yconic - WLU accounting questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

WLU accounting questions

A photo of heyppl123 heyppl123
what is the average for AFM and PA? how much ECs do i need? if i failed this environmental science course in grade 11, will the university see that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of g93 g93
PA and FM are Waterloo, not Laurier.

For Waterloo AFM (both PA and FM), you need a low-mid 80 (expected 83/84/85) average to write the AFMAA. After the test, a few offers will be given to the top students regardless of marks and ECs. Then a second round of offers will begin and the student's performance on the AFMAA, AIF form (ECs mostly, but must be well-written), and marks will be evaluated and that decides who gets the offers.

PA has only 85 spots, and is the harder on eto get into, and had an admission average of ~92 last year (not confirmed, but as good as you'll get). FM has 215 spots this year, and had ~89 admission average last year. Some people who apply for PA will get an alternate offer to FM, but most will get it to Arts/Business, since FM is also very hard to get into.

Someone on here in the program said that the cutoff for PA for the second round of offers is 90, while FM is 88.

If you do well on the AFMAA, and have very high marks, you will not need as strong ECs. If your marks are a bit lower, you will definitely need strong ECs. Having a well-written AIF form will help as well, as there are a couple written questions on it.

They will be able to see your enviro course from Grade 11, but as long as your marks are high enough to get an invite to the AFMAA, and high enough to make you competitive for offers, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you are very comparable to some other guy who didn't fail, then it would.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vincerz vincerz

@g93 wrote

For Waterloo AFM (both PA and FM), you need a low-mid 80 (expected 83/84/85) average to write the AFMAA. After the test, a few offers will be given to the top students regardless of marks and ECs. Then a second round of offers will begin and the student's performance on the AFMAA, AIF form (ECs mostly, but must be well-written), and marks will be evaluated and that decides who gets the offers.

PA has only 85 spots, and is the harder on eto get into, and had an admission average of ~92 last year (not confirmed, but as good as you'll get). FM has 215 spots this year, and had ~89 admission average last year. Some people who apply for PA will get an alternate offer to FM, but most will get it to Arts/Business, since FM is also very hard to get into.

Someone on here in the program said that the cutoff for PA for the second round of offers is 90, while FM is 88.

If you do well on the AFMAA, and have very high marks, you will not need as strong ECs. If your marks are a bit lower, you will definitely need strong ECs. Having a well-written AIF form will help as well, as there are a couple written questions on it.

They will be able to see your enviro course from Grade 11, but as long as your marks are high enough to get an invite to the AFMAA, and high enough to make you competitive for offers, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you are very comparable to some other guy who didn't fail, then it would.

FM cut off is definitely not 88. Your admission averages might be accurate but I don't think you can put a cut off for these programs because they weigh the AFMAA so much.

I got into FM first round acceptance with 2 scholarships and an 87 average.

I also have a friend who got deferred to FM with an 92 average.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@vincerz wrote

@g93 wrote

FM cut off is definitely not 88. Your admission averages might be accurate but I don't think you can put a cut off for these programs because they weigh the AFMAA so much.

I got into FM first round acceptance with 2 scholarships and an 87 average.

I also have a friend who got deferred to FM with an 92 average.

Ya, I was kind of doubting that too, it was just someone on here in PA's words. Probably just a rumour. The averages was from someone on the old forum and they were pretty confident, and they make more sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith

@g93 wrote

If someone gets a perfect score on the afmaa, and they have an 83 average, they will get accepted for sure?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@JoeSmith wrote

@g93 wrote

If someone gets a perfect score on the afmaa, and they have an 83 average, they will get accepted for sure?

Depends on what the cutoff is. I hear 82/83/84, maybe even 85. But if you get an invite to the AFMAA, and you get a perfect score, you will get an offer whether you have an 83 or a 99.

Offers of Admission
The AFMAA is an extremely important factor in the selection of AFM students for Fall 2011. Each student's assignment will be marked without reference to his/her admission average or biographical information. You can expect one of four results:

•If you fulfill the admission requirements and perform extremely well on the AFMAA, you will be admitted to the AFM program of your choice as soon as possible.
•If you fulfill the admission requirements and are not admitted initially due to your performance on the AFMAA, you will be reviewed on an individual basis. Further consideration for admission will be based on your academic performance, your AFMAA results and your Admission Information Form (AIF).
•If you fulfill the admission requirements but do not perform well on the AFMAA, you will not receive an offer of admission and you will not be considered further for the Accounting and Financial Management program for Fall 2011.
•If you are not invited to write or choose not to write the AFMAA, you will not be considered for admission to the Accounting and Financial Management (FM/PA) program.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think the cutoff for invites is 85+. I remember reading on the AFM site that in 2010 there were around 800 students writing the Afmaa and 3k+ students applying for the program. The majority of the people apply would have an average less than 85.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@JoeSmith wrote
I think the cutoff for invites is 85+. I remember reading on the AFM site that in 2010 there were around 800 students writing the Afmaa and 3k+ students applying for the program. The majority of the people apply would have an average less than 85.

Low-mid 80s is what Waterloo still says. I think I read somewhere where they said they expect 83/84/85, but I don't remember where. I may try and dig it up.

Remember, they want people's money (their only real limitation is space).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well if the cutoff is 83 and around 800-1000 students write the afmaa, then there are 2k+ students with an average less than 83?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@JoeSmith wrote
well if the cutoff is 83 and around 800-1000 students write the afmaa, then there are 2k+ students with an average less than 83?

Some don't make it out to write it. And I heard that years prior they had less than 3,00 applicants, and this year they expect 3,000 for the first stime.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey g93, do you know what average you might need for Math/CA?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@JoeSmith wrote
Hey g93, do you know what average you might need for Math/CA?
Thanks

Waterloo scores your AIF out of 12 and adds that to your mark (so total is 112). You will need at least a 90 to be considered, but a 95 is probably what you want to be at. If you have great ECs, you could get in with a low 90, if you have poor ECs, you're going to need a high 90. A well-written AIF will help.

I chose not to apply for Math/CA because the chances of me getting in were slim, as no one in our school is above 95 and my ECs aren't that great. Plus I didn't want to do heavy math in university and the Laurier BBA and Waterkoo AFM are good options for me anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0