yconic - Will I make it next year?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will I make it next year?

A photo of CalliePaascheton CalliePaascheton
I want to apply for IVEY /Queens Commerce / Rotman Next year, and I know they're all really hard so do u guys think i should just give up now?

So heres my situation:
Gr11 Average: 86%.
Took a gr12M course in gr11: 91%
Functions Gr11: 81% (It went from a 69 in gr10 to a 81 in gr11, and I'll work hard next year I guess.)
Currently taking Gr12 eng in summer school: midterm came out today, 85%.

ECs:
I did a co-op program in a law office in gr11,
I've been volunteer work in a seniors home since gr9,
Part time job at a flower shop for a year
executive for a school club.
member of the ESP, (to promote school safety by working with Police)
Elected to be on an executive for Student Council next year. (I heard Student Councils are pretty important...) 
...I draw, but then its not like music where I can take an exam to show get a certificate but its on a competitive level. But i guess that doesnt count.

What i'm taking next year:
3 math
2 english (one i'm doing rite now in summer school)
1 enriched art
1 Philosophy
1 History
Yea i'll really appreciate some suggestions, and if i cant make it to my 3 choices, do u guys have any suggestions for me? THANK YOU!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Pull your marks up a little bit and if you can sell yourself on your applications I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted to all your choices.

You may also want to consider schulich, mcgill desautels, UBC sauder, Laurier BBA, and McMaster Degroote.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator
There should be no such thing as giving up. Work your butt off, and you'll go far
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@immaculatedx wrote
Pull your marks up a little bit and if you can sell yourself on your applications I don't see why you wouldn't be accepted to all your choices.

Agreed. Focus on getting your average above a 90% for grade 12 and you should have as good a chance as anyone else. Also, it might be a bit late for this now, but it would definitely be an asset for you to have some business related internship/co-op/ECs. I know they're pretty hard to get as a high school student, but being able to discuss your experience in the "business world" can only help for supplementary applications/essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
What was the grade 12 M course you finished?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

You may also want to consider schulich, mcgill desautels, UBC sauder, Laurier BBA, and McMaster Degroote.

Yea i know I should pull my marks off, but in class the teachers said “ and if you want to go from a 80% to a 90%, well...as a teacher we're not suppose to discourage students, but you better hope that miracles exists."
So i felt a little discouraged, and I go to a really competitive high school, (which I know is no excuse) but its always harder to get from a 80% to a 90% than from a 70% to a 80%, and i'm HOPING that my teachers are just trying to scare me and that it IS possible? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@superstar2011 wrote
What was the grade 12 M course you finished?

It was HHS4M - Individuals and Families in a Diverse Society

Prerequisite: Any university, university/college, or college preparation course in Social Sciences and Humanities, English, or Canadian and World Studies
Curriculum Policy Document: Social Science and Humanities
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ozinator wrote
There should be no such thing as giving up. Work your butt off, and you'll go far

what i mean is, realistically speaking, do you think i can do it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cherrypie725 wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

Agreed. Focus on getting your average above a 90% for grade 12 and you should have as good a chance as anyone else. Also, it might be a bit late for this now, but it would definitely be an asset for you to have some business related internship/co-op/ECs. I know they're pretty hard to get as a high school student, but being able to discuss your experience in the "business world" can only help for supplementary applications/essays.

I had a Co-op in a law office. He said he will write me a reference too. *sigh* it wont be much help to me would it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@CalliePaascheton wrote
I had a Co-op in a law office. He said he will write me a reference too. *sigh* it wont be much help to me would it?

I would say that it's certainly better than nothing. Especially since you can use that on your resume if you want to apply for any other business internships/co-op placements. And having a good reference is always helpful :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Grade 12 is really hard to predict, in my opinion.
I know some people who struggled and got 80s in grade 11 maths and subsequently got 90s in grade 12.
I know some people who did amazing and got 90s in grade 11 maths and subsequently got 80s in grade 12.

Just work hard.
If you maintain your current average of 86% it is doubtful you will get into any of the universities you want to get into.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ozinator Ozinator

@CalliePaascheton wrote

@Ozinator wrote

Yes. I do. Dont maintin your current 86% however, reach for a higher 90, strive for a 95. but anywhere in low 90's is a safe bet for all your choices. Make sure your essay writing is convincing as well. Try to sell yourself as best as possible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Daruki35 wrote
Grade 12 is really hard to predict, in my opinion.
I know some people who struggled and got 80s in grade 11 maths and subsequently got 90s in grade 12.
I know some people who did amazing and got 90s in grade 11 maths and subsequently got 80s in grade 12.

Just work hard.
If you maintain your current average of 86% it is doubtful you will get into any of the universities you want to get into.

Hmm yea okay i'll work super hard next year. :D I'm just wondering if its really that hard to pull a 4% increase in terms of averages...all the math teachers are saying its impossible..
Yes I know people tell me 86% is not bad its average but I have no idea what I can do with it at all! It seems like everything needs a 90% average at least, and I have no science course at all so my choices seem really limited..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ozinator wrote

@CalliePaascheton wrote

@Ozinator wrote

Yes. I do. Dont maintin your current 86% however, reach for a higher 90, strive for a 95. but anywhere in low 90's is a safe bet for all your choices. Make sure your essay writing is convincing as well. Try to sell yourself as best as possible.

Okay thank you. :D I don't mind if its hard but I hope its not like, impossible to pull 4% up in my average, that's all. :)

And my essay writing, what do you mean sell myself? :O
I have nothing to do for the month of august should I start writing it already?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@CalliePaascheton wrote

@Ozinator wrote

@CalliePaascheton wrote

@Ozinator wrote

Okay thank you. :D I don't mind if its hard but I hope its not like, impossible to pull 4% up in my average, that's all. :)

And my essay writing, what do you mean sell myself? :O
I have nothing to do for the month of august should I start writing it already?

All courses start fresh, so it will never be "impossible" to pull your average up to 90%. Then again, it can be tough and discouraging at times, depending on how things may go. This is why you cannot predict future marks. But above all, just don't give up. You can do it.

I think by "sell yourself", Ozinator meant show your best, polished essays forward as if you're releasing your essay to a "market of essays". For the month of August you may find it ideal to read different essays on different topics and themes, and analyze what is good and what is not so good about them. If you like their essays, you could supposedly practice to adapt their style (although there's no guarantee your teacher will like that writing style). Look for content, structure, style and wording, as well as how the writer makes use of rhetorical devices and catch phrases.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
I had a 47 average in Grade 10, I didn't even think I was going to get into college. Work harder my dear.
Was this helpful? Yes 0