yconic - [WIP]Slightly Comprehensive Information for Ivey/Queen's/McGill/Schulich/UTRotman/Laurier
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

[WIP]Slightly Comprehensive Information for Ivey/Queen's/McGill/Schulich/UTRotman/Laurier

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
With the advent of all these biased opinions on "which school is better" I thought I'd do this community a favour and compile a "profile" for each school.
I will list facts, opinions will be marked with a *.

University of Western Ontario - Richard Ivey School of Business

Program information:
- Offers the HBA (Honours Business Administration) degree, length of degree is two years (HBA 1, HBA 2)
- Offers the AEO (Advanced Entry Opportunity) program, guarantees a spot in HBA1 for all AEO status holders who have:
& 80% cumulative average in the first two years of university (AEO1, AEO2)
& maintained extra curricular involvement in their first two years
& must get 70%+ in Business 2257
- Required to take 15.0 courses (12.0 credits) in your HBA1, HBA2 years
- Class size is increasing to 600 (or 650) students
- Applicants in 2010 ~2000 for AEO status
- Competitive average is 90%+ with decent extracurriculars (50% marks, 50% ECs weighting)
- Tuition cost is $45 000 for the two HBA years ($22 500ish yearly)
- Ivey provides ~ $5500 bursaries for financial aid
- Ivey uses the case study method, writes second most cases in the world

Placement Reports:
- Average Compensation: $61,099
- Percent Placed: 92%
Ivey HBA 2009-2010 Permanent Placement Report
Ivey HBA 2009-2010 Summer Placement Report

*Personal Notes:
- One of the largest alumni networks in Canada
- Has a terrific recruitment program in place
- Places well on Bay Street
- Allows for many double degree programs ( e.g. HBA+Law, HBA+Econ, HBA+Comp Sci)
- First round 2011 was March 30

Queen's University - Commerce

Program Information:
- Offers the B. Comm degree, degree is high-school entry (4 years)
- Application minimum is 87%, with completion of the PSE (Personal Statement of Experience). PSE General contains 1 essay, Commerce requires an additional 2 essays.
- Requires a pass for continuation in the program (no mark below 50%)
- Grades are curved towards middle-high 70s
- Class size is 450 (2011), approximately 4500 applicants yearly
- * Apparently admissions works on this basis
& 87% cutoff for consideration
& Marks above 87% are considered equally? based on PSE to a degree
& PSEs are graded independently of grades
- Tuition cost is approximately $13 000/ yearly
- 80% of students are involved in student foreign exchange programs
- Will do 4.5 credits of Arts&Science Courses in addition to Commerce courses
- Uses a combination of traditional lectures and case studies for teaching

Placement Reports:
- Average Compensation: $53 190 + bonuses
- Percent Placed: 93%
Queen's Commerce 2010 Placement Report

*Personal Notes:
- Great recruitment and placement on Bay Street
- Well known brand in Canada
- Allows for international expertise through exchange programs (strongest commerce exchange program in Canada)
- Kind of confusing admissions process

McGill University - Desautels Faculty of Management

Program Information:
- Offers the B. Comm degree, degree is high-school entry (4 years)
- Application cutoff runs around ~91%
- Requires a C or above in all non-elective classes (55%)
- Can choose to do two majors and a minor elective
- 35% of the class are internationals
- Majors are declared beginning in second year
- Accepts ~550 students yearly
- Tuition cost is approximately $5500/ yearly for out of province students
- Uses a combination of traditional lectures and case studies for teaching

Placement Reports:
- Average Compensation: $46 500 + bonuses
- Percent Placed: N/A
Desautels BComm 2010 Placement Report

*Personal Notes:
- Great campus, lot's of bars around McGill ;))
- A bit lower in the compensation range
- Consistently high admissions cut off
- Lower tuition than Ivey/Queen's
- Desautels name and McGill university name quite known in the US
- Places similar to Ivey/Queen's with US BBs
- Allows for international expertise through exchange programs
- Francophone city :/

[WORK IN PROGRESS, will be updating slowly as my time will allow :P I'll try to do one a day minimum]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
40 replies

A photo of Wendy_D Wendy_D
... Or we could just go to their websites?

Don't do too much work...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
^ He did that much work and so the least you should say is thanks or if it didn't matter to you not reply at all. He's trying to have a good topic starting which usually doesn't happen on this forum, so let it be.

Good overall info @seren
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninaaftermath ninaaftermath

@CityBoy wrote
^ He did that much work and so the least you should say is thanks or if it didn't matter to you not reply at all. He's trying to have a good topic starting which usually doesn't happen on this forum, so let it be.

Good overall info @seren

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asian123 asian123
Great thread! Im sure that it will help a LOT of ppl. and enjoy ur dinner!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@asian123 wrote
Great thread! Im sure that it will help a LOT of ppl. and enjoy ur dinner!

+ 1

How long does dinner take? I'm waiting to see the rest :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
:bounce: Waiting for more!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
what did you have for dinner
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
Updated for Queen's Commerce, I'll finish Rotman/Laurier tonight or tomorrow.

Please feel free to pm me with any changes you think are necessary and I'll make a call on it.

Thanks for the support! Hopefully this will give future students an easy place to start when considering schools.

