yconic - Wisdom Teeth
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Wisdom Teeth

A photo of artyboy artyboy
I have just gotten four of my wisdom teeth pulled out today, less than two weeks away from the start of university. I would say that was lucky as I don't have to miss school to get them taken out. My dentist didn't use apply anaesthesia with nitrous oxide, but I took some sedation medication orally, one liquid and two tablets before the surgery and my dentist injected anaesthesia in my gums. It was awake the whole time, but I did not really feel any pain. It just felt weird when he was opening my gums, since it sounded like a chainsaw. My body shaked for the first few times, but I got used to it. Make sure you close your eyes if you aren't put to sleep and you are easily nauseated by blood as there is a lot of it. I felt some pain when my dentist took my bottom wisdom teeth out because it was practically by brute force. Afterwards my face was numb and I was a little dizzy, but no side effects like in those youtube videos where people act weird. I used about 3 gauzes on each side for about 4-5 hours before the bleeding subsided. My cheeks are a little swollen, but I heard tomorrow they will be very swollen. I was prescribed painkillers, antibiotics, medication to reduce swollen, and some mouthwash.

Anyone else wants to account their experience? Does anyone know whether sleeping on the side is OK, so that the wounds don't bleed? Any food favourite people recommend? I am going to be eating a lot of congee, since my family is Chinese.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I had a great wisdom teeth extraction experience (or at least as good as it can get). I only had to get my bottom 2 out, they were impacted. I received GA and was knocked out for the whole thing so I didn't feel any of it. My lower jaw/lips were numb for several hours afterwards and I kept drooling because of the gauze in my mouth. I felt kind of out of it (same feeling I get from lack of sleep) but the bleeding stopped within 2-3 h. I was eating mashed potatoes and congee by the next day. Pain wasn't bad, I only took 1 of my T4s (on day 2) even though I was prescribed 10 days' worth. By day 3 I was eating regular food again (nothing super chewy though). The swelling took about a week to go down and I had to keep flushing debris out of the holes left behind in my gums with an oral syringe for about 2 weeks. That was kind of annoying since I could feel food particles get stuck in there, or I would keep playing with the stitches with my tongue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
have to get mine out soonish :( but I get to keep at least one. maybe even two! the other two are compleeetely impacted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lkhuong Lkhuong
I just got all 4 of mine out as well, luckily, 1 week before school starts also! I had 3 partially exposed and 1 fully impacted. I received freezing (via needles) in my gums and on the roof of my mouth, though I must say I didn't feel them or my teeth being pulled. Completely painless and sensation-less. Afterwards however, they have been acting up. Quite sore, luckily I have a prescription for pain meds : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I was told to get put to sleep if possible, that the experience of getting your teeth pulled out of your mouth while you are awake is NOT pleasant. I'm glad I did, although I don't like the feeling of being put under. It's a lot different from just falling asleep, as you literally have no sense of how much time has passed or what happened. I woke up in the clinic and my mom took me home and I fell asleep. I freaked out when I woke up because the freezing had worn off and I was in pain and couldn't remember what happened.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Unknown4Always Unknown4Always
What is the reason you have to get your wisdom teeth pulled?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of monkey245 monkey245

@Unknown4Always wrote
What is the reason you have to get your wisdom teeth pulled?

Usually because they'll mess up your other teeth if they're allowed to grow in. I had all four taken out... the bottom ones were practically sideways. The top ones were apparently the smallest my dentist had ever seen but they were taken out anyway - because I'd already had braces and it wasn't worth the risk, I guess.

Experience-wise, I was completely out for the whole thing, which as ktel said is not like sleeping... more like being dead. That was interesting and not unpleasant. Then my face swelled up a lot and I had pretty bad bruises. Sadly it was early September so I had to go to school before my face was back to normal or risk falling behind in my classes - I covered the swelling with a scarf, but my dignity did not survive unscathed as my friends said I looked like a terrorist rather than a chipmunk.

