yconic - Will Queens Pick me?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Will Queens Pick me?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey everyone,

I know everyone is getting annoyed of these types of threads, but I just wanted to see if you guys believe I can get into Queens Commerce.

Grade 11 Marks:

Math: 85
Biology: 87
Religion: 86

Grade 12 Marks:

Functions: 88
English: 90
Biology: 90

As for EC's:
-Creator and Cheif-Editor of Newspaper Committee
-Student Council Executive
-Senior Member of Social Justice
-Drama: Light Effects Crew Head
-Core Leader for Leadership Camp

Since the PSE ask's for it, I have 650+ hours at Customer Service at Staples this past year.
My essay was very well written if I may add. (Ill post it in another thread if anyone wants to compare)

Do you think I can get in? Im near the edge of the 87 edge.

Also, I do aim on pursuing the CA designation.
I'm not attending Queens, but applied just to get in to feel proud.

Is Carleton or OttawaU better for my CA designation? They both have the 51-hour requirement, but which has the competitive edge?

Thanks guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I would say you are competitive, but as you said your marks are close to the cutoff. Hard to say really, but I don't see why not.

And I would say Carleton
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
I've been hearing mixed answers about the cut-off. The Queen's representative at my school told me that once you're over 87, then the only thing that would determine an admission is your supplementary essay and PSE.

However, some people have told me that they still look at average. Regardless, I'd say you're a competitive applicant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
Carleton and Ottawa are not ICAO accredited schools (from what I can tell on the CA website), so I dont think going to either of those schools will do you much good if becoming a CA is what you want to do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo

@Subtle wrote
I've been hearing mixed answers about the cut-off. The Queen's representative at my school told me that once you're over 87, then the only thing that would determine an admission is your supplementary essay and PSE.

However, some people have told me that they still look at average. Regardless, I'd say you're a competitive applicant.

The "we only look at PSE's after ___%" is bullshit :P If that's true then how come all the kids with 95+ just got accepted and all the people I know with cutoff averages and amazing ECs are still waiting? -.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Doorhandle wrote
Carleton and Ottawa are not ICAO accredited schools (from what I can tell on the CA website), so I dont think going to either of those schools will do you much good if becoming a CA is what you want to do.

They still have the ICAO-required 51 credit-hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@g93 wrote

@Doorhandle wrote

Whats the difference being ICAO accredited and meeting the 51-hour requirement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@iKam22 wrote
Hey everyone,

I know everyone is getting annoyed of these types of threads, but I just wanted to see if you guys believe I can get into Queens Commerce.

Grade 11 Marks:

Math: 85
Biology: 87
Religion: 86

Grade 12 Marks:

Functions: 88
English: 90
Biology: 90

As for EC's:
-Creator and Cheif-Editor of Newspaper Committee
-Student Council Executive
-Senior Member of Social Justice
-Drama: Light Effects Crew Head
-Core Leader for Leadership Camp

Since the PSE ask's for it, I have 650+ hours at Customer Service at Staples this past year.
My essay was very well written if I may add. (Ill post it in another thread if anyone wants to compare)

Do you think I can get in? Im near the edge of the 87 edge.

Also, I do aim on pursuing the CA designation.
I'm not attending Queens, but applied just to get in to feel proud.

Is Carleton or OttawaU better for my CA designation? They both have the 51-hour requirement, but which has the competitive edge?

Thanks guys.

Why do you have only 3 grade 11 and 12 courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@iKam22 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Doorhandle wrote

"Accredited Programs
Students completing their CA requirements through an Institute-accredited program/stream do not have to worry about counting courses to complete the ICAO's 51 credit-hour requirement."

And you only need a cumulative GPA of 7.0/B- in the program (or the courses in the accounting stream, depends on school), compared to a GPA of 7.0/B- in each of the required courses.

If you are at a school that is not fully-accredited but still has the 51 credit-hours, you need to make sure that you are taking the right courses to give you the 51 credit-hours.

And, in general, the fully-accredited schools are the better programs (Waterloo, UTSG, UTM, Laurier, Brock, Ivey, Schulich, McMaster)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeafsFan16 LeafsFan16
If you get into Queen's, GO! I don't even understand how you can fathom going to Carleton or OttawaU over Queen's...unless of course it's because of tuition/money. If that's the case then I apologize, otherwise you're missing out on a fantastic opportunity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@heesoup wrote

Why do you have only 3 grade 11 and 12 courses?

LOL good question.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@LeafsFan16 wrote
If you get into Queen's, GO! I don't even understand how you can fathom going to Carleton or OttawaU over Queen's...unless of course it's because of tuition/money. If that's the case then I apologize, otherwise you're missing out on a fantastic opportunity.

This x 1000 (and then some).

Queen's is clearly the best choice out of those three, heck it's one of the best choices in Canada. They are tied with Schulich for the highest UFE pass rates (even greater than accounting programs like Waterloo and Brock) and recruitment is great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@LeafsFan16 wrote

This x 1000 (and then some).

Queen's is clearly the best choice out of those three, heck it's one of the best choices in Canada. They are tied with Schulich for the highest UFE pass rates (even greater than accounting programs like Waterloo and Brock) and recruitment is great.

His parents only want him to go to school in Ottawa... so he's hoping he can eventually go to Queen's for his MBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@g93 wrote
His parents only want him to go to school in Ottawa... so he's hoping he can eventually go to Queen's for his MBA.

Doesn't say that anywhere? He says he only applied to "feel proud" so I suggest he actually consider it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@IanSharer wrote

@g93 wrote

Doesn't say that anywhere? He says he only applied to "feel proud" so I suggest he actually consider it.

He has PMed me a few times to ask questions. Awhile back he said he could only go to Ottawa, then he said if he gets in Queen's maybe, now it is only Ottawa agian.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle

@g93 wrote

@iKam22 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Doorhandle wrote

"Accredited Programs
Students completing their CA requirements through an Institute-accredited program/stream do not have to worry about counting courses to complete the ICAO's 51 credit-hour requirement."

And you only need a cumulative GPA of 7.0/B- in the program (or the courses in the accounting stream, depends on school), compared to a GPA of 7.0/B- in each of the required courses.

If you are at a school that is not fully-accredited but still has the 51 credit-hours, you need to make sure that you are taking the right courses to give you the 51 credit-hours.

And, in general, the fully-accredited schools are the better programs (Waterloo, UTSG, UTM, Laurier, Brock, Ivey, Schulich, McMaster)

Useful to know, thanks for that. I actually figured that the only programs you could go into to become a CA were the ones listed on the CA website (I wonder why I got that idea). Kind of deceiving really.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ Yep, even the schools that don't have all of the 51 credit-hours, you can take courses at other schools to fulfill your requirements, or possibly go through the MMPA program at UofT. But this option is definitely a lot more work and just not really worth it.

But if you go to one that's not fully-accredited and still has the 51 credit-hours, there's not a big difference and can be done without much hassle.

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/QualificationProcess/ScheduleofUniversityCoursesforInstituteCredit/1014page1184.aspx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted