yconic - will rotman take someone with an 84 avg?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

will rotman take someone with an 84 avg?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
K, so I've really been stressing out for the past two months because I really want to make it into Rotman or UTSC management. My avg is pretty low for their standards, but I'm still holding onto that last glimpse of hope that they'll accept me. I've alredy been accepted to Ryerson for their BCOMM, but all the snobby kids on this site keep talking so much trash about the school. What are your views on Ryersons business program, and do you think I'll make the cut for UOFT or UTSC?

P.S I'm not really a slacker, so I don't need people telling me that what I put into the school is what I'm going to get back. K. Thanks. Bye
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of g93 g93
How good are your ECs? And is it the PSE (?) how good do you feel it was?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

By PSE, do you mean the supplementaries? I had my supps proof read by guidance counsellors and my EC'S are pretty solid: all leadership roles.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade
Mhmmmm if your supplementaries were outstanding then maybe... but chances don't seem too good.. you'll probably get pre-program for UTSC though

But yeah, a lot of people talk trash about Ryerson , we specifically talked loads of it to them during DECA provincials haha.. but they aren't as bad as some people think, they kicked some as.s!

But some of the kids werent in business, but im pretty sure most of them were. You will be fine if you do end up going there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Chances... Maybe... You're slightly below the cutoff last year but this year may be different.

As for Ryerson, it really depends what you want to do with your business degree. If you just want to major in accounting and become an accountant you'll be fine really. But if you want to work on Wall Street for some big financial firm, then your networking might be an issue since many of those firms don't recruit there. If you're aiming for the latter, Rotman (and Queen's, Ivey, Desautels, Schulich) will be to your advantage. Keep in mind that you need a very good GPA for a good grad school though, Rotman Commerce is very difficult.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

84 wont get you into Rotman, last year average was 89.7% even then I remember my friends with 90s being refused in may.

http://cudo.utoronto.ca/2010/index.php
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@matt2014 wrote
84 wont get you into Rotman, last year average was 89.7% even then I remember my friends with 90s being refused in may.

Cool story bro, but if you check the stats out, they take about 4 or 5% of people in the 80-84% range. So I calculated that to be a bout 36 people. There's still a chance for me, so no need for fear mongering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jagseer Jagseer
honestly, i highly doubt it, like others said, last years cutoff was pretty high, and this years is supposed to be higher.

And im not to familiar with ryerson, but dont listen to trash talkers, just do whats best for urself
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses

@arcchit wrote
K, so I've really been stressing out for the past two months because I really want to make it into Rotman or UTSC management. My avg is pretty low for their standards, but I'm still holding onto that last glimpse of hope that they'll accept me. I've alredy been accepted to Ryerson for their BCOMM, but all the snobby kids on this site keep talking so much trash about the school. What are your views on Ryersons business program, and do you think I'll make the cut for UOFT or UTSC?

P.S I'm not really a slacker, so I don't need people telling me that what I put into the school is what I'm going to get back. K. Thanks. Bye

I think you can get in for UTM no coop. For coop, the cutoff is around 87%. Just step it up and boost your mark up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@arcchit wrote

@matt2014 wrote

Cool story bro, but if you check the stats out, they take about 4 or 5% of people in the 80-84% range. So I calculated that to be a bout 36 people. There's still a chance for me, so no need for fear mongering.

This is from the link I posted:

"The following tables show the percentage of full-time, first year students by average range and program. Averages are based on final grades for Grade 12 university destination courses."

People let their average drop once they got accepted between 80-84. Im telling you the cutoff is usually between 88-90.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Bossofbosses wrote

@arcchit wrote

I think you can get in for UTM no coop. For coop, the cutoff is around 87%. Just step it up and boost your mark up.

you mean UTSC, UTM does not have coop.

cutoff for coop last year was high too, I think a percent below Rotman. UTMs was higher than normal aswell. something around 85-86
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of nora93 nora93
I know how you feel, trust me. I'm in the same position as you.
My avg is 88 right now, but its going to be at around a 90 when April marks get sent into uni's. I'm wondering if I even have a chance, my calc/eng marks are at around an 85-87, and my ECs are pretty good (over 600 hours of community service). What do you guys think? do i stand a chance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
http://forums.studentawards.com/yaf_postst25761_Rotman-Commerce-Cutoff.aspx

Someone with 86 got in last year. And what's the source for a higher cutoff this year? I highly doubt an 84 will get you in, but if you bump it up a tiny bit you're good to go. Good luck bro.
Was this helpful? Yes 0