yconic - Will I get In? UofT and Mac
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I get In? UofT and Mac

A photo of salimush salimush
K so i applied for psych (BSc) at both Uoft and McMaster last semester with a 94 avarage. I finished last semester with 98%, 90%, 91%, 92% and 90% no problem, But this semseter i have calculus and i know its only the third week into 2nd semester and i can change my mark around but i only have a 60% in calc. My other classes functions, chemisty i can pull off 90's no problem, French probably an 85% this semester but i just dont undestand calc. Anyways unfortunately for both Uoft and Mac English( which i had a 90% last semseter)and calc are a prerequisite. If not including calculas my avarage is a currently 93% but if Including Calc my avarage drops down to an 87%.

Uoft's admission avarage into Life sci is between 83-85% as stated in their website and mac as they stated are mid to high 80's. From what i've heard it is easier to get into UofT than Mac because they accept more students. But Anyways do i have a chance. I mean will they just know that i suck at calculus or will they just discard my application completely because life science is very competitive. Any answer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
You'll get into U of T for sure. The Mac life sci admission average is typically between 85-88 so you still have a chance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of donaldbelfon donaldbelfon
I’m not promising anything but from what I understand, you are accepted to any university based on your initial marks. Once accepted to a university, at least UofT, you are required to maintain a certain average but it normally does not raise above 85 according to my high school guidance counselor. You will likely hear from both universities before your final marks are submitted to OUAC!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenUofT kathleenUofT

@salimush wrote
K so i applied for psych (BSc) at both Uoft and McMaster last semester with a 94 avarage. I finished last semester with 98%, 90%, 91%, 92% and 90% no problem, But this semseter i have calculus and i know its only the third week into 2nd semester and i can change my mark around but i only have a 60% in calc. My other classes functions, chemisty i can pull off 90's no problem, French probably an 85% this semester but i just dont undestand calc. Anyways unfortunately for both Uoft and Mac English( which i had a 90% last semseter)and calc are a prerequisite. If not including calculas my avarage is a currently 93% but if Including Calc my avarage drops down to an 87%.

Uoft's admission avarage into Life sci is between 83-85% as stated in their website and mac as they stated are mid to high 80's. From what i've heard it is easier to get into UofT than Mac because they accept more students. But Anyways do i have a chance. I mean will they just know that i suck at calculus or will they just discard my application completely because life science is very competitive. Any answer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi There,
I am a third year student at the University of Toronto, and it sounds like you area hard working student who will excel in university! I really hope you do choose the University of Toronto to study, I love my experience here and I’m sure you will too!
I have not seen calculus as a prerequisite for the English program, I checked the website

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/academics/progs/english

If you are in fact choosing the program that I’ve posted here where calculus is NOT a prerequisite, then this will not be an issue. UofT will look at your top grade 12 U/M courses, and you should receive an offer of admissions no problem! If you have any doubts please contact the awards and admissions office :

http://www.adm.utoronto.ca/adm-awards/html/awards/mainawdpage.htm

Keep up the great work! Hope to see you at UofT next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Calc is not even a prereq for Life Sciences @ Mac so don't worry, you'll get in :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of salimush salimush
ENG4U
One of: MHF4U, MCV4U
SBI4U
One of: MHF4U, MCV4U, SCH4U, SPH4U
Note: Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) is recommended

Now, I thought if calculus was recommended they would take that over either chemistry or physics. Right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lisakyl lisakyl
From what I understand, as long as you have Functions (which you obviously do because you have calculus) they will take your Functions over your calculus mark for a pre-req. After that, I don't think they will consider your calc mark if its lower than the rest of your courses. The recommended course is so you're better off for your 1st year course(s).
Basically, they will take your top 6 MHF4U, Chemistry, SBI4U, English and 3 other courses according to %.
Was this helpful? Yes 0