yconic - Will i get in WAterloo!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will i get in WAterloo!

A photo of masood104 masood104
I am looking at the AFM program at Waterloo or the Math/CA, and become a CA through either of those programs. I am in high school going into grade 12. I no in Accounting i can get 90%+, in Advanced Functions I can get 90%+, along with data managment, and calculus. But my english mark will be low.. i am getting a 65 in grade 11, but i know i can do far better. Does waterloo pay alot of attention to English? even though the rest of my marks will be good?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Uzi3 Uzi3

@masood104 wrote
I am looking at the AFM program at Waterloo or the Math/CA, and become a CA through either of those programs. I am in high school going into grade 12. I no in Accounting i can get 90%+, in Advanced Functions I can get 90%+, along with data managment, and calculus. But my english mark will be low.. i am getting a 65 in grade 11, but i know i can do far better. Does waterloo pay alot of attention to English? even though the rest of my marks will be good?!

Yes,
They do look at Gr 11 English. My advice, go to Summer school and bump it for a couple weeks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
They only look at grade 11 marks for early acceptance, but grade 12 English WILL be important.

Grade 12 English is a prerequisite for pretty much all university programs and your average is calculated using your top 6 marks including prerequisites. So a low english mark will affect your average for any program you apply for.

Try your best to bring up that mark this year and good luck with admissions :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ricbea0078 ricbea0078
I couldn't tell you, but my advice is that you do much better in English 12, this way you'll increase the chance of being accepeted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Waterloo AFM: If you have Grade 12 English in second semester, they will use your Grade 11 English mark when calculating your marks for admission to the AFMAA (minimum 75 in English). So unfortunately, you will not get an invite and no offer as a result :(

Ontario High School System

New 2011 requirements:

•minimum low to mid-80s overall average
•Required:
◦4U English with a final grade of at least 75%
◦5 additional 4U or 4M courses
◦Completion of the Accounting and Financial Management Admissions Assignment (AFMAA)
◦Grade 12U Advanced Functions
◦Grade 12U Calculus and Vectors
•Recommended:
◦Data Management
◦Accounting

[quote]Accounting and Financial Management Admissions Assessment (AFMAA). Note that in some cases invitations to write the AFMAA may be based on Grade 11 marks.[/quote]
Was this helpful? Yes 0