interested in computer engineering since I don't believe I have the marks to achieve it. Dropping out of these two courses will lighten the weight on my back, but also give me the chance to take a course in computer coding.

Do you think that it's a wise decision to drop out of Chem and Physics?

Will you still have at least 6 Grade 12 courses after that? Then by all means, go ahead. If not, sign up for another course. And as for retaking MCR3U, unless you think it would really help you next year in Grade 12 Advanced Functions, I'd advise you not to. Believe it or not, the two courses are very similar. In fact, you'll do a full review on transformations of the functions you studied in Grade 11 Functions. And don't worry about stuff like Sequences and Series, Pascal's Triangle unless you're also taking Data Management. If it's the trigonometric problems that killed you in Functions (like solving for the triangles), you won't need to worry about that in Grade 12 either. Here are a list of functions you will come across in Grade 12 Advanced Functions:

[Stuff you've done (Linear, Quadratic, Square Root, Absolute Value, Exponential), Polynomial (of degrees 3,4 and maybe 5), Reciprocal/Rational, Trigonometric (sin, cos, tan, sec, csc, cot (you've done the first two)), Logarithmic, and a few Combinations (don't worry about this one, you'll use mostly graphing technology)].
Was this helpful? Yes 0