yconic - Will I get in, even though grade 11 marks suck! (Laurier) BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I get in, even though grade 11 marks suck! (Laurier) BBA

A photo of Nitrous Nitrous
Hey everyone! I will very quickly be entering my final year in high school and I wish to attend either Western BMOS program, Laurier BBA, or Mcmaster BComm program. So more or less I did awful in grade 11.I got 60 in functions :/ A bunch of mid seventies in Biology, American History, 81 % in Law and 75 in English. I know I messed up big time! I was dealing with a lot of stress last year( family issues/personal issues/). I will not be playing sports and am very dedicated to do well this year!

Laurier= High 80's
Mcmaster= Low-Mid 80's
Western= 80%

Can I still get into these Universities if I pull off mid- to High 80's! I know I can do it!

Thanks! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
Mcmaster you need like a low 80 to get in...so you can get into that.

Laurier's cutoff this year I heard was between 86-87. If you decide to continue to play sports you could make a strong ABS which will allow you to get in with a 83-84.

Western's BMOS program is possible to get in with low 80s...but I think it is not worth it without the AEO status <-- I really don't know too much about the BMOS program so you should ask other people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Laurier will be harder to get into than McMaster. I believe if you can pull of an 86 average including english and calculus, you will get into Laurier. As for BMOS, it's not a good program by itself, usually people are in BMOS to maintain 80% average for Ivey HBA program (The people who got accepted into AEO)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They don't really care about grade 11 marks so as long as you can pull of the grade 12 marks required you'll get in.

@Viking21 wrote
Laurier's cutoff this year I heard was between 86-87. If you decide to continue to play sports you could make a strong ABS which will allow you to get in with a 83-84. .

McMaster you should if you can pull off about an 82. 80-81 you've got a chance, and 84+ is looking solid for you :)

But to reiterate on Viking21's post, if you do get an 83-84 and DON'T get into Laurier BBA, they'll send you an alternate offer to honours economics, which is still a great program...if you like economics. From honours economics you can move up to BBA, but you need really good marks so don't get your hopes up there.

@Viking21 wrote
Western's BMOS program is possible to get in with low 80s...but I think it is not worth it without the AEO status <-- I really don't know too much about the BMOS program so you should ask other people

Yeah I agree with this. I'd choose McMaster or Laurier over BMOS. Remember that with BMOS you graduate with a Bachelor of Management and Organizational Studies. That is not the same as Bachelor of Commerce, or Bachelor of Business Administration.

Here's my list:
1. Laurier BBA
2. Laurier Honours Economics/McMaster Business 1*
3. Western BMOS

*this comes down to what you want to do. If you like economics and have a genuine interest in it, then perhaps you should choose that. Laurier's got a great economics program and co-op too which is nice. If you don't like economics, McMaster would be my second choice.

Hope this helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay thanks a lot! But do you know how much my terrible grade 11 grades will be taken into consideration? For example will Laurier not accept me because of my bad grade 11 grades?

I am taking in Grade 12:

Advanced Functions
Economics
Data Management
English
World Issues
World Issues
Religion
International Business
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It shouldn't influence their decision, no. If it re-assures you, you can always give them a call and they'll let you know (usually they're pretty helpful :)).

The only thing that will happen due to your grade 11 marks is that you probably won't get an early acceptance. More than likely they'll want to see your mid-term marks, but in the end you'll still get in (assuming your grade 12 marks are good enough).

Laurier's number is on their website so you could give them a call tomorrow :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Your Grade 11 marks will have absolutely no influence on your acceptance to Laurier BBA, or virtually any other program (specifically the ones you mentioned), other than for early admission, which is great but really doesn't matter in the long run.

If your Grade 11 marks suck, I would just be focused on making sure that Grade 12 is not a repeat.

As for the quality of the programs, I feel this was covered adequately.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
If your Grade 11 marks suck, I would just be focused on making sure that Grade 12 is not a repeat.

Well said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks Everyone! You were all incredibly helpful! I really wanna go to Laurier! So yeah I will just stay focused get awesome grades! But most importantly, thanks a lot it means a lot! :):cheers:

MY LAST QUESTION IS Do I have to take Calculus or would any of you recommend taking it for Laurier! Thanks again! :cheers:

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey

@g93 wrote
Your Grade 11 marks will have absolutely no influence on your acceptance to Laurier BBA, or virtually any other program (specifically the ones you mentioned), other than for early admission, which is great but really doesn't matter in the long run.

As for the quality of the programs, I feel this was covered adequately.

Great answer, Id love to add to it.

Since Laurier will take AF,Eng, and 4 other courses,(and you're taking 6 electives), it might be a good idea to switch out an elective for calculus. Its not because they like to see it, but because first year calc at Laurier is easy if you learned it in high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You do not have to take calculus!

Is it helpful? Of course, because it teaches some concepts are covered in first year (plus the algebra skills you gain are helpful).

Whether or not you want to take it is all up to you. It doesn't matter at all. Most will agree it's more difficult than data...remember you're grade 11 situation too, because you need to improve your grades.

EDIT: I hope you come to Laurier too! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
You will have to take one of Calculus or Data Management. I would say most people find data easier (at some schools it's considered a "bird course", while calculus and vectors gives some people headaches).

I would recommend taking calculus, and would also recommend taking data as well. They are quite different from each other. You will get to some of the stuff you did in data in your 2nd year stats course I believe. As for calculus, you will end up taking this in first year. If you did not take it in high school, you may struggle. The MA129 course at Laurier (the easiest of the calc courses) is essentially 1/2 AF, 1/4 Grade 12 calculus and 1/4 new stuff (such as integrals I would guess and matrices if you didn't get to them). If you took Grade 12 calc it is supposed to be an easy A but if you didn't you might struggle compared to some of your peers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@Nitrous wrote
Hey everyone! I will very quickly be entering my final year in high school and I wish to attend either Western BMOS program, Laurier BBA, or Mcmaster BComm program. So more or less I did awful in grade 11.I got 60 in functions :/ A bunch of mid seventies in Biology, American History, 81 % in Law and 75 in English. I know I messed up big time! I was dealing with a lot of stress last year( family issues/personal issues/). I will not be playing sports and am very dedicated to do well this year!

Laurier= High 80's
Mcmaster= Low-Mid 80's
Western= 80%

Can I still get into these Universities if I pull off mid- to High 80's! I know I can do it!

Thanks! :)

I had a low 60s average in grade 11, but that didn't stop me from getting into all programs of my choice. However, my final average in grade 12 was 92.3%, but it's definitely doable. Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
Laurier also has co-op...why don't you look at other business programs?

Try getting most of your prerequisites in your first semester

Unis will only look at your grade 11 marks if they don't have the prerequisite at the grade 12 level...this will only apply for early acceptance and invitation for the AFMAA (Waterloo).

Personally I think if you were to take prerequisites in first semester it will reduce stress. Especially for a subject like English.

I know a person who got into mcmaster's commerce with a 80 on the dot. I don't know anyone in the econ program at laurier...but everyone I know who is going to laurier for BBA has atleast a 88 average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Viking21
Yeah, my first semester is

World Issues, English, Economics, Spare Advanced Functions

So yeah I have 2 of 3 Prerequisites!
Was this helpful? Yes 0