EDIT: Had a great dinner, went out for all you can eat sushi ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Where do you think you are heading to next year, Serendipity?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illusive illusive
LOL @ Wendy_D being an ungrateful, pretentious idiot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Hmm, the double degree at Ivey, if I want to do HBA + Comp Sci, could I do it without taking any computer science courses in high school?

Right now, I didn't take any science or programming - just Computer engineering.

If I am right, do you choose the comp sci once you are IN Ivey right? Please respond.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote
Hmm, the double degree at Ivey, if I want to do HBA + Comp Sci, could I do it without taking any computer science courses in high school?

Right now, I didn't take any science or programming - just Computer engineering.

If I am right, do you choose the comp sci once you are IN Ivey right? Please respond.

No, you apply to the Comp Sci program and AEO

You need the prerequisites and marks for Comp Sci (or BMOS, engineering, etc), and you need to be good enough to get AEO

Then you go through Comp Sci, and after two years if you are above 80 and have kept up your ECs then you get into Ivey. I don't know exactly how it works with Ivey and Comp Sci at the same time though. Couldn't tell you that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Oh wow, so I cannot do a double degree unless I apply to that program first? Jeeeeeeezz...

What if I get into JUST ivey? and i really want to do software eng. for the first time in the first 2 years..?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote
Oh wow, so I cannot do a double degree unless I apply to that program first? Jeeeeeeezz...

What if I get into JUST ivey? and i really want to do software eng. for the first time in the first 2 years..?

You have to apply to a program at Western to get AEO.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^ I know. But I have my mind set on business.

I also want to do something on the side, like comp. sci.

So I apply to business but cant get comp sci, but if I apply to comp sci I get business? Man that's sooo unfair. Dammmmmmmnn!!!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deca4life deca4life
You can apply to any program for your first 2 years, in your case computer science. You apply for AEO status at the same time. After you do your first 2 years, if you meet the progression requirements, you'll be admitted into the first year of Ivey HBA. In the third year you can apply for the double degree (if your double degree is possible). Admission to double degrees is usually limited. In your 4th and 5th years, half of your classes will be Ivey classes, the other half will be to meet the requirements of your computer science degree. In the event that the university doesn't authorize you to carry out that plan, you would most probably do Ivey in year 3 and 4. In year 5, you can finish off your computer science degree.

If I made an error anywhere, feel free to correct me.

http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba/program-road-map/dual-degree.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
Do McGill next!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Wazzup, no matter the case, you never apply to just Ivey AEO straight from highschool - most people choose BMOS because its a business/management program ... but imo its really crappy/crappy and there are better things you could do with your time.

Some people realize this and choose something of their interest or something they think will be a good compliment to their Ivey HBA. I almost chose computer science but ultimately chose financial modelling. The application process is seperate. I got accepted into fin mod a couple months before I got accepted into Ivey AEO. (Note, you can switch between programs pretty easily in first year so a switch from fin mod to comp sci wouldnt be too hard)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AreebXAkhter AreebXAkhter
@seren
id really appreciate if you could find the time to do schulich and rotman
thank youu
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
^ Hey guys, thanks for the replies. So are you guys saying I can do Comp Sci + Ivey AEO WITHOUT taking any sciences, including computer sciences from high school???????????
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote
^ Hey guys, thanks for the replies. So are you guys saying I can do Comp Sci + Ivey AEO WITHOUT taking any sciences, including computer sciences from high school???????????

You need to have the prereqs for whatever program you choose.

So BMOS would be AF, 4U English or something, engineering would be AF, Calc, 4U English, Physics and Chem

I don't know what the prereqs would be for comp sci

You are applying to the comp sci program. It's just like any other program you would apply to. But then you apply for the AEO status at the same time, and you keep that until third year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asian123 asian123

@lemony wrote
Do McGill next!

+1000000000000000

@ serendipity, if possible, can you please do mcgill after Laurier/Rotman...

thank u
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@immaculatedx wrote
The application process is seperate. I got accepted into fin mod a couple months before I got accepted into Ivey AEO. (Note, you can switch between programs pretty easily in first year so a switch from fin mod to comp sci wouldnt be too hard)

Hey, since you said you can switch from fin modeling to comp sci in the first year pretty easily, do I need the pre reqs (physics, chem) from high school to apply to Comp sci + Ivey AEO?

g93 says I need to do it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Okay, Here's the rundown for Comp Sci:

English ENG4U, Advanced Functions MHF4U and two of the following: Calculus and Vectors MCV4U, Math of Data Management MDM4U, Biology SBI4U, Chemistry SCH4U, Physics SPH4U, Earth and Space Sciences SES4U or Computer and Information Science ICS4U. It is STRONGLY recommended that you take the Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors course. Any high school courses that contained some programming, whether they be a grade 12 or grade 11 or grade 10 course would definitely be helpful but are by no means required.

I successfully meet these requirements, as I have ENG4U0 and 3 maths. Will it hurt me if I didn't take physics/chem/computer science? I DID take computer engineering though.

So anyway, does this mean I can do a dual degree, w/ CS + HBA after 5 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Thank you!! This is a great thread. If you could do McGill that would be awesome!
Was this helpful? Yes 0