yconic - Will med school look at your program or school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will med school look at your program or school?

A photo of Krista Cow Chau Krista Cow Chau
Hi!

When applying for med school, I was just wondering whether they looked at my undergrad program or the school from which I graduated from?
If I go to a school that isn't so great in the sciences, will that affect my chances of getting in?
I also heard that med schools prefer biomed or health sciences over life sciences because they believe life sciences is too general.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
>< Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of hippoo hippoo

@Krista Cow Chau wrote
Hi!

When applying for med school, I was just wondering whether they looked at my undergrad program or the school from which I graduated from?
If I go to a school that isn't so great in the sciences, will that affect my chances of getting in?
I also heard that med schools prefer biomed or health sciences over life sciences because they believe life sciences is too general.

>< Thanks!

Hi there,
From my experience with Canadian applications, I don't think any school really cares much about your undergrad program/school, in terms of quantifying your score for admissions. The most important thing is what marks you got from your program. Having said that, I think it's important to validate why you chose the program you did, and how your studies have you led to pursue medicine.
As for the school, if you think about it, there isn't really a fair or equitable way the admissions committees can, or should, differentiate between schools.
And even less so, I don't think there's any difference between studying biomed, health or life sciences, from their perspective. Choose what you think is more interesting!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MedSchoolDream MedSchoolDream
Medical schools will only assess YOU, not your program or institution.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw

@MedSchoolDream wrote
Medical schools will only assess YOU, not your program or institution.

+1 med school really dont care what university or program you come from, they look at your marks and EC's
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DJPINKY101 DJPINKY101
No, They look at your GPA and your MCAT marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DJPINKY101 DJPINKY101
No, They look at your GPA and your MCAT marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ammolite ammolite
they look at your:
1)GPA (accounts around 15-20% of the application)
2)MCAT
3)References (accounts for 10-15% of the application)
4)extra curriculum activities (accounts for 30-40% of your application)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rebecca-afford rebecca-afford
You probably will have to do an interview with a panel. They look for well rounded people. Choosing a school for your pre-medical undergrad is important for you to determine where you believe you will get the best experience and gain the knowledge you will need for med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
No, GPA, GPA, and once again GPA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of neuropsy neuropsy

@Qq wrote
No, GPA, GPA, and once again GPA

It's not ALL about GPA, they want substance .. well-roundedness.

-
And there is no preference given to an individual studying health science, biomed, or life science.
You can get in studying art for all they care, as long as you have necessary prereq's, a solid MCAT score, some worthwhile experiences volunteering, and perform well in the interview.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Melissa313 Melissa313

@Krista Cow Chau wrote
Hi!

>< Thanks!

Hi,

I don't think they look at the school you graduated from. The program doesn't matter as much as long as you have the basics. This would include 2 biology courses with labs, 2 organic chemistry courses with labs, 2 inorganic chemistry courses with labs, 2 physics courses with labs, 2 math courses, and 2 english courses.The unique your program is the better because medical schools look for people with various types of knowledge.If you go to a medical school fair they will tell you this. Remember do a lot of volunteer hours, have a high GPA and score high on your MCAT and then you will have a greate chance of getting into medical school.

Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bobbyn4360 bobbyn4360
I heard that if you participate in a co-op program, faculties of medicine look highly on that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ang33 ang33

@bobbyn4360 wrote
I heard that if you participate in a co-op program, faculties of medicine look highly on that.

any specific co-op programs? ... how do we get into one of those? anybody know of any in manitoba?
Was this helpful? Yes 0