yconic - Will it be more difficult to become a CA with a BA in Economics? what if i go for masters?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will it be more difficult to become a CA with a BA in Economics? what if i go for masters?

A photo of universityapplier universityapplier
I meant in the eyes of an employer, do they look at BBA or Bcomm over BA? im taking BA in Economics at Laurier and was wondering if there would be any "discrimination" when i apply for coop or if i dont get coop and i go apply for an internship with firms. What if my GPA is good?

would they take a BA student who gotta GPA of 10.5/12 over a BBA with 10/12?

ALSO, what if I go for my masters after would that help my chances?

feel free to give me any career advice/experiences you have gone through or have heard of
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Not really. You will have an equal chance at co-op at Laurier. From there, you are essentially on level playing field.

There are many people in Economics programs who become CAs. Sell yourself in your interviews and there's no reason they should care that you are in economics and not a BBA or BComm.

And really, at worst let's just say they put someone with a 10.5 in Economics at Laurier as equal with someone with a 10.0 in BBA at Laurier. Is that THAT bad?

I can't answer you about the Masters, but as long as you get through undergrad and become a CA, you being in an economics program will become even less relevant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SDHN SDHN

@g93 wrote
Not really. You will have an equal chance at co-op at Laurier. From there, you are essentially on level playing field.

There are many people in Economics programs who become CAs. Sell yourself in your interviews and there's no reason they should care that you are in economics and not a BBA or BComm.

And really, at worst let's just say they put someone with a 10.5 in Economics at Laurier as equal with someone with a 10.0 in BBA at Laurier. Is that THAT bad?

I can't answer you about the Masters, but as long as you get through undergrad and become a CA, you being in an economics program will become even less relevant.

How hard is interning with CA firms if a person is doing an undergrad program in sciences? Do the firms just prefer people who are in the accounting programs? When these firms come for campus recruitment, do they only interview people in the accounting programs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gymmonkey Gymmonkey

@universityapplier wrote
I meant in the eyes of an employer, do they look at BBA or Bcomm over BA? im taking BA in Economics at Laurier and was wondering if there would be any "discrimination" when i apply for coop or if i dont get coop and i go apply for an internship with firms. What if my GPA is good?

would they take a BA student who gotta GPA of 10.5/12 over a BBA with 10/12?

ALSO, what if I go for my masters after would that help my chances?

feel free to give me any career advice/experiences you have gone through or have heard of

There is no discrimination, I have answered this question twice for you already. Get a good gpa and get involved at school. I know people who got co op placements from economics at Gluskin Sheff competing with BBAs at similar grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0