All in all, the operation (which I was freaked out about) is easier than having a cavity filled if you're not awake for it, but the recovery kind of sucks and is best scheduled for a time when you can be a recluse until everything calms down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Hmm perhaps I should just get it done now and get it over with before school. Then again if I end up with a job interview that could be bad...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of monkey245 monkey245
A job interview would not be ideal. Getting them out during university, as opposed to high school, could actually be okay (less class time and you could hide in the back of lectures) as long as you enlist a friend to bring you ice cream and such :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Skookybird Skookybird
Eep. Mine are just coming in. I hope they’re all straight...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Andi Andi
I had a very interesting experience with my wisdom teeth surgery. And by interesting, I mean terrible. Of the three surgeries I have had (tonsillectomy, laproscopy, and widsom teeth extraction), my wisdom teeth was the worst by far. I had all four, and I had to get them removed when I was 16 because I did not have room in my mouth. Worse, I had to get them taken out before they started to grow in, or they would make my orthodontically-straightened teeth crooked all over again.

The long and short of it is that 1 in 1000 people wakes up during surgery. And I was the lucky one. I woke up as they were cutting open my bottom right jaw. It was the worst pain you could ever imagine. I was screaming and thrashing around (actaully, I think I was too sedated to thrash, but I felt like I was). They turned up the anasthetic and knocked me back out, but I still remember. I still have nightmares about it. And whenever I have an ache, it is in that spot.

That night my mouth was still numb because they had injected awhole bunch of freezing agent right into my jaw when I woke up to numb the pain. In fact, my tongue tingled for days. My surgeon called me to check on me and told me I had a mouth like a sailor. I guess I swore a little bit. Oops.

The next day I was home alone, and doped up on painkillers, I watched something like ten straight hours of The Hills and Tila Tequila. I was so stoned that I thought they were the greatest shows ever. A few weeks later I was still having a lot of pain in my lower right jaw, and it was really swollen. I was on the bus when suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my lower right jaw and my mouth filled with this terrible-tasting fluid. I had to get off the bus so I could spit, and what I spit out was pus. I was with my boyfriend, and he looked in my mouth and saw a hole going down all the way into my jaw. Turns out it was an abcess which burst.

So there is my disgusting story :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Unknown4Always Unknown4Always

@Andi wrote
I had a very interesting experience with my wisdom teeth surgery. And by interesting, I mean terrible. Of the three surgeries I have had (tonsillectomy, laproscopy, and widsom teeth extraction), my wisdom teeth was the worst by far. I had all four, and I had to get them removed when I was 16 because I did not have room in my mouth. Worse, I had to get them taken out before they started to grow in, or they would make my orthodontically-straightened teeth crooked all over again.

The long and short of it is that 1 in 1000 people wakes up during surgery. And I was the lucky one. I woke up as they were cutting open my bottom right jaw. It was the worst pain you could ever imagine. I was screaming and thrashing around (actaully, I think I was too sedated to thrash, but I felt like I was). They turned up the anasthetic and knocked me back out, but I still remember. I still have nightmares about it. And whenever I have an ache, it is in that spot.

That night my mouth was still numb because they had injected awhole bunch of freezing agent right into my jaw when I woke up to numb the pain. In fact, my tongue tingled for days. My surgeon called me to check on me and told me I had a mouth like a sailor. I guess I swore a little bit. Oops.

The next day I was home alone, and doped up on painkillers, I watched something like ten straight hours of The Hills and Tila Tequila. I was so stoned that I thought they were the greatest shows ever. A few weeks later I was still having a lot of pain in my lower right jaw, and it was really swollen. I was on the bus when suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my lower right jaw and my mouth filled with this terrible-tasting fluid. I had to get off the bus so I could spit, and what I spit out was pus. I was with my boyfriend, and he looked in my mouth and saw a hole going down all the way into my jaw. Turns out it was an abcess which burst.

So there is my disgusting story :